WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default AT Access SNP North & Central

You can on to the AT from Chester Gap in the North District of SNP w/o going on Skyline Drive - Terrapin Station Hostel is right there too... Check out a detailed map of VA - the roads should be on there - I know you take 522 out of Front Royal - I'm not being vague to discourage anyone I just don't have a map in front of me. Chester Gap appears to be safe place to park a car - it's a quiet mountainside neighborhood - also you might be allowed to park at the hostel although I'd call 1st because I believe the hostel is only open during thru-hiking season. The road into Chester Gap is quite windy although it is paved most of the way - not sure how well it gets treated after a storm although there are enough houses back up in there that I imagine it gets some kind of treatment...use caution.

You can also access the AT in the central district from rt 211 at Thorton Gap - you can park in the old Panorama parking area - the lower part. If you are heading west on 211 you have to pass under Skyline Drive then turn left into the parking area. 211 is a main highway so should be plowed/salted.

Beware the rock slides in the park as the rocks tend to rock. In June 97' I was hiking behind a another hiker doing her through hike and a the second to last rock pivoted under her foot and even though she was using a pair of lekis she fell face forward onto the last rock. Her forward momentum kept her sliding forward and rather than breaking her teeth she gound them down about 1/2 way. Imagine a file scraping across them and you'll get hte picture. Nothing left but a white powder on the rock surface. Fortunately the roads are close and we stopped a car about 10 minutes after it happened. A nice day off in town to have her teeth capped and see the stalagtite organ in the cave near town, kinda cool. Unfortunately she left the trail about a month later to persue another adventure. There can be benifits to having that road right there.

Thanks everyone for the information so far. I just pulled out the Gazetteer and took a look at the Central section. It looks like Rt 33 also is an access point. The central portion of the park between these two points is 35 miles, a good three day winter hike.

I got stuck up on the Blue Ridge Parkway once in the parking area of Mt. Mitchell. The rangers there came and let me out, so that's good to know HOI. I'll skip the snowshoes and consider crampons.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator
    Thanks everyone for the information so far. I just pulled out the Gazetteer and took a look at the Central section. It looks like Rt 33 also is an access point. The central portion of the park between these two points is 35 miles, a good three day winter hike.

I got stuck up on the Blue Ridge Parkway once in the parking area of Mt. Mitchell. The rangers there came and let me out, so that's good to know HOI. I'll skip the snowshoes and consider crampons.
    Gator, I did a day hike in the Southern section in early December when snow and ice closed Skyline Drive south of Rt. 33. The rangers allowed me to park outside the gate on the narrow Skyline Drive shoulder. If you're going to leave a car there for your hike, you may want to park outside the gate either on the Drive or by the entrance station so that you're not trapped behind a closed gate.

I'm heading up there again on Thursday and will check it out.

That's what the phone messages said too. They were expecting temps in the 40's, I am hoping it melts. I can be prepared for snow and ice, but not having our drop car locked behind the gates. I won't be leaving until 2-3 weeks. Do you think there was enough snow for snowshoes? Icy enough to warrant crampons?
    there's not enough snow for snowshoes but you could definitely use crampons. i needed some saturday. i slipped on some damn ice and busted my knee pretty good. i managed to make it to rock spring hut for the evening but had to hobble out of there the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by mingo
    there's not enough snow for snowshoes but you could definitely use crampons. i needed some saturday. i slipped on some damn ice and busted my knee pretty good. i managed to make it to rock spring hut for the evening but had to hobble out of there the next day.
    I've decided to bring a 6 pt. pair of crampons.

Any idea how cold it was? Any water issues? I was reading that the park was particularly dry this year. My greatest concerns are Bearfence Mt. and Rock Spring Huts.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

... Any water issues? I was reading that the park was particularly dry this year. My greatest concerns are Bearfence Mt. and Rock Spring Huts.
    My wife and I spent the night at Bearfence Mt. hut in late November. The spring there normally has a fairly robust and reliable flow, but it wasn't moving too swiftly when we were there. The weather over the past couple months has been quite a bit wetter than it was during the summer/fall so I would imagine that the water situation, at Bearfence anyway, has gotten better.
    kncats

I've decided to bring a 6 pt. pair of crampons.

Any idea how cold it was? Any water issues? I was reading that the park was particularly dry this year. My greatest concerns are Bearfence Mt. and Rock Spring Huts.
    i don't think you'll have any water problems. rock spring is gushing. black rock hut's spring sometimes has issues but i think it's ok now.

Default SNP as of January 20

I just returned from SNP doing trail maintenance. Removed 2 blowdowns only using my 30" bowsaw - got a good workout!

Anyway, the unseasonably warm weather even reached SNP at the crest of HighTop where my section is. Temps in the mid-50s have melted all the snow and the only ice on the trail was extremely thin pieces at the top. However, I also saw ice from Skyline Drive clinging to northern exposure rocks. Skyline Drive is completely open.

Another point: in my 2.2 mile section, I encountered 3 springs which I hadn't seen previously since I took over the section last April. They're obviously ephemeral but I infer that all designated water sources in the park should be flush. The spring at the crest of High Top was flowing liberally.

Should be great hiking now. If I wasn't taking off for Florida Monday, I'd hit the trail.

My buddy and I were there last weekend. We hiked the north district. The wind was howling through there, with the snow blowing sideways on Sat. Lows around 27. The blowdowns weren't bad really though, but I think there were a couple fresh ones. It was windy Sunday too, with the wind dying down on Monday morning. There were a couple of people in the park, but they closed Skyline on Sunday I think, maybe Sat. too. Great time to go, no people and great views with the leaves off.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Images

aqua blaze. shenandoah river from waynesboro (outfitter is located in elk garden i think) to harpers ferry. 106 miles, bout 6 days, class II water max. there are several dams that you have to portage, and it's an awesome trip. i can't remember the name of the canoeing outfitter that rented us the boats, but it was the only one nearby. there was only one designated campsite at about half way. the rest of it you are on your own. got some strange looks and some questions from some farmers, but other than that, no problems. every bridge is a possible re-supply, for ice and beer.

Quote Originally Posted by general
    aqua blaze. shenandoah river from waynesboro (outfitter is located in elk garden i think) to harpers ferry. 106 miles, bout 6 days, class II water max. there are several dams that you have to portage, and it's an awesome trip. i can't remember the name of the canoeing outfitter that rented us the boats, but it was the only one nearby. there was only one designated campsite at about half way. the rest of it you are on your own. got some strange looks and some questions from some farmers, but other than that, no problems. every bridge is a possible re-supply, for ice and beer.
    I didn't research this before posting but I recall 3 long-time outfitters serving the Shenandoah:

1. Shenandoah River Outfitters
    2. Downriver Canoe Co.
    3. 340 Outfitters
    Perhaps they have websites - do a search.

Ok I am really silly here but I am section hiking Shenandoahs this summer...while planning I also noticed the distance between huts. What book/resources did you all use to find the campgrounds, eating places etc? I do not have a current AT companion. 20 mpd is a little much for me. Is all the info in the companion?
    v

Quote Originally Posted by vjh
    Ok I am really silly here but I am section hiking Shenandoahs this summer...while planning I also noticed the distance between huts. What book/resources did you all use to find the campgrounds, eating places etc? I do not have a current AT companion. 20 mpd is a little much for me. Is all the info in the companion?
    v
    They're in the Companion but in addition, visit the NPS website for SNP at http://www.nps.gov/shen/home.htm for a description of the park facilities and their operating hours. Everything should be open in summer.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker
    I didn't research this before posting but I recall 3 long-time outfitters serving the Shenandoah:

1. Shenandoah River Outfitters
    2. Downriver Canoe Co.
    3. 340 Outfitters
    Perhaps they have websites - do a search.

Downriver sounds like who we used. great trip. we couldn't go all the way to harpers ferry, but they picked us up at the VA/WV state line and drove us to harpers ferry.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++