WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: 20+ mpd hiking

Images

Quote Originally Posted by archie View Post
    I regularly hike 20+ mpd. I am also old, broke down, overweight and have very short legs. I am also naturally non gifted in athletic endeavors . I also happen find 20+ mile days to be very enjoyable.

I hear people telling me to stop and smell the roses a lot. I usually find those people sleeping in their shelters while I am out smelling the roses in the early am or hiking into a beautiful sunset in the pm. They miss out, not me.

I also hear the death march comment a lot. I feel like hiking is the opposite of a death march, it is invigorating and revitalizing. Sitting huddled up in a tent or hammock is more like a death sentence to me, I came to walk and that's what I love. Sure the feet hurt or the legs ache, but a little grit carries you through that and on to the next view around the next corner.

I don't hike really fast. I hike slow enough that I can be looking around and enjoying the landscape at all times. I soak in the beauty with every step. Why do so many think one can only smell the roses while seated? I pause frequently, but rarely stop. I get up, break camp and am on the trail before the light is. I hike as long as I can see to enjoy my surroundings, then I stop and go to sleep.

If I can regularly do 20+ mile days and have fun, anyone can. I am less than average when it comes to fitness and physical health. Its all a matter of your style and what you are in the woods or mountains for I guess. HYOH, but no reason to think that 20+ has to be a death march or mean you haven't smelled the roses.

what he said.

Another thing not mentioned is accessibility. I'd be interested to know where all the folks who 'regularly' hike long days are going....are you driving far or do you just live near good hiking options?

I live about 15 minutes from the Colorado Trail, but outside of that, "good" hiking (uncrowded, nice terrain) is a 1.5-2 hour drive. Unless you want to hike on the scorching exposed plains or on 5-mile baby trails with every runner, mom, and mountain biker in Denver. It's become a zoo here. I've done all the local hikes about 10 times and still do them out of convenience, but putting in 15-20 miles locally would entail doing the same loop or out-and-back several times, which for me is the complete opposite of fun. I want to see some changing scenery and hike towards a destination, not backtrack or cover the same trail repeatedly.

I am also one of those that is less comfortable simply sitting in camp for hours....and I tend to hike pretty fast, especially when solo

Quote Originally Posted by Wülfgang View Post
    Another thing not mentioned is accessibility. I'd be interested to know where all the folks who 'regularly' hike long days are going....are you driving far or do you just live near good hiking options?

I live about 15 minutes from the Colorado Trail, but outside of that, "good" hiking (uncrowded, nice terrain) is a 1.5-2 hour drive. Unless you want to hike on the scorching exposed plains or on 5-mile baby trails with every runner, mom, and mountain biker in Denver. It's become a zoo here. I've done all the local hikes about 10 times and still do them out of convenience, but putting in 15-20 miles locally would entail doing the same loop or out-and-back several times, which for me is the complete opposite of fun. I want to see some changing scenery and hike towards a destination, not backtrack or cover the same trail repeatedly.

I don't really hike very regularly. I mean when I do hike I often, or usually, do 20+ days. There is very little quality hiking near me. If there was I would possibly be in better shape! I hike a few 3-4 day trips each year on The NCT. I drive 1 to 4 hours to get there. Beyond that I do one other trip at least each year. For those I drive or fly. Even as infrequently as I get out, I still am able to hike 20+ and have an enjoyable time doing so. Colorado trail this year! Grand Teton National Park last year etc.

Images

Hello neighbor (fellow Littleton-ite)! I was assuming this particular topic/thread was referring to "destination hikes", like multi-day/week/month hikes, like the AT, PCT, CT, LT, whatever, a place you fly to, take a bus to, or like in our case, get dropped of to (the CT).

So not sure what you're asking/saying; are you looking for longer hikes in Colorado? Have you been into the LCW? You should go.... yes, still an hour+ drive depending on which trailhead, but way more than a hundred miles of trails with nice loops making great multi-day adventures. Then there's the Snowy range in WY... then there are amazing long hiking opportunities in Utah.

