WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I probably blow up my 2L platapus bladder and/or use my shoes more than any other item(s) for my back country pillow. When not being used for a shelter, I will use my shelter/rain-gear as a pillow. I used to use extra clothing in a stuff sack as my pillow, but these days, when I crawl into bed, the only things I have that I'm not wearing or using as shelter are my pack, my cooking gear, my food, my first aid/emergency kit, and my shoes. On an unexpectedly warm night, I might have some warm cloths, but they usually get put on before morning if I planned well. I find my food bag to be too lumpy and I don't like to squish it with my fat head. My stove and pots aren't very comfortable, and my backpack is often under my legs/feet.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

My husband and I used the SeaToSummit Aeros inflatable pillow last year. Super comfortable and lightweight. Pretty expensive, though, and about 4 months into the hike both pillows started losing air. tried to patch them but there were many, many small holes in the part where your head touches the pillow. That being said, I still think I would buy another one.

I just bought the Sea to Summit Aeros UL pillow. Used it a couple times--I love it. 2.5 oz. Totally worth it for a good night's sleep, IMO. Beats fiddling with your jacket trying to get it in the perfect sleeping configuration.

When I'm not hammock hanging I use this http://klymit.shopgate.com/item/353735

Springer to James River Foot Bridge in long sections.

Quote Originally Posted by Secondmouse View Post
    ugh.. as if we didn't have enough "what's the best?" threads...

but I find myself being in the unenviable position of hating my pillow. I'm a back and/or side sleeper and I don't carry enough spare clothing to reliably make a comfortable pillow using a stuff sack. and the ones I have tried are either uncomfortable, too heavy, or slide out from under my head all night long.

so what do you use that you like?..
    Here's what I use, Exped UL: http://www.exped.com/usa/en/air-pillow-ul-m

I'm a side sleeper, tried all kinds of variations of stuff sacks, clothes bag, pack, etc. I finally bought this on sale for around $26 a few years ago and love it. The consistent thickness makes it much more comfortable than a makeshift sack stuffed with various clothing/food items. I tend to roll over a lot during the night and it stays put on my pad and makes my sleep so much better. It is also contoured to fit your head. When I sleep on my back (1% of the time) I don't need a pillow. But because I'm a side sleeper I really need one to keep my neck/spine straight. For such a small item the price seems like a ripoff. But in hindsight I would gladly purchase this again. I see these are around $45 now at retail. I would purchase it at this price, as well. Mine is 1.9 oz, they are now listed at 1.6 oz. It packs up so small I almost lose it amoungst my other gear. Not even two full breaths to inflate.

Quote Originally Posted by Glacier View Post
    When I'm not hammock hanging I use this http://klymit.shopgate.com/item/353735
    I tried this on a couple of hikes so far. I under inflate it and put it in a stuff sack with some spare clothes on top for more cushioning. It was just OK, nothing special. If you use it alone fully inflated, it still kept squirting out from under my head when sleeping. I'm going back to the water wings. Way more comfortable for my sleeping style.

the Klymit X-pillow is on Amazon for $19 in red or $22 in camo. I ordered the red, will let you know how I like it...

Journal Entries
    Images

I'm another hammocker, and the collar and hood of my 0 degree winter bag is substantial enough that I don't need a pillow. I'm due an upgrade for a summer bag and don't know what I'll be getting yet. When I was a tent-dweller, I always improvised a pillow with clothing and a small fleece bag I keep in my dry sack. Some on here have spoken of small down pillows...that sounds intriguing. I'd prolly still stuff it in the fleece bag, tho.

astounding I say! I ordered the Klymit PillowX this morning, right before I posted above at 10:23AM. I wanted to try it out for a trip this weekend and was counting on Amazon Prime's free 2-day shipping. however, I saw this qualified for free 1-day shipping so I thought what the heck...

anyway, I was out in my yard digging a trench for corrugated pipe when someone comes driving up my driveway. I wave, he waves, he gets out of the car and walks over to me and hands me an Amazon box with this pillow in it. I about fell on the ground.

I just ordered it THIS MORNING!!! astounding I say...

Well, while the Walmart pillow was cheap and really light, there's no way I'm going to be able to fit it in my pack, even in a compression sack. Back to the drawing board.

Mine is the Cush.

The stuff sack full of my extra clothes is.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.
    Images

At home, I buy a box of wine. Then I drink it. Then I rinse it out. After that I have a pillow. When it pops a leak, I repeat procedure. Sorta free pillow.
    Give me a mile of trail and I can show you the forest. Give me a mile of runway and I can show you the world.
    Long Trail Completed 2021.
    Collegiate Loop 2022

I did a review of my favorite pillow combination last week:

Everyone is going to say use your clothes in a stuff sack. Personally, my pillow is my luxury item. I carry an LLBean self inflating seat and use it for a pillow on top of my backpack and some clothes. I also use it to sit around the shelters. It is hard to describe how nice it can be to not sit in cold hard wood at the end of a day. I also have a sea to summit UL pillow that I blow up and put between my knees since I am a side sleeper. All this extra weight and I am still under 19 lbs base weight. Sometimes comfort is just too important to cut out of your gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

ok, I tried the Klymit Pillow X last night in my bed. Survey says: not as nice as my normal bed pillow but comfortable enough to let me sleep all night.

it took a few minutes adjusting the amount of air and getting used to having my head positioned in the center of the X but after it occurred to me that this might be similar to have my head cradled in someone's ample bosom, I drifted right off into dreamland...

Cocoon Aircore Hyperlite 13x17 - 2.4oz

or go plush

Cocoon Aircore Ultralight 13x17 - 3.7oz has fleece on one side (either nice on your face, or flip to keep from sliding off the mat)

can be had for about $20 shipped.

Journal Entries
    Images

Whenever we go traveling in the car, inadvertently I'll see possums and raccoons sleeping on the side of the road with these soft little red pillows under their heads. The look so comfortable, I'm thinking about maybe trying one of those. Not sure where they get them, though.

The other white meat

I roll up my frameless pack and put it in a stuff sack. In the past I've used my food bag, clothes in a stuffsack, inflated a water bladder with air or any combination of those.
    The pack in the sack is the firmest pillow of all.

Journal Entries
    Images

I just bought on of these Sea to Summits are REI for @ $35 here it is for only @ $26. I love it, perfect for keeping my spine aligned since I'm a side sleeper. http://www.cabelas.com/product/SEA-T...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++