WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote Rob View Post
    Hello fellow North Texan (Plano here).

I did a thru-hike with a 30 F bag and a liner. No problems. You're starting late, so you could probably do fine with a 40 F bag if you wanted to.

Mind you, I understand that when a Texan asks, "Is it cold out," they mean "Do I need more than shorts, T-shirt, and sandals?" On the AT, I found that people's definition of "cold" was extreme (below freezing), and their definition of "hot" was laughable (80s).

That said, I've never done a hammock, so I dunno if that means you have to chop a few degrees off your bag's rating.

Hope that helps!
    Coyote Rob, your post made me chuckle. That is EXACTLY what Texans mean when we ask if it's cold! If I need a sweater, it's cold! And after about July 15, any weather below about 95˚ is refreshing.

Thanks to all the input from the helpful people here (THANK YOU ALL), I decided on a 10˚ top quilt and underquilt. I'm a woman, and a Texan, and I sleep cold, so I figure that these will be the equivalent of about a 25˚ set, for me, which gives me a comfy margin of error and should keep me warm no matter what I encounter. I'm new to all this, so am choosing to err on the conservative side. I can change my mind later and adjust, if needed.

Happy Trails!

Late to the party but my philosophy is always this. Always get the coldest rated UQ you can. Weather can change on a mountain in a matter of minutes, and its better to have too much then too little. I've ordered a 10* UQ that will be my thu hike quilt. When it gets hot, I can vent it. When it gets bone chilling cold, I'll be fine. Just my 2 cents....Happy hiking.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++