WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

http://www.survivalresources.com/Pro...restarter.html

One of the lesser known yet awesome place for backpacking stuff. Check out all their products and I bet you'll buy something. I linked to the firestarters.

Images

These are the folks who invented the best and the ones that furnish the Spark-Lite fire starter to Survivalsources.com

http://www.fourseasonssurvival.com/S...nge_p_109.html

Four Seasons Survival gear and camping equipment is hand picked for quality first. As a supplier to the US military for over 25 years, we've seen the best and worst of outdoor equipment. Whether you're stocking up for an emergency you hope never happens, or you're an outdoorsman that depends on rugged equipment to see you through extreme situations, you'll find quality items in our store. All outdoor activities require a variety of accessories to provide protection and enjoyment. We know you'll find those items here.
    Many survival gear stores stock high and deep hoping you'll find something that meets your needs. Unfortunately, sometimes it's really hard to tell the difference between what's available and what you'll really need when you're in a survival situation. That's where we come in. We don't stock a million items for you to sort through. We've already narrowed it down for you. We have a great selection of products, and they're among the best out there at the best prices.
    The quality of survival gear and equipment for emergencies should never be compromised. Everyone should have a first aid kit in their car, survival gear, and house. Everyone should have a small survival kit or emergency kit in their camping equipment, vehicles, and homes.
    Each survival kit should include a Spark-Lite fire starter. The Spark-Lite is the official fire starter of the US military because it's very easy to use, even while injured. Tinder burn times are 1-2 minutes long: vastly superior to matches.

Another item which should be included in each survival kit is a quality water purifier. There are way too many filters on the market making broad claims about how great they are, but there are only a handful that you'd really want during an emergency. One of those is the First Need water purifier. It's an EPA approved purifier, not a filter. It'll remove particles down to 1 micron in size. It's extremely easy to use and will help keep your body free of both bacteria and small viruses.
    We could go on and on with the reasons why we picked the equipment we picked, but the best thing is to just take a look at the gear in the store and stock up now. When an emergency happens, it's too late to go buy your gear.
    Four Seasons Survival

[email protected]
    1857 Park Forest Ave.
    State College, PA USA

I took a zippo lighter wick and cut it in half and then twisted it through the hole in the end of my Ti spoon. Just dip it in the alcohol and light it, then I can use it to light the stove. Keeps my fingers away from the stove flame and I don't have to look for anything to use!

Images

I've used a small piece of paper from my garbage bag to light my stove.
    A little alcohol on the paper, light it with a lighter, then use it to light the stove.

My ECHS stove is easy to light by hand with mini Bic. Tip the stove to get a drop of fuel on the rim. If it very cold and the fuel is not so flamable, drop a match into the stove. I keep a book of matches in my emergency baggies for backup.

I had lighting issues with the "light the fuel in the center of the stove" type of alcohol stove, then I made the kind with two parts and a wick. Put fuel in, wait 20 seconds, light wick from outside the stove. This is one random example that uses carbon felt as the wick: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6vms2YXVO0

I made one using a stadium style beer "bottle," a cat food can, and fiberglass for the wicking.

I guess it depends on the stove. I have a Zelph fancy feast type that I can just light the wicking material from the side, never having to reach into the center and risk burning anything.

Journal Entries

I'm so glad someone asked this as I just made my first intro into alcohol stoves!

Images

I like using birthday candles, one pack of ten can last for several weeks or more and can be used as a fire starter at need.
    Life Member ATC

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    I guess it depends on the stove. I have a Zelph fancy feast type that I can just light the wicking material from the side, never having to reach into the center and risk burning anything.
    You did good:-) Just like the instruction sheet suggests.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Freda View Post
    I like using birthday candles, one pack of ten can last for several weeks or more and can be used as a fire starter at need.
    The "can't blow 'em out" candles are especially good for fire starters.

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    I'm giving alchy stoves another shot for my solo hikes....using a bic lighter I seem to burn my fingers often..I'm assuming most use a fire rod....any input appreciated. Tired of half full canisters filling my closet.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    my alchy stove is like a fire swallower, I just shove match down he neck.

Images

Waterproof matches or a steel.
    enough talking......let's get walking !

Steel will never fail ya.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I use a small fire steel from Light My Fire (similar to this) to light my Trangia. Love it. I always have multiple means for lighting my stove or starting a fire, just in case. A firesteel won't let you down, unless it's lost. I carry a Bic lighter and a small book of matches in a waterproof container.

Mcihael

Journal Entries
    Images

A book of matches works fine and they are lightweight for those gram weenies. Just light and drop the match in. Done.
    "Though I have lost the intimacy with the seasons since my hike, I retain the sense of perfect order, of graceful succession and surrender, and of the bold brilliance of fall leaves as they yield to death." - David Brill

Quote Originally Posted by Traillium View Post
    I use a mini-Bic, holding it flat & sideways, flicking with my index finger. Works beautifully! (I have big hands …)

Bruce Traillium
    Same.

Used the same mini Bic for my entire thru.

Images

Find twig. Insert into flammable substance. Remove twig. Light twig with fire source. Place twig in or near stove. No special tools needed, no extra weight. Always carry a bic. even if it runs out of fuel the striker will still produce sparks which will work in a pinch.
    "I am learning nothing in this trivial world of [humans]. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news." --John Muir

Images

I spill a little alcohol on the outside and touch my lighter to that spot, before it evaporates.
    Long-distance aspirations with short-distance feet.... :jump

I like the wrapped stoves, soak the wrap with a small amount of fuel and light the wrap, this helps in cold weather to bring the burner up to temp faster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++