Journal Entries
    Images

Default Average Miles between resupply in WA & OR

Anyone know the average miles between resupply option in these 2 states?
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Images

It spends on resupply but here are mine. Likely about 100.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Don't get locked into a typical LD hiker mindset wanting/NEEDING?/REQUIRING/DEMANDING the most convenience of resupply and the resupply options can be expanded beyond what is generally communicated. It shortens the distance between resupply.

AT - 2013 PCT - 2014
    Journal Entries

Stevens pass is a great place to send a package as well. See https://www.stevenspass.com/site/summer/services/hiking

I think the longest I went was about 125 miles and in some of those stretches there were options to make those segments shorter if you didn't mind leaving the trail on a side-trail.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Journal Entries
    Images

Thanks everyone!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Don't get locked into a typical LD hiker mindset wanting/NEEDING?/REQUIRING/DEMANDING the most convenience of resupply and the resupply options can be expanded beyond what is generally communicated. It shortens the distance between resupply.
    Thanks & I understand, that's why I was curious! I know it's much more spread out & the towns are much further away than on the AT. I'm a lollygagger so I don't mind longer hitches & frolicking through small Americana towns to resupply. I mainly want to keep from having to carry 7-10 days worth of food with me all the time.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by wornoutboots View Post
    Thanks & I understand, that's why I was curious! I know it's much more spread out & the towns are much further away than on the AT. I'm a lollygagger so I don't mind longer hitches & frolicking through small Americana towns to resupply. I mainly want to keep from having to carry 7-10 days worth of food with me all the time.
    If you are planning on doing a full SoBo you won't be able to lollygag. There is a reason that SoBo has a very low success rate. If you are happy just doing Canada to Tahoe then lollygag away. The people I know that successfully did a complete SoBo were anything but lollygaggers.

Images

Heads up, Harts Pass may be closed for summer.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/okawen/news-events/?cid=FSEPRD499864

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    If you are planning on doing a full SoBo you won't be able to lollygag. There is a reason that SoBo has a very low success rate. If you are happy just doing Canada to Tahoe then lollygag away. The people I know that successfully did a complete SoBo were anything but lollygaggers.
    I understand, and I'll see how it goes, I'm not the "gotta get my miles in" kinda guy, I love to check out the small towns I resupply in verses get in & get out. I do understand that this is not the AT where you can bounce into town every other day. It's about the adventure anyway, if I don't finish this year, the trails isn't going anywhere & I can head back out next year. With only an average of 100 sobo hikers each year on the PCT, the loneliness will be my largest battle of all. So anyway, depending on this years high snow levels (which is melting very quickly) I'll take it as it comes. My only real concern is getting through the Sierra before everything closes for the year in mid-October. After playing around with craigspctplanner, here's what I've come up with which doesn't include a dozen or so neros & zeros.
    Manning Park to US/Mexico Border 7-4-16 to 12-8-16 (5.3 months) 2,663.5 mi16.9 mi/day.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    Heads up, Harts Pass may be closed for summer.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/okawen/news-events/?cid=FSEPRD499864
    Yeah I saw that, I've been studying that area religiously! Thanks Malto!

++ New Posts ++