WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Dialing in Clothing for Long Trail Nobo starting Sep 12

I'm setting out on the Long Trail beginning Sep 12 for 3 to 4 weeks (whatever it takes me). Besides what I'm wearing (150 weight short sleeve wool top, Sportkilt hiking kilt, ex-officio boxer briefs, smartwool socks, dirty girl gaiters over Cascadias), I'll be carrying the following in my clothes bag:

1 extra pair socks for hiking
    1 additional pair socks for sleeping
    1 extra Ex-Officio boxer briefs
    1 150 weight long sleeve wool shirt
    * 1 150 weight long wool bottoms
    toque
    Marmot dri-clime windshirt
    lightweight, hooded down puffy (for camp and to supplement by 30F Western Mountaineering Bag w/ Sea to Summit silk liner)

rain jacket
    ULA rain wrap
    lightweight glove liners
    MLD eVent Rain mittens
    ChromeDome hiking umbrella (makes walking all day in the rain less unpleasant)

I'm debating leaving the long wool bottoms at home (they weight 7 oz.). I usually hike in a kilt even in late fall (November in PA) and early spring (March).

Any advice, particularly on the long wool bottoms???
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Ever hike in long lighter wt, both in terms of apparel and added warmth, synthetic bottoms under the kilt? I see that occasionally in cooler brisk wetter weather. Don't need all wool apparel. For Sept on the LT with what you already have taking along synthetic Cap 1 Patagonia or even the lightest wt Hot Chillys or Polartec bottoms will save ya about 3, maybe 4 ozs, in your size compared to merino wool thermals.

Don't know your sheltering anticipations but you're now back on a thru with regular lean tos so that can play into lightening up your kit. It's my best guess with your range of experiences I don't think you'll find you absolutely require long bottoms for sleep with what you're already intending to carry and with the availability of on trail shelters. The LT shelters are not quite the mass mobbed shelter scenes in fall as on the AT during peak usage.

Any reason for the rain kilt? I find when I have an umbrella up that the only bit of my legs that gets wet is the bottom half.......

Images

Dogwood, thanks for the pointers. I have worn the bottoms exactly once and then only for a couple of hours.

Pauly-j, I've been hiking in heavy rain for 3 days in a row and find the rain kilt (over my hiking kilt) helps me keep "less wet" and yet does not cause buildup of heat and "wet from sweat".
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Usually I like 2 extra pair of hiking socks for long hikes with rain potential, just to be safe. Hard to dry them out if you get a few days where the sun disappears, but maybe that's just my hatred of wet feet in the morning.
    Still a good chance of heat waves (along with some cold temperatures). Would you not be hot in the wool t-shirt if you get hit with some 80 degree weather? Maybe my wool stuff is too low-tech!

Regarding the wool bottoms, I doubt you'll need them. I just bring any sort of synthetic light pants for the cool nights before I get in my bag

Images

I almost always take the 150-wt wool long john bottoms - I had them last summer on the LT in July and wore them almost every night to sleep, supplementing my very light 45F down quilt. (I had my WM down parka for the same reason, wore that most nights and also around camp a fair amount.)

So if it were me I would take them. Can't really help with your decision.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Last August/Septemeber on the LT I almost always put my long johns on in camp and for bed. I just felt colder in Vermont. I wasn't the only one either layering up.

I say for an LT thru hike in Septemeber, better to be cussing the extra half pound of warmness in your pack if you don't use it rather than getting the chills and ruining a good time.

If I were to hike the LT around that time again I would bring:

20* insulation, hammock quilts or sleeping bag.

hiking shorts
    hiking shirt
    exoficcio's
    baseball cap
    hiking socks
    trail runners
    dirty girls

in my pack:
    extra hiking socks
    sleep socks
    extra running shorts for camp with liner
    long johns top
    long johns bottom
    down puffy
    rain gear
    wool glove liners
    fleece hat

I may even through in a lightweight fleece vest or pullover. something in the 8oz range.

There were times hanging out in camp at elevation that it was just chilly and I had on all my layers besides rain gear. I was just comfortable enough. Sometimes we were cold enough that it was time to crawl into the sleeping bag.

I should say that if you just plan on hiking, hiking, hiking, and then going right into your bed then you can get away with less clothes. If you plan on hanging around camp at all then bring an extra layer or two.

More importantly, have a blast, the LT is sweeeet!

