WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Miel View Post
    Oh dear.

Could they be tranquilized and relocated to some kind of bear sanctuary instead?
    how about tearin' down the damn shelter and ban camping from 321 to wilbur dam rd. very simple

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    how about tearin' down the damn shelter and ban camping from 321 to wilbur dam rd. very simple
    ITA. I didn't realize that was an option. Would much prefer that to killing or relocating bears.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing​ and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there. --Rumi

While on the topic of bears ... please PM me if you are interested in helping a suffering polar bear in Argentina. His name is Arturo. No money requested to be involved, just letter-writing or Tweeting or signing legitimate petitions on his behalf, or joining a FB group to offer your ideas. He is dying from his environment there, a zoo that should be shut down. Even the hippos don't get enough water. There are better zoos in the north willing to take him, but this zoo won't release him. He was born in captivity, so rehab into the wild may or may not be feasible. (Animals taken from the wild into captivity then rehabbed, like cetaceans, tend to do great when they are returned home; one or two exceptions does not support the pro-cap position.)

Trail bears and zoo bears cannot speak for themselves (in human language). We must speak for them (like y'all's idea to tear down that shelter).
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing​ and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there. --Rumi

When I was thru hiking last year I met a couple who live in the area and they warned me to be alert for bears. I asked if bears were really that bad and if there were a lot of bears in the area? The local resident said "in the past few years the US Forest Service has been relocating bears to the area" so my guess is some of these "nuisance" bears may have already associated humans and bear bagging and shelters with food. How relocating a "nuisance" bear with a learned behavior to a new location with the same stimulus factors present and hoping for a different outcome is beyond my expertise. I agree with a lot of other posters MOVE THE SHELTERS further from the nearest road not the bears.

/

Moving problem bears doesn't work up north. It may work in areas where the bear population is less than optimal due to other issues but in NH and Maine, there are too many bears. Generally bears that raid shelters (or dumpsters) have decided that its easier to go after human food than the wild foods they should be eating and become human habituated. Generally when those bears get trapped and trucked they get dumped in areas with stable bear populations. Bears maintain territories and when a new bear is dumped in their territory, they will quickly get attacked until they leave. The nuisance bear generally has poor skills to find local food so it will get chased and slowly starved and eventually end up as road kill or back in civilization. Some have been known to travel in excess of 100 miles to return to their old territory. The F&G folks know the best way to deal with a nuisance bear is to kill it quickly but PR wise, most of the public think the relocated bear will live out it life in the woods so F&G traps and trucks.

Several years ago I read an article that claimed that the return of the black bear population down south was related to the penalties for selling bear organs being strengthened and made a federal crime. Back 25 years ago bear poaching was reportedly a major issue down south as apparently the cash was good and the penalties minimal. Once the penalties were ramped up, the poachers moved into other less risky cash trade.

Messy campers are the cause of bear issues and once a bear is human habituated from just a few free meals, that bear will be a problem for years as bears will return back to potential food source for years.

Images

Ding, ding, ding ....... We have a winner!
    I love the smell of esbit in the morning!

I'm not sure how easy it is to tear down or build new shelters on the AT. Thought its a protected footpath, some sections of it and its appurtenances may be more solidly protected than others. Certainly there is a case to be made for removing this shelter or moving it a few miles away. However, time and money would be serious obstacles if there are no statutory issues like national registry or national park inclusions.

Seems to me the ATC has a Ridge Runner who may be a perfect candidate for a transfer to THIS shelter that would put his talents and alleged behavior to much better use. Dissuading party types from staying long can be difficult, but from the sounds of this fellow, he is perfect for the challenge.

It seems obvious here to me that the most egregious way to habituate an animal would be to actively feed it, i.e. not just leave out food, but to throw food at it. This seems to me as the quickest path to causing an animal to lose fear of humans. I wouldn't be surprised if many bears in this area haven't been fed by humans and not necessarily hikers.

However, there are other ways to habituate them, obviously. Granted those other ways take longer before the animal completely losses its fear of humans, but over time it does happen. Simple fact is, just being in their habitat, as we hikers are, and not providing any threat over time causes them to lose fear. Look at this video from Yellowstone, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4cp8zWMcnk

I don't think relocating will do anything, unless you relocate it far, far away, but that costs money and it's just passing off your problems to someone else. However, even if you relocate it to an area will there are no humans around, that bear is probably destined to die, since it has become so accustomed to living out of its natural way of life. (see below video).

As of now the only option is hunting, to re-instill fear. Check out this video on translocating bears https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...ZwPbw_58#at=40

The only other method I see as a way to manage bears, besides hunting, is come up with some non-fatal way to cause them extreme pain and fear when they exhibit behavior that shows little fear towards humans.

I agree 100%. Remove people before disturbing the bears. More education, Enforce the rules in the area and tear the dam thing down, every single year it has this problem.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Put down your cameras.

Turn off your video capture for your vlogs.

Pick up the nearest rocks or logs or what ever and throw it at the bears near shelters.

