WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Sawyer Squeeze Question

Please see picture... what is the purpose of the gray screw cap on the Sawyer Squeeze? Does anyone carry it with them? It has to be unscrewed every time I want to filter water, I could see myself easily losing it... just curious the benefit to it. Thanks.

2016-04-18 10.04.26.jpg

Rubber nipple comes off, can be used as an inline in camel back, or a gravity drip system over night. Both work well IMO. I squeeze mine, and still carry the grey cap on it.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Images

For attaching to a bag/hose for in-line filtering, or making your own hanging bag system. You can leave it at home
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

My unit didn't come with one last year. Is it a standard part?

I have bought 2-3. All came with it
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Squeeze only not mini

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had my second sawyer bag failure last week on fht thru...fortunately duct tape held enough to still let the bag to generate enough pressure to filter water....what's your back up? I guess I need to go back to a std thread bottle i.e. Smartwater so can use to filter or carry back up bag. Are evernew bags much more durable? I have been using a wide mouth 1l Gatorade bottle instead of SW as its easier to pour Gatorade powder into. Usually only carry 1 water bottle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^ questions for Salty, how old was the bag? The first bags, were very prone to splitting. Also, while the catchy title is "squeeze", they actually say to ROLL the bags, applying enough pressure (and back flush often, depending on silt). Do you roll to force the water thru the filter?
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Quote Originally Posted by rhjanes View Post
    ^^ questions for Salty, how old was the bag? The first bags, were very prone to splitting. Also, while the catchy title is "squeeze", they actually say to ROLL the bags, applying enough pressure (and back flush often, depending on silt). Do you roll to force the water thru the filter?
    Brand new bag this time...yep I roll not squeeze..brand new filter..I'm thinking a mouse might have chewed a hole in it possibly as I left outside my tent vestibule near my trash bag which a mouse got into. Had another fail on jmt which was also only used 7-10 days prior to my jmt hike.

I've used the squeeze since it came out and had many issues with the bags. My fix has been to simply use the bags as gravity feed. I might give a slight squeeze to get the water flowing but then let gravity do the rest of the work. I've also starting carrying a 20oz Smart water bottle. Couple of uses for it. As a backup to the Sawyer bags and to get water from slow moving or lake water (the sawyers bags are useless unless water is cascading or flowing.).
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Are evernew bags much more durable?
    Yes. I squeeze my evernew bag as hard as I can, and it has never failed after years of use.
    -tagg

Quote Originally Posted by tagg View Post
    Yes. I squeeze my evernew bag as hard as I can, and it has never failed after years of use.
    Thx I'll give them a shot

I've not had a bag fail yet in two years, although my 64ounce bag is starting to delaminates. What are you guys doing to them.

Images

I still carry the bag but almost exclusively use a smartwater bottle. I sometimes like to be able to just grab a liter of water and filter it later, especially in camp. The bottle is easier for me to deal with. I've made up some quick connects and can push the water through the filter and into my bladder without taking it out of the pack.

^^^ I've done that also. Sawyer makes a quick-connect kit also for doing that. Not sure I'm going to keep using a hydration bladder....in the pack. Hard to tell what is left in it, I get paranoid and refill it and carry a lot of water weight.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

The piece the OP was asking about: my hiking partner uses it to keep the filter sealed up when he puts it away inside a backpack pocket.

I just bought a squeeze, and it didn't come with the cap / cover on the nipple... I'll have to pick one up, so I can use the gray piece the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by MtDoraDave View Post
    The piece the OP was asking about: my hiking partner uses it to keep the filter sealed up when he puts it away inside a backpack pocket.

I just bought a squeeze, and it didn't come with the cap / cover on the nipple... I'll have to pick one up, so I can use the gray piece the same way.
    I have one if u want it. I have no need for it

++ New Posts ++