WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Quilt temp rating for long section hike?

I'm planning a 60-day section hike, beginning next May (2017). I will start on approximately May 6 on Springer and plan to hike as far as I can--hoping to do about 500 miles--by July 6. I will be using a hammock with top quilt and underquilt.

My question is this: Should I plan on taking quilts rated 10˚-15˚ or should I plan on quilts with a 30˚-35˚ rating? My first priority is to not freeze if there is a cold snap, of course. But would the winter quilts be overkill? I live in Texas, so I would have more use, on an ongoing basis, for the 30˚-35˚ quilts, but I'm willing and able to purchase the warmer ones if they are the better choice for this section hike. Ideally, I will do another long section in 2018 and will be able to use them again for that.

Please help me choose wisely.

I should add that I am female, and I do tend to sleep a bit cold.

Same time frame for the following year's hike?

10-15 degrees would be too warm for the majority of your hike. May in Georgia is starting to really warm up. I would go with a 30* system and learn to deal with a bit of discomfort if it gets colder than that.

Images

Well, on the one hand, we had frost on our tents on Springer on June 3 one year. It can get into the 30s at night in May at elevation, but I would be surprised if it got below 30, and most nights will be in the 40s and 50s at the coldest. My hiking partner, who is female and often cold, would bring her 30F Montbell bag, and her Montbell UL down parka -- together these would be enough for a cold snap, and she wears the parka around camp even in the summer.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I agree with the 30 degree rating. Its your best all around choice for that time of year and will save you weight. You can just sleep with more clothes on if the temp get gets below average. Whats your hammock and suspension?

Yes, it will be the same time frame for the 2018 hike. My hammock is a HH Hyperlite zip. Suspension is Dutchware spiders on webbing with sewn-in Dutch clips and whoopie slings.

Thank you for your advice. I am ready to order my 30˚ quilts now.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Onemorehill View Post
    Thank you for your advice. I am ready to order my 30˚ quilts now.
    I have to say that it can get mighty cold at elevation in the mountains, even in summer. For me, 30-degree quilts would never work. I'm a hammocker. Just a word to the wise, especially as you said you sleep cold.

My TQ and UQ are rated 20-degrees that I would take, were I you.

For what it's worth, the guidance I often hear given to thru-hikers is not to send their cold-weather gear home until after Mount Rogers in Virginia.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Rain Man, thank you for your input! Do you find that you swelter in your 20-degree quilts in June? Or are you able to be comfortable even as the weather warms up at the lower elevations?

So, bear with me....I'm trying to puzzle this out. I, too, have read the "not until after Mt. Rogers" advice.

Do you think that recommendation has mostly to do with the time of year? (If a thru hiker starts on, say, April 1, and it takes approximately 6 weeks to hike the 487 miles to Mt. Rogers, then the thru hiker would get there on about May 15. If I start on May 6, then I will get to Mt. Rogers on about June 17.) Would arriving at Mt. Rogers approximately 7 weeks after the thru hikers make a material difference in the temperatures to be expected?

Or is it more of a location thing? (Mt. Rogers' summit is at about 5700 feet, which is the highest point on the AT for miles.) Is the temp there likely to be quite cold (in the 30's or below) even in mid June?

What do you think???

I want to get this right.

Oops. Typo. I would arrive at Mt. Rogers approximately *5* weeks after the thrus that start on April 1.

Images

Don't forget that timeframe and direction puts you going thru the Smokys. While in the park staying in shelters is required, and I could never sleep in one without a good pad. This may affect your decisions.

You're right, Sandy. I'm planning to add a good pad in Fontana and then send it home after the Smokies, because of the shelter requirement. I've not had success with using a pad in the hammock, though--I move around too much at night and the pad does, too--usually in the opposite direction! So the pad will be just for ground sleeping.

yeah I would say 30* is right on the border of what's comfortable for that time/area. high humidity, a strong breeze, being wet/tired/hungry and you can easily fall right through the bottom of those temp ratings...

me, I like to build in a little headroom. it's easier to kick a leg out of a too warm cover than it is to make-do in unforeseen circumstances.

I also think a quilt has more trouble at the bottom of its temperature rating than a bag, but that's based on my experiences ground sleeping. YMMV...

Very good info. Thank you, Secondmouse.

You can always vent your uq, or push it to the side if not needed, then pull it back if you get cold. You can almost always cool your uq...you cant really warm it. I have a 15 and when I use it in the summer, I usually start off with it to the side. At some time I will pull it back under me. If it is a cooler night, I just loosen my suspension and let it vent a little. Ive never sweltered, but I have never thru hike either. Just my 2 cents...have a great trip!

20-30* quilt will be fine for you. Do you have camp clothes? Choose leggings and a l/s t-shirt if you have to choose anything so you can have an added insulation layer.
    "I choose to carry very little, but that little is chosen with care." Earl V. Shaffer

Quote Originally Posted by AngryGerman View Post
    20-30* quilt will be fine for you. Do you have camp clothes? Choose leggings and a l/s t-shirt if you have to choose anything so you can have an added insulation layer.
    Thanks. I actually just received my new TQ and UQ. I went with the JacksRBetter High Sierra SnivellerWinter Nest and Winter Nest. They are rated at 10 degrees, but I definitely sleep cold, so I figure at 10˚ quilt is really a 20˚ quilt for me. :-)

I do have "sleeping clothes," which consist of leggings and a long sleeve merino wool baselayer. So hopefully that will work.

That should do it! You wont be disappointed for sure!

The only clothes I pack typically are a pair of leggings; compression top; down or synthetic jacket, one pair of smart wool ankle socks for extras/sleeping, rain coat and rain kilt along w/a beanie cap and maybe rain mitts unless it's winter. Those tops and bottoms are ohhhhh sooooo essential along with that beanie cap!!!

Enjoy
    "I choose to carry very little, but that little is chosen with care." Earl V. Shaffer

Quote Originally Posted by AngryGerman View Post
    That should do it! You wont be disappointed for sure!

The only clothes I pack typically are a pair of leggings; compression top; down or synthetic jacket, one pair of smart wool ankle socks for extras/sleeping, rain coat and rain kilt along w/a beanie cap and maybe rain mitts unless it's winter. Those tops and bottoms are ohhhhh sooooo essential along with that beanie cap!!!

Enjoy

Thanks, AngryGerman. Is your beanie cap made of fleece? I'm trying to find one that doesn't just scoot up off my head when I'm sleeping. Nothing wants to stay put! I'm thinking of trying a balaclava, since it would have to work a lot harder to come off. But May is not a good time to shop for those in Texas. :-) I have plenty of time, though. I'll find something that works.

Hello fellow North Texan (Plano here).

I did a thru-hike with a 30 F bag and a liner. No problems. You're starting late, so you could probably do fine with a 40 F bag if you wanted to.

Mind you, I understand that when a Texan asks, "Is it cold out," they mean "Do I need more than shorts, T-shirt, and sandals?" On the AT, I found that people's definition of "cold" was extreme (below freezing), and their definition of "hot" was laughable (80s).

That said, I've never done a hammock, so I dunno if that means you have to chop a few degrees off your bag's rating.

Hope that helps!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++