WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by MtDoraDave View Post
    That's what I wear, as well (except the toe socks).

It's been almost 3 weeks since my last section hike, and as a person who had never done more than 15 miles in one day (usually 13 or 14 max), my last day of hiking was 17 miles (mostly downhill) - the balls of both feet were sore for a couple weeks, and the left foot is still sore in the mornings.

I say this because the OP said they have never done more than 15, and plan two 20 milers back to back. Be careful. Overdoing it can put a damper on things for a while. Fatigued bodies are more likely to have trouble with normal things like ... walking without tripping.
    Thanks MtDora. I have a few things in my favor for these hikes. For one, I won't be carrying much weight. Just food for the day, water and some other small things. Also, I'll be going home after each one. Finally, I am forced to take it slow with the shoulder issue I have. But I agree with you. This will be a challenge and it has me up at night. I'll do the first day (the slightly lesser of the two hikes) and go from there. The trail will always be there.

Traveler - I won't have more than 10lbs on my back for these hikes and I'll be commuting from home each day. This was initially going to be a three day backpacking trip but then I dislocated my shoulder. So a buddy and I devised a plan to still hike, but not to carry pack weight since I can't. I am not going to kill myself. My wife would be angry with me.

The first day is actually 18 miles. It's day 2 that has me concerned. But I am going to be smart about this.

Journal Entries

hiked the entire AT in 2011 wearing only Keen's. Took me three progressively larger pair (averaging about 700 miles per pair) but all three hiked great out of the box with no break in time needed.

Quote Originally Posted by jpolk84 View Post
    Many folks have ditched boots for shoes. I primarily hike in shoes though I own a set of Keen boots which I really like. That said, I have fewer blisters with shoes. I keep the boots for snow or otherwise adverse conditions and shorter hikes if I think I need them. If I were doing 40mi I'd go with shoes.
    I'd go trail shoes as well. I've had much less blisters this way, but some people need boots for the ankle support. I never have, but I pack very light and this helps put less stress on them.

Walked one and a half days into Port Clinton missing the sole of one shoe. Found a thoroughly beat pair of Keen's in my size in the hiker box at the pavilion!! Completed rest of section to Harriman S.P. including 38 mile day. Most excellent trail magic!

Keens are great for box nice size long wearing few blisters used during 2007 thru on the AT

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Keens are my favorite in terms of of fit/feel. Unfortunately, the last three pairs fell apart within 2 months of purchasing them (just wearing them on casual hikes and around town). I refuse to buy them any longer. So I'm sad. But what can you do? The shoes feel good, hike well, but wear for crap. No way would I trust them on a longer hike. Keen...are you listening...upgrade your crappy manufacturing!!

Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    I have had 2 pairs of Keen's and each has lasted about 300 AT miles. The only way to get them to last that long is to take your pocket knife and do surgery to remove any of the knobs that start to peel off on the sole of the shoe. This is required after about a hundred miles. If you inspect them each morning you will be able to see when to cut one off. I usually end up cutting one off about once a week. I have a pair I still use that has had all of them cut off. Don't be afraid to slice one off. It won't cause water to leak in or make you walk funny. If you fail to cut the knobs off when they start to fail they will peel off a much larger hunk of shoe and they won't make it to 200 miles. It's a bad design for the material the sole is made from.
    300 AT miles for a pair of shoes seems like garbage, personally. I'd be pissed if my shoes only lasted that long. I had a pair of Merrells last me from Rockfish Gap outfitters to Katahdin, then 400 miles of hikes past that at home. I'd expect to get a minimum of 1000 miles out of a pair of hiking shoes, personally.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stitches View Post
    Love my Keens Targhees because they have a wide toe box. Agree with Del Q. I have hiked many miles in them with nary a problem. I will buy another pair when these wear out.
    Ditto ...
    Hiked 1400 miles , two pairs of Targhees, love them, soles do crap out a little after 4 or 5 hundred miles but they are oh so comfortable right from day one and a big ol ' toe box. About to buy my fourth pair.

My feeling is that the 4 characteristics in selecting a boot are:
    - cost
    - comfort
    - traction
    - longevity

For me, the Keen Targee II's checks 3 of those 4 boxes.

The cost is reasonable at ~ $120.

The comfort is OUTSTANDING! Only boots I've ever owned that never gave me a blister.

The traction rivals that of my old rock climbing shoes.

The he longevity is their weak link. I'm on my 4th pair. I'd estimate somewhere around 6-700 miles per pair.

For me, the lack of longevity is far outweighed by comfort, traction and a reasonable cost.

Good luck, be safe!

4r

I swear by Keen Targhee's.

I picked up a pair of Keen Voyageurs a few weeks back. My god, they are little pillows of heaven on my feet. I love the wide foot box.

Just bought a pair a few days ago. Today will be my first day in them. I have big feet so they were the ones that fit the best.

Love my Keen Targhee II mids. The only problem is they don't hold up, I usually only get a season or two out of them before they fall apart. That being said, I keep buying them because they fit so well.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Love my Keen Liberty Ridges!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++