WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Have you considered it was you, another animal species, that was perceived as being the attacker, pursuer, aggressor, or predator? The Spruce Grouse may have been acting in a defensive manner against a perceived threatening other animal.

All too often human centric hubris combined with a wider ignorance of the universe fails to consider that it is the human species that is the most dangerous, destructive, and aggressive. Humans are after all scientifically classed as part of the animal kingdom.

Ever see shows like When Animals Attack or Top 10, 25, 100 Dangerous Animals? When will the human animal be included in the entertainment? Maybe, never because it's abrasively counter cultural to the ingrained notion humans are apart and above the rest of Nature?

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Have you considered it was you, another animal species, that was perceived as being the attacker, pursuer, aggressor, or predator? The Spruce Grouse may have been acting in a defensive manner against a perceived threatening other animal.

All too often human centric hubris combined with a wider ignorance of the universe fails to consider that it is the human species that is the most dangerous, destructive, and aggressive. Humans are after all scientifically classed as part of the animal kingdom.

Ever see shows like When Animals Attack or Top 10, 25, 100 Dangerous Animals? When will the human animal be included in the entertainment? Maybe, never because it's abrasively counter cultural to the ingrained notion humans are apart and above the rest of Nature?
    all one need do is turn on the nightly news, people attacking people all over the world, were no different as a spiecies.

Quote Originally Posted by Miel View Post
    Specious arguments by you and your friend. And you and your chum know it.

Sophistry.
    Pretty sure chum is right down there with whale scat...nice!

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Pretty sure chum is right down there with whale scat...nice!
    Ever seen what sharks do to chum? Or the fish that are attracted to the chum? Horrible animals.

Other animals do what other animals do. Humans should know better. We are aggressors and often for no reason at all.

I will do my 100% best to keep food from bears, in order to save their lives, whilst not throwing rocks at birds.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing​ and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there. --Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    Ever seen what sharks do to chum? Or the fish that are attracted to the chum? Horrible animals.
    Chum also means friend, which is the context in which I used it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Miel View Post
    Other animals do what other animals do. Humans should know better. We are aggressors and often for no reason at all.

I will do my 100% best to keep food from bears, in order to save their lives, whilst not throwing rocks at birds.
    I suggest you read my post again..................after you come down off your high horse.

Ever go to a Hiker Feed when the fried chicken ran out and everyone is still looking for more?

Ever been to the Gatlinburg Golden Corral Buffet when there was no more roast beef or anything left at the carving station?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    I had one of my odder wildlife encounters yesterday on the Carter Range yesterday. While hiking we came upon male spruce grouse. Their habitat is up on the spruce fir ridges and seem to prefer to hang out along hiking trails. They are usually quite mellow although occasionally a female with have chicks and will stake out a section of trail and get aggressive. Our initial encounter was typical, the grouse just walked off the trail into the woods. About a minute later the grouse went into full attack mode, pecking at my hiking boots from behind me furiously and getting under foot. This bird was serious and persisted. I was used my hiking poles to shoo it away but it kept coming back. We easily hiked about 200 feet or so until getting out of its territory. It would be easy to inadvertently hurt the bird by stepping on it so I hope it mellows out or finds a better spot but expect it will be problem this year.

The young males stake out territory and they seem to have a preferred territory that consists of an open area, like a trail bed surrounded by a somewhat open spruce/fir with closed canopy. This spot of trail looked just about ideal and I expect this bachelor grouse took offense to any interlopers walking through his pad. I expect the bird gets reinforcement from hikers as the bird attacks and the hikers run away.

There are prior trail reports from earlier in the winter that the same bird was guarding this territory so barring a predator dealing with it I expect that it may continue its reign of terror. They were species of concern in the region at one point but I don't know their current status.
    When we were family camping at the Mount Greylock reservation, our screaming 6 year son was justifyibly persued by an angry black racer that slithered after him at a good clip.

Ever note what the human animal did and in some cases is still doing to the passenger pigeon, American Bison, Grey Wolf, Brown Bear, cougar, salmon, Bluefin Tuna, swordfish, some whale and shark species populations, Monk Seals, Black Rhinos, elephants, tigers, Dodo birds, sturgeon, Chilean Seabass, halibut, flounder, haddock, Atlantic Cod, eels,………………………?

Huge decline on Great White Shark populations around the globe at the hands of arguably the planet's greatest animal predator…humans! Horrible animals?….HUMANS?

Should we list some flora now?

I can make a meal outta some, pheasants, doves or yard bird.

And not for nothin' but if I were laying along the trail incapacitated I'm sure a buzzard would peck out my one good eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Ever note what the human animal did and in some cases is still doing to the passenger pigeon, American Bison, Grey Wolf, Brown Bear, cougar, salmon, Bluefin Tuna, swordfish, some whale and shark species populations, Monk Seals, Black Rhinos, elephants, tigers, Dodo birds, sturgeon, Chilean Seabass, halibut, flounder, haddock, Atlantic Cod, eels,………………………?

Huge decline on Great White Shark populations around the globe at the hands of arguably the planet's greatest animal predator…humans! Horrible animals?….HUMANS?

Should we list some flora now?
    with great power comes great responsibility...as humans, we suck at the responsibility part. American Chestnuts, American Elm, Purple lousewort...ok, maybe not that one.

I mean, its not like we don't try to kill each other off in wars and fights and famine...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MVfiIp3QGs4

in the woods, it sounds like a deep bass engine trying to start and sputtering out. First time I heard it on the Grafton Notch loop trail, it was at night and I was trying to figure out who was trying to start a diesel tractor that time of night. While trying to identify birds by their calls by listening to YouTube videos, I ran across the ruffed grouse and had an Aha! moment.

Eggsactly. I was way confused the first time I heard it. (Great video!) I love hearing it, it means I'm walking through a healthy ecosystem. (Wishful thinking?) I love the Carter range and Mahoosucs.

Images

I can make a meal outta some, pheasants, doves or yard bird.
    I think it's spelled miel.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    Pretty sure this makes us chums now?

The thread title reminded me of a encounter I once had with a wild animule, it was a relentless deer fly that made me rethink hiking, he persistently attacked me for about 45 minutes. After about a 1/2 hr, 2 neck bites and one elbow welt he was gone, I assumed he had his fill of my blood and moved on, I was very happy as my arms had begun to tire from non stop swatting.

And then it happened, I froze in disbelief, the little Russian MIG shaped deer fly was sitting on top of a boulder in the middle on the trail just starring at me as if to say, "did ya really think I'd be that easy" silly boy...and round two was on. I noticed some hikers coming up the trail and ran as fast as I could towards them leaving the fly following about 10 feet behind me. As I got to the hikers I adbruptly stopped, said hi, waited for the fly to catch up. When I heard to buzzing surround us with his Red Baron fly by's and one impressive Embullman maneuver I put my plan into motion...I split! As fast as I could run saying my good by's on the fly (pun intended) I left that little bugger with my newly acquired temporary friends...I hope they wasted that a-hole deer fly, or at the very least made it out alive.

Journal Entries

Pretty sure this makes us chums now?

The thread title reminded me of a encounter I once had with a wild animule, it was a relentless deer fly that made me rethink hiking, he persistently attacked me for about 45 minutes. After about a 1/2 hr, 2 neck bites and one elbow welt he was gone, I assumed he had his fill of my blood and moved on, I was very happy as my arms had begun to tire from non stop swatting.

And then it happened, I froze in disbelief, the little Russian MIG shaped deer fly was sitting on top of a boulder in the middle on the trail just starring at me as if to say, "did ya really think I'd be that easy" silly boy...and round two was on. I noticed some hikers coming up the trail and ran as fast as I could towards them leaving the fly following about 10 feet behind me. As I got to the hikers I adbruptly stopped, said hi, waited for the fly to catch up. When I heard to buzzing surround us with his Red Baron fly by's and one impressive Embullman maneuver I put my plan into motion...I split! As fast as I could run saying my good by's on the fly (pun intended) I left that little bugger with my newly acquired temporary friends...I hope they wasted that a-hole deer fly, or at the very least made it out alive.
    Hilarious, and oh-so-believable! I sympathize.

Ice Water Spring Shelter in the Smokies had a resident skunk that the hikers before me failed to mention! I was cornered, petrified and helpless for near an hour until he search every nook & cranny of the shelter & ate his fill of scraps left by the previous group! I think I was set up!

Tapatalk

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jbbweeks View Post
    Ice Water Spring Shelter in the Smokies had a resident skunk that the hikers before me failed to mention! I was cornered, petrified and helpless for near an hour until he search every nook & cranny of the shelter & ate his fill of scraps left by the previous group! I think I was set up!

Tapatalk
    Did you know that skunks will often stamp their front paws on the ground a few times as a warning before they turn around to spray? I learned this one through experience and was quite appreciative that the skunk gave me the two seconds I needed to retreat.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    Your attempt as flirting is lame.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing​ and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there. --Rumi

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++