WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default How hot and crowded is SNP during late June?

Curious to conditions during late June as I'm looking for my next slower paced section to bring my son...since he didn't make the FHT trip...20+ mpd lil much for him...what would be a good 40-50 mile section. I'd try to go during the week to hopefully reduce crowds...another option is Grayson highlands or Roan mtn, I've already done those but not against doing again. Any input appreciated....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

Nearing the peak of Summer so it will be hot. Temperatures will be 80's for sure with some hotter days reaching lower 90's.

You will still have plenty of thru's although not as many as early June. Mid week is the best time to go if you go.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

You will want the Southern most section of the SNP to avoid the crowds. You never know what you will get with the weather although In late June the 90's should be the norm with thunder boomers common in the afternoon. 40 degree sleeping bags will be fine as well as hammock camping.

I agree with others about the heat and thunderstorms but I have hiked the park in June many times and done just fine. It will make the waysides that much nicer. You could also look into hiking south from the park which is a bit higher elevation. I hiked a 40 mile section south of the park a few years ago in June and it was hot but not unbearable (plus a few swimming options).

I've spent about 20 nights spread throughout the last 2 summers in snp. Although I am sure it gets hotter, low 80s was the warmest I experienced and high 40s the coldest. Average daily high is mid 70s and avg low is 50s.

http://www.guidetosnp.com/web/Inform...ndWeather.aspx

I too am planning a section in SNP in June. Am doing 40 miles from Compton Gap to Big Meadows in thee days around hike naked day. I can ignore crowds but worry about heat. Did a section around McAfee knob in July 2 years ago and found it not too oppressive. Temps were normal that week. Hot down in the below. Warm but pleasant up in the mountains. I was pleasantly suprised. Of course you can always hit a heat wave and all bets are off.

I've heard it's pretty hot in SNP right now.

I hiked through SNP from Waynesboro to Front Royal the end of July into August. It was SO HOT!!! (Actual temp =99 degrees at the Visitor Center and an even higher heat index due to the humidity!!!!) Even so, I would not give up that experience for anything! We were actually told to get off the trail by a ranger due to the heat index (sure, my car is only 50 miles North...) When we told him we would continue on to the next shelter and quit, he gave us a gatorade each.

Quote Originally Posted by shelb View Post
    I hiked through SNP from Waynesboro to Front Royal the end of July into August. It was SO HOT!!! (Actual temp =99 degrees at the Visitor Center and an even higher heat index due to the humidity!!!!) Even so, I would not give up that experience for anything! We were actually told to get off the trail by a ranger due to the heat index (sure, my car is only 50 miles North...) When we told him we would continue on to the next shelter and quit, he gave us a gatorade each.
    Sounds miserable....looks like I'll just do as usual.. Hang the pack up till October!

Rainydaykid FTW. with the current state of the southern district could make it less desirable to look at or the other way around really.

Depends on what part.

Spence field / Newfound Gap / Clingmans will be a nightmare.

++ New Posts ++