Myself and hiking buddies do day hikes all the time all over nearby areas in Colorado, but my thoughts below on this particular thread don't really apply to those hikes. their length is their length. But because we are all used to long days of hiking, we can do "day hikes" that involve some pretty deep-wilderness destinations. We do like to do loops whenever possible, vs out and back hikes, though sometimes you have no choice.

Finally: it has NOT become a zoo here, you're just choosing the wrong places (or times) to hike. For example, most times when we visit the LCW we OWN the place. Longer drive, but it's easy to get lost (avoid anyone) in the San Juan mountains. Just avoid the 14ers, which yes, have become a zoo. Thankfully there are about 600 13ers in Colorado, hardly ever crowded at all.

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by archie View Post
    ...I hear people telling me to stop and smell the roses a lot. I usually find those people sleeping in their shelters while I am out smelling the roses in the early am or hiking into a beautiful sunset in the pm. They miss out, not me...I also hear the death march comment a lot....
    Loved your post. It's human nature to think that anyone who moves slower than you is an idiot, and anyone who moves fast than you is a maniac. The speed you're traveling does not matter.

My 20+ mile local hikes often leave from my back door, using several miles of local roads to connect in several directions with Apex, Lookout Mt, Matthews-Winters/Red Rocks, Lookout Mt, Beaver Brook Trail, North and South Table Mts. Sometimes I bike to one of the many trailheads, as far as White Ranch or even Waterton Canyon via the C-470 and Chatfield trails. Often the well-used park trails are just a part of the distance and I don't mind the road walks if it means I don't have to drive. Walking through Golden's city streets, or on a mountain road to connect two parks, isn't an awful thing. Driving to go hiking, especially if I-70 is involved, is getting to be a real buzzkill.

Proximity to trails has always been a very important criterion in relocation. I'll put up with a lot of substandard conditions to keep from driving to recreate.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Default 20+ mpd hiking

re. destination, I originally thought my "target audience" would be AT thru hikers. I think I figured correctly that most of y'all are AT hiking. But I've discovered that I was incorrect in thinking that most of the 20 mpd folks were necessarily thru hikers. I was surprised to find that so many of y'all really enjoy that kind of distance, and are doing it strictly for the pleasure you get from it, and not just because you have to get to Katadyn by October. .
    For me personally, I was relating to the 3 weeks I spent on the southernmost section of the PCT, which starts 9 hours and 600 miles from my home in Sacramento.

I did 6 miles yesterday, up and over the Bald Pates. I was happy to hike it in 6 hours. A lot of it was like this:

image.jpeg

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jefals View Post
    When I'm backpacking, I feel like I've done a good day's work after 6 or 8 miles. I'm wondering if, for you folks that do over 20, is it actually enjoyable hiking? I know, if you're thru-hiking, you HAVE to put in those kinds of days, and I'm thinking the satisfaction comes from accomplishing the goal, meeting the challenge. But it's hard for me to imagine that it's really enjoyable....am I wrong?
    I just did 180 miles of the AT between Erwin and Adkins in under five days at nearly a 40 mile per day average. At times (70%) it was pure type 1 fun and the other 30% was type 2 fun (satisfaction from the accomplishment). Here is why the ratio was as high as it was.
    1) I absolutely love walking, period. I would rather walk than sit any day of the week and I tend to be more relaxed when I walk.
    2) I am hiking with an 8 lb base (max) so the pack is not a factor in enjoyment.
    3) I started at first light and end at dark. I saw every sunset and sunrise and was in some incredible places especially for the sunsets (Roan Mtn and Whiteface Mtn/Elk Garden). Sunrises at Grayson, coming into Damscus and Big Bald. These times of day are magical and if I was forced to do short days then I would hike 6-9 both am and PM, or close.
    4) High 30s to 40 mile days are not a stretch for my fitness. I work very hard to stay in prime hiking shape. ( this is sad to admit in public but I get quite a bit of satisfaction knowing that if my life went completely sideways that I could immediately go do a long hike in the style I enjoy. Knowing I can makes it chose that I don't.
    5) If I was pushing to maintain 40+ day after day than it would be a slog which is why you will never see me attempt a record attempt on a trail. A record means little and the ratio of type 1 to type 2 would not be high enough.
    6) I hike at a very consistent steady pace, I am not running and I usually will stop and chat for a minute or two. But I don't spend an hour at an overlook, that's just not my thing, there is something equally cool just around the corner. (I am an optimist.)
    7) Mental. I do a lot of long days. I don't go into most trips wondering if I can make the distance, it is usually a question of how long. As a target distance becomes routine, say 30mpd then it becomes normal and somewhat odd not to do it.
    8) There is a lot of judgement in the hiking community about miles, weight etc. I have heard a hundred times that I am doing it wrong, I would get so much more out of my trip if I just slowed down. Let me give you the math to dispute this. Let say I did the same 180 miles at a 15 mpd pace. Instead of take 4 days vacation for my trip then I would have to take 10 days off, six extra days. What would I be giving up for those 6 days? Maybe three days in the Winds and another 3 on the CT making each a 5 day 150 mile trip. Which is a better bang for the vacation buck. Absolutely no question for me. This aspect is what got me into the long days. I was working for a company based in CA and I often tacked on a three day weekend to the beginning to hike in the Sierra. I have hiked well over a thousand miles of trail and off trail in this fashion. A 10 mpd pace doesn't get you into many of the cool places in the Sierra that I wanted to go.

In order to enjoy doing long days you have to be BOTH capable and willing. Capable can be built, willing is either there or not. I would never try talking someone into doing this. I would offer it as an option for someone looking to break a constraint in bullet point 8. There is also a huge range of mileage between where you're at and say Anish/Williamson/Swami territory. The key is enjoyment. Try some things out and if works go with it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    6) I hike at a very consistent steady pace, I am not running and I usually will stop and chat for a minute or two. But I don't spend an hour at an overlook, that's just not my thing, there is something equally cool just around the corner. (I am an optimist.)
    the only "issue" (not really even an issue, just to me a funny difference of perspective) i take with people who do 40+ mile days is this notion they have that they arent "going fast." i suppose in your mind you might not be, but i'm pretty sure just using some scientific concept of average human walking speed as a rough base, that to do over 40 miles in the timeframe you describe (lets says 6am to 8pm at this time of year) you do, in fact, have to go "fast". or at least very very close to it.

the people i have met and seen hiking that can do that are unquestionably moving substantially quicker than everyone else. which is fine. i wouldnt go slower than i am able/want to, thats silly. but when they claim "oh i dont hike fast" i cant help but chuckle a tiny bit.

the inverse, sort of, are the people who claim they are slow "hikers" who end up averaging 1 MPH on moderate to easy ground while alleging to have "hiked" for 10 or 12 hours. the truth is you didnt hike 10 or 12 hours, no one can walk that slow if they tried. you spent a lot of time stopping and doing all manner of whatever, you werent hiking.

the truth is most of us walk roughly the same speed and how far we get depends on how long we are willing to walk for, REALLY walk for (ie hike for 3 hours, rest for 2 is not walking for 5 hours)

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Hello neighbor (fellow Littleton-ite)! I was assuming this particular topic/thread was referring to "destination hikes", like multi-day/week/month hikes, like the AT, PCT, CT, LT, whatever, a place you fly to, take a bus to, or like in our case, get dropped of to (the CT).

So not sure what you're asking/saying; are you looking for longer hikes in Colorado? Have you been into the LCW? You should go.... yes, still an hour+ drive depending on which trailhead, but way more than a hundred miles of trails with nice loops making great multi-day adventures. Then there's the Snowy range in WY... then there are amazing long hiking opportunities in Utah.

Myself and hiking buddies do day hikes all the time all over nearby areas in Colorado, but my thoughts below on this particular thread don't really apply to those hikes. their length is their length. But because we are all used to long days of hiking, we can do "day hikes" that involve some pretty deep-wilderness destinations. We do like to do loops whenever possible, vs out and back hikes, though sometimes you have no choice.

Finally: it has NOT become a zoo here, you're just choosing the wrong places (or times) to hike. For example, most times when we visit the LCW we OWN the place. Longer drive, but it's easy to get lost (avoid anyone) in the San Juan mountains. Just avoid the 14ers, which yes, have become a zoo. Thankfully there are about 600 13ers in Colorado, hardly ever crowded at all.
    Hey Rob!

I actually have hiked a bit in the LCW and really liked it. Even on the summer weekends I visited we saw only a handful of other people. That's going to be my prime backpacking destination this summer; I'm just waiting for it to be "in season" as I'm not a big fan of snowy/sloppy trails. I figure by June it should be good up there.

It could be I'm choosing the wrong places to hike, but compared to back east (I lived in NH for a time), I find that any trail destinations within 90 minutes of Denver are crowded on a summer weekend, unless you are off-trail or in pretty deep. Think anywhere off I-70, the whole east side of Indian Peaks, Kenosha Pass area, Clear Creek canyon, South Platte, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    My 20+ mile local hikes often leave from my back door, using several miles of local roads to connect in several directions with Apex, Lookout Mt, Matthews-Winters/Red Rocks, Lookout Mt, Beaver Brook Trail, North and South Table Mts. Sometimes I bike to one of the many trailheads, as far as White Ranch or even Waterton Canyon via the C-470 and Chatfield trails. Often the well-used park trails are just a part of the distance and I don't mind the road walks if it means I don't have to drive. Walking through Golden's city streets, or on a mountain road to connect two parks, isn't an awful thing. Driving to go hiking, especially if I-70 is involved, is getting to be a real buzzkill.

Proximity to trails has always been a very important criterion in relocation. I'll put up with a lot of substandard conditions to keep from driving to recreate.
    Good thought on road connections. I'll have to get more creative to connect some trails. Golden is actually a primo spot to live around here. You're right on the foothills but out of the city. But I'm with you man, I hate driving very far to hike. I used to drive 2-4 hours for DAY HIKES when I lived in Boston. I did what I had to do to get out there. Now I'm just over commuting to hike unless it's a multi-day trip. I-70? Forget it.

No sympathy here!! Only 15 min from the CT!!! I'm at least 6-7 hours from the hills of the southern AT......I'm about 1.5-2 hours from the Ocala NF section or Suwannee river sections of the FT...just can't get excited to hike here...rather drive the extra few hours and hit the hills...my training is either done at the gym or on the water (paddling)...I'm a true believer you don't have to train in the mountains to get your body ready for them......with regular weight training and cardio regime I've never had to build up to 20 mpd even coming from flat Florida...hit the trail running....

GAME 06

Where I live in AZ I can and do walk out my door and go on 20+ mile hikes in the national forest (some of it actually has trees!) across the highway. I have the choice of many trails both out and back and loops. If I am willing to drive up to 30 mins I can add in a couple of hundred miles of trails. 2 hours would get me to the Grand Canyon. On the down side a lot of the hiking here is without shade and it gets seriously hot in the summer so even on day hikes one takes 3-4 liters of water.

Default 20+ mpd hiking

Well, there has certainly been more response to this thread than I expected! I'm not so sure I'm happy about that, tho... All you 20, 30, even 40 mpd folks are makin me feel kinda WIMPY! ☺
    Just kidding.
    Thanks guys. I don't know why this was important to me - just curious I guess. But sounds like most of you folks are into this hiking game for the same reason I am - for the enjoyment. The challenge is secondary, if it's there at all.

Quote Originally Posted by jefals View Post
    Well, there has certainly been more response to this thread than I expected! I'm not so sure I'm happy about that, tho... All you 20, 30, even 40 mpd folks are makin me feel kinda WIMPY! ☺
    Just kidding.
    Thanks guys. I don't know why this was important to me - just curious I guess. But sounds like most of you folks are into this hiking game for the same reason I am - for the enjoyment. The challenge is secondary, if it's there at all.
    One of the more common things between all of us is comparing our gear, food, experiences, and ourselves with each other. Its always beneficial to examine these things with others who "get it", it provides a ruler of sorts to the activity and probably most importantly, provides validation what we are doing is worthwhile and how we are doing it is shared.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    One of the more common things between all of us is comparing our gear, food, experiences, and ourselves with each other. Its always beneficial to examine these things with others who "get it", it provides a ruler of sorts to the activity and probably most importantly, provides validation what we are doing is worthwhile and how we are doing it is shared.
    I may look at others' gear and food choices, but I damn sure never seek validation.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Default 20+ mpd hiking

...On the other hand...☺...
    If you're a younger man, or lady, and you're NOT doing this for the challenge, well, maybe you should be! it's a great feeling to set and meet challenging goals in life - whether physical or mental...
    But if you're an old geezer like me, you've probably already faced all the challenges you need! (IMO!) ☺

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    I may look at others' gear and food choices, but I damn sure never seek validation.
    Perhaps a better choice of words would've been "provides different looks at this shared experience", as opposed to validation.

The other white meat

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    I just did 180 miles of the AT between Erwin and Adkins in under five days at nearly a 40 mile per day average. At times (70%) it was pure type 1 fun and the other 30% was type 2 fun (satisfaction from the accomplishment). Here is why the ratio was as high as it was.
    1) I absolutely love walking, period. I would rather walk than sit any day of the week and I tend to be more relaxed when I walk.
    2) I am hiking with an 8 lb base (max) so the pack is not a factor in enjoyment.
    3) I started at first light and end at dark. I saw every sunset and sunrise and was in some incredible places especially for the sunsets (Roan Mtn and Whiteface Mtn/Elk Garden). Sunrises at Grayson, coming into Damscus and Big Bald. These times of day are magical and if I was forced to do short days then I would hike 6-9 both am and PM, or close.
    4) High 30s to 40 mile days are not a stretch for my fitness. I work very hard to stay in prime hiking shape. ( this is sad to admit in public but I get quite a bit of satisfaction knowing that if my life went completely sideways that I could immediately go do a long hike in the style I enjoy. Knowing I can makes it chose that I don't.
    5) If I was pushing to maintain 40+ day after day than it would be a slog which is why you will never see me attempt a record attempt on a trail. A record means little and the ratio of type 1 to type 2 would not be high enough.
    7) Mental. I do a lot of long days. I don't go into most trips wondering if I can make the distance, it is usually a question of how long. As a target distance becomes routine, say 30mpd then it becomes normal and somewhat odd not to do it.
    8) There is a lot of judgement in the hiking community about miles, weight etc. I have heard a hundred times that I am doing it wrong, I would get so much more out of my trip if I just slowed down. Let me give you the math to dispute this. Let say I did the same 180 miles at a 15 mpd pace. Instead of take 4 days vacation for my trip then I would have to take 10 days off, six extra days. What would I be giving up for those 6 days? Maybe three days in the Winds and another 3 on the CT making each a 5 day 150 mile trip. Which is a better bang for the vacation buck. Absolutely no question for me. This aspect is what got me into the long days. I was working for a company based in CA and I often tacked on a three day weekend to the beginning to hike in the Sierra. I have hiked well over a thousand miles of trail and off trail in this fashion. A 10 mpd pace doesn't get you into many of the cool places in the Sierra that I wanted to go.

In order to enjoy doing long days you have to be BOTH capable and willing. Capable can be built, willing is either there or not. I would never try talking someone into doing this. I would offer it as an option for someone looking to break a constraint in bullet point 8. There is also a huge range of mileage between where you're at and say Anish/Williamson/Swami territory. The key is enjoyment. Try some things out and if works go with it.
    Well stated Malto! This mindset is exactly what I have evolved into as well and doing high mileage days tends to help fill the void for the years that I can't do a thru-hike. The past three years, I've done between 1300 and 1900 per year in this fashion and it's helped me mentally more than I can describe.

avg MPH you hike x how long you like to walk = a good distance to go!
    That's about it. Some people like 12 hours at 2.5 mph... and some like 8 hours at 1.3 MPH.

I'm more 8-9 hours at avg 2 mph, but sometimes more, sometimes less

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
++ New Posts ++