WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default I hate to do this - what's your favorite pillow?..

ugh.. as if we didn't have enough "what's the best?" threads...

but I find myself being in the unenviable position of hating my pillow. I'm a back and/or side sleeper and I don't carry enough spare clothing to reliably make a comfortable pillow using a stuff sack. and the ones I have tried are either uncomfortable, too heavy, or slide out from under my head all night long.

so what do you use that you like?..

I'm a hammock hanger so a pillow really isn't required... however, I do like this one...

http://www.mec.ca/product/5042-895/m...isex/?q=pillow

It's quite small, down filled and just perfect for a hammock.

This one is my current favorite and the only inflatable pillow I've found that I like.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Montbell UL pillow ftw
    "eastern rain is made of skittles and one need only pack an appetite." - mweinstone

MontBell down sweater in a stuff sack

I use my pack but when it's wet, I just the sleeping bag stuff sack and a sweatshirt. Never used/tried a "real" pillow on hikes. Interesting tho, I might try one mentioned here some time.
    - Trail name: Thumper

Children's flotation water wings. Seriously. Got the tip from a poster here on Whiteblaze. I cut then in half and use both "arms" in a stuff sack with some spare clothing for more cushioning/padding. My head stays in place due to the water wing's shap. Since my head is anchored, the makeshift pillow is not trying to squirt out from under my head like so many other inflatable football-shaped pillows I have tried in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    This one is my current favorite and the only inflatable pillow I've found that I like.
    oh yeah, I forgot to add "too damn expensive" to the list above...

but thank you. this one seems to get good reviews and recommendation...

Quote Originally Posted by ggreaves View Post
    I'm a hammock hanger so a pillow really isn't required... however, I do like this one...

http://www.mec.ca/product/5042-895/m...isex/?q=pillow

It's quite small, down filled and just perfect for a hammock.
    wow, that's only $29CAD.

what's that in real money, like a buck two eighty?...

I use the Exped Air Pillow combined with a small piece of 2" thick firm foam underneath. I need the extra height because I sleep on my side. I originally thought that I'd have to use a stuff sack or pillowcase to hold them together, but they work just fine as is. I've used a lot of different pillows over the years, and this setup is by far the best for me.

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    Children's flotation water wings. Seriously. Got the tip from a poster here on Whiteblaze. I cut then in half and use both "arms" in a stuff sack with some spare clothing for more cushioning/padding. My head stays in place due to the water wing's shap. Since my head is anchored, the makeshift pillow is not trying to squirt out from under my head like so many other inflatable football-shaped pillows I have tried in the past.

This pillow is 3 ounces and is sold at Walmart in the aisle with the other pillows...they also sell zippered pillow covers for these:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-...illow/17047745

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Secondmouse View Post
    ugh.. as if we didn't have enough "what's the best?" threads...

but I find myself being in the unenviable position of hating my pillow. I'm a back and/or side sleeper and I don't carry enough spare clothing to reliably make a comfortable pillow using a stuff sack. and the ones I have tried are either uncomfortable, too heavy, or slide out from under my head all night long.

so what do you use that you like?..
    Stick toes of shoes under inflatable pad to incline and cradle head

Any amt of clothes is enough added to this. Even single pr spare socks.

Images

i use my Packa as a pillow in the hammock
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

I love my Big Sky Dream Sleeper pillow. It's inflatable, which allows me to adjust the firmness (I always use mine partially deflated as that makes it softer).

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    WHAT?!?! It's not $30 and doesnt have a gear outfitters logo on it. I dont believe for a second it could work. Too light also. ;-)

Has anyone used one of these? I'm just curious. The price is certainly good!
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

if I don't use a stuff sack that contains whatever clothes I'm not wearing at the time, for twenty years, my pillow has been my food bag. And bears haven't got it yet. I sleep like a little lamb.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    This pillow is 3 ounces and is sold at Walmart in the aisle with the other pillows...they also sell zippered pillow covers for these:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-...illow/17047745
    I have to thank you for this. I have been debating and researching for weeks about a camping/backpacking pillow. For the price and weight, you can't beat it...went to pick one up on my lunch hour. It might not pack down as small as some of the others, but I know it will give me a good night sleep and I can still squish it pretty flat under my food bag.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Stick toes of shoes under inflatable pad to incline and cradle head

Any amt of clothes is enough added to this. Even single pr spare socks.
    I do. I use shoes, my pack, etc. to raise the pad but it doesn't work when I lay on my side I need something to make a "step" up from my shoulder. I'm gonna invest in a real pillow...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++