Probably too late for this spot, at least for this year.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    Put down your cameras.

Turn off your video capture for your vlogs.

Pick up the nearest rocks or logs or what ever and throw it at the bears near shelters.

Probably too late for this spot, at least for this year.
    Probably more passive dissuasion is the better way to shy bears away from shelters, like waving arms, shouting, banging sticks or rocks together. banging on pots, and that kind of thing. Throwing sticks or rocks at them (unless they are directly threatening you) can trigger the flight or fight reaction. The former is what we want, but the latter can happen incredibly fast if they feel they are being attacked.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Moving problem bears doesn't work up north. It may work in areas where the bear population is less than optimal due to other issues but in NH and Maine, there are too many bears. Generally bears that raid shelters (or dumpsters) have decided that its easier to go after human food than the wild foods they should be eating and become human habituated. Generally when those bears get trapped and trucked they get dumped in areas with stable bear populations. Bears maintain territories and when a new bear is dumped in their territory, they will quickly get attacked until they leave. The nuisance bear generally has poor skills to find local food so it will get chased and slowly starved and eventually end up as road kill or back in civilization. Some have been known to travel in excess of 100 miles to return to their old territory. The F&G folks know the best way to deal with a nuisance bear is to kill it quickly but PR wise, most of the public think the relocated bear will live out it life in the woods so F&G traps and trucks.

Several years ago I read an article that claimed that the return of the black bear population down south was related to the penalties for selling bear organs being strengthened and made a federal crime. Back 25 years ago bear poaching was reportedly a major issue down south as apparently the cash was good and the penalties minimal. Once the penalties were ramped up, the poachers moved into other less risky cash trade.

Messy campers are the cause of bear issues and once a bear is human habituated from just a few free meals, that bear will be a problem for years as bears will return back to potential food source for years.
    +100 for all of peakbagger's comments. Except that up here in Ontario, relocated bears often move further than 100 miles — and return to their learned dependence on human foolishness.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    another great example of why shelters need to be built(if they are going to be built), at least a mile or 2 from a road. Drunks and weekend partiers aren't going to walk that far to party, and Hikers do a better job (for the most part), of protecting their food.
    Locals WILL hike in a mile or more from the road to party. Having grown up in the country, we had to walk miles into forested areas to get to a great lake or stream to group camp with friends in high school, or when older on long weekends, and there is no place else to go have fun, kick up your heels and be stupid, it will be done.
    I am older now, I know better, but some people just can't be taught.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    Throwing sticks or rocks at them (unless they are directly threatening you) can trigger the flight or fight reaction. The former is what we want, but the latter can happen incredibly fast if they feel they are being attacked.
    When have you seen that happen an the AT?
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post

I remember a story about a bear near the Hartford, CT airport. They tagged it and took it away to New York. A few months later it was back.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    I agree 100%. Remove people before disturbing the bears. More education, Enforce the rules in the area and tear the dam thing down, every single year it has this problem.
    Yep or simply require a bear can to camp in that section...this would cause 99% to pass on thru!!!!

Some years ago, while I was working in Denali National Park, the rangers had a regular bear behavior modification where they would address human food habituated bears by setting up fake camps and then shooting the bears with rubber bullets until they associated human food with pain. They had very high success rates. Has anyone considered that sort of intervention here?
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    When have you seen that happen an the AT?
    Personally, I've not. Anecdotally and video only. I've not experienced throwing rocks at hikers either, but I would presume that has the same possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    It seems obvious here to me that the most egregious way to habituate an animal would be to actively feed it, i.e. not just leave out food, but to throw food at it. This seems to me as the quickest path to causing an animal to lose fear of humans. I wouldn't be surprised if many bears in this area haven't been fed by humans and not necessarily hikers.

However, there are other ways to habituate them, obviously. Granted those other ways take longer before the animal completely losses its fear of humans, but over time it does happen. Simple fact is, just being in their habitat, as we hikers are, and not providing any threat over time causes them to lose fear. Look at this video from Yellowstone, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4cp8zWMcnk

I don't think relocating will do anything, unless you relocate it far, far away, but that costs money and it's just passing off your problems to someone else. However, even if you relocate it to an area will there are no humans around, that bear is probably destined to die, since it has become so accustomed to living out of its natural way of life. (see below video).

As of now the only option is hunting, to re-instill fear. Check out this video on translocating bears https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...ZwPbw_58#at=40

The only other method I see as a way to manage bears, besides hunting, is come up with some non-fatal way to cause them extreme pain and fear when they exhibit behavior that shows little fear towards humans.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    Some years ago, while I was working in Denali National Park, the rangers had a regular bear behavior modification where they would address human food habituated bears by setting up fake camps and then shooting the bears with rubber bullets until they associated human food with pain. They had very high success rates. Has anyone considered that sort of intervention here?
    That's what I alluded to above, look at the above video, posted here>>>>: https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...ZwPbw_58#at=40

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++