"There were times hanging out in camp at elevation that it was just chilly and I had on all my layers besides rain gear. I was just comfortable enough. Sometimes we were cold enough that it was time to crawl into the sleeping bag."

It may be important to note that if you do spend much time in camp walking about/hanging out outside of your sleeping bag/quilt you might have greater use for the thermal bottoms. But, if you're in the habit of staying at lean tos, lodges, etc at elev on the LT or upon ceasing hiking relatively quickly jump into your bag or under a quilt less to no need for thermal bottoms as the bag/quilt serve the warming purpose and a corner spot in the lean to reduces convective heat losses.

Images

I'm much more a hiker than a camper, so I don't hang out in camp much. Usually, I hike until about a half hour before dark, set up camp, make and eat dinner (often, gasp, from my sleeping bag, though I'm super careful not to spill). In spring and fall, I find I'm often eating and cleaning up by headlamp since the days are shorter. Thanks for the pointers.

I'm driving to N Adams tomorrow and will report on how the setup works on my return in Oct.
    Handlebar

Quote Originally Posted by handlebar View Post
    I'm much more a hiker than a camper, so I don't hang out in camp much. Usually, I hike until about a half hour before dark, set up camp, make and eat dinner (often, gasp, from my sleeping bag, though I'm super careful not to spill). In spring and fall, I find I'm often eating and cleaning up by headlamp since the days are shorter. Thanks for the pointers.

I'm driving to N Adams tomorrow and will report on how the setup works on my return in Oct.
    Any trip reports? Adding a fall LT thru to my list....

Journal Entries

I dont bring sleep socks. I dont sleep in socks at home. The wt is better put to use in down , ie right bag for conditions.

Extra boxers??? Pansy

I carry lighter synthetic long johns that dry faster. Wool is several oz heavier. Doesnt make much diff though.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 05-10-2016 at 12:56.

There have been times on the LT. even in summer months, when I was glad to have some insulation for the legs. I'd think that by late September (especially if you are Northbound) or early October, there is a good chance that you want something for your legs, especially in camp.

I did my LT thru hike in September 2013. Be prepared for very cold and very wet. I would take at least 2 pair of merino wool hiking socks, and a dry pair of sleeping socks. Be ready to hike all day in 30s - 40s temps with rain, and deep mud. End of the day you want some dry warm clothes to change into in camp.

weather early September can be warm, sometimes hot daytimes, with chilly nights. By mid September, it changes fast, I had a week solid of days in the 30s-40s with cold rain and wind all day, and the mud was bad bad bad! lol

but the luckiest weather was having 4 straight days of perfect sunny Fall weather going over Camels Hump & Mansfield. From Smugglers Notch to Journey's End we had cold rain every day, with going over Jay Peak the worst day of high winds, ice and sleet/freezing rain. Loved every minute! Have a great hike

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Since you asked - I'd add a light fleece shirt or pullover, mine is 10 ounces.

Journal Entries
    Images

I'd can the bottom, what is your sleeping pad, also often you will have 4 or 5 days of food.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Any trip reports? Adding a fall LT thru to my list....
    Sorry to take so long responding. My journal is at www.trailjournals.com/handlebar You'll have to click the 2015LT button to get that journal as the URL links to my AZT journal. Didn't carry and didn't need the long john bottoms, though it would have been nice to put on while hitching at North Jay Pass in the dwindling light of a cold, rainy, windy day. We took refuge in a huge front end loader parked there to put on all our clothes. Naturally, as I was changing, out of the wind and rain, my buddy was successful in flagging down a ride and I had to hustle to join him. It was a great hike; but beware, the northern end is one of the most difficult sections I have ever hiked.
    Handlebar

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

If you're finishing in mid-October, you'll be likely to get sleet, freezing rain, likely even some snow at the high elevations, by the end of the trip. In the Adirondacks at the same time of year, I'm always in my baselayer when I'm in camp. I'm often glad to have my fleece jacket, too, because sometimes the puffy is just too much, and it's hard to keep a puffy dry in the kind of weather you're likely to have. The fleece isn't as warm, but it stays warm even when wet.

It's a great time of year to be out there, but you'll be happier having your fleecies.

fastfoxengineering's clothing list pretty matches mine, except that I have polyester glove liners rather than wool ones, wear a cheaper brand of skivvies, and have convertible hiking pants rather than just running shorts.

Vermont's black bear season opens in September, and archery season opens October 1 for turkeys, deer and moose. Bring your orange gear.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

++ New Posts ++