WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default 25 miles yesterday and a few hot spots

Hey group - I did a 25 miler yesterday. Came out relatively no worse for the wear. Twisted a knee and have a nasty blood blister/crack on my heel.

I have some thigh numbness but it could be related to limping on the leg (same leg with the blister). I also have some lower back pain which could be causing it. Anyone have that before?

I've never hiked that far in a day so this is uncharted territory.

Great hike though! Started at PenMar and headed south past the old Washington Monument.

Body Glide your feet couple times per day, change socks mid day an take vit I 800 mg....feel great!!! No I'm not a Dr... Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats. Not to quibble but my data book says that's 21.5 miles. Unless you took some side trips or something.

I'll grant you this is the more difficult half of the trail in MD. I recall some very rocky terrain a few miles below PenMar.

Rafe. It is. But we parked at Pen Mar and hiked north to the Mason Dixon line and I paused my tracker when we took side trails. Also, we parked about a mile south of the Washington Monument state park...by South Mountain Inn. A great place to eat by the way.

Very rocky terrain there and a nasty spot right before Black Rock.

I have to say, it is strange walking north to the Mason Dixon sign knowing you are going out of your way but it wouldn't be official unless you start at that sign, right?!

Quote Originally Posted by JLorenzo77 View Post
    Hey group - I did a 25 miler yesterday. Came out relatively no worse for the wear. Twisted a knee and have a nasty blood blister/crack on my heel.

I have some thigh numbness but it could be related to limping on the leg (same leg with the blister). I also have some lower back pain which could be causing it. Anyone have that before?

I've never hiked that far in a day so this is uncharted territory.

Great hike though! Started at PenMar and headed south past the old Washington Monument.
    The numbness in your leg is most likely related to lower back pain...if it persists, sleep on your side with a pillow between your legs for a couple of weeks.

Images

If you have ongoing numbness in your thigh, it is likely due to compression of a nerve root at a lumbar disk. Get thee to an Orthopaedist. Don't mess around with this! If you have persistent numbness, you could also wind up suffering from irreversible atrophy of muscle tissue in the leg if it goes untreated.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Thanks everyone. Numbness is gone but this two inch blood blister on my heel is nasty! Overall, it was a great hike.

Treat numbness with an Uncle Brettski or three while at SouthMtnInn. Gotta ask for it, each and every time.

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    Treat numbness with an Uncle Brettski or three while at SouthMtnInn. Gotta ask for it, each and every time.
    Haha! Noted.

Thanks everyone. Numbness is gone but this two inch blood blister on my heel is nasty! Overall, it was a great hike.
    Now imagine you had to keep hiking with that blood blister.

Over doing it may be fun for a day, it can knock you off the trail on a longer journey.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    Now imagine you had to keep hiking with that blood blister.

Over doing it may be fun for a day, it can knock you off the trail on a longer journey.
    Totally agree. I would never hike that far in a day on a long distance trek. When you work full time and have two young kids though, you squeeze in as much as you can in the time you have.

Hmmmm, no advice, your post just caught my eye when you mentioned numbness in your thigh. I have that and have just been ignoring it as much as I can. After reading some of the posts, maybe I should get it checked though I am only at mile 850 and change, really don't want to get off the trail for any length of time at this point.

When someone says body glide your feet are you referring to the entire foot?and under a wool sock?

Journal Entries
    Images

I will hike that section again, and I will remember this. I'm thinking I-70 to Harpers Ferry in late spring? "Uncle Brettski" Got it. LOL

Haha! Noted.

++ New Posts ++