WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default hiking the AT through Shanandoha Nat'l Park

Well..

I have been checking out the 2005 data book and it looks like in Shanandoha Nat'l Park in Virginia.. if one uses shelters as markers..one can do around 5-10 miles per day or 20+ per day and not much in between. For example..going North bound..first shelter is 7 miles in, second is 20 miles in. First too short, second too far.

How is the terrain in this park? is it fairly easy? one flies along..or challenging?

Can one just tent in woods between shelters? does the park have specific regs?

I watched the movie trek and in it they said that the park is not hiker friendly due to the infamous skyline drive that brings all the tourists in. The guys in this film blew through the park in 5 days!

So how has your experience been hiking through Shan. Natl park? any comments suggestions?

DavidNH

regs: http://www.patc.net/hiking/destinati...untryregs.html

wrt to camping "anywhere" the biggest problems are getting 1/4 mile away from Skyline Drive and finding water close to where you want to camp - since it is mainly just a ridge walk the water sources are not overly plentiful

if you know where the old shelter sites are they often make good camping sites - ex Sawmill Run and Shaver Hollow - unfortunately you need to _know_ how to find these sites since they are not marked - the spring at Sawmill Run site is questionable in that it dries up in dry weather but the spring at Shaver Hollow is usually good - both of these sites are about 3 tenths from the AT

Sawmill Run site : http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=17...83&layer=DRG25

Shaver Hollow site : http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=17...83&layer=DRG25
    Last edited by jlb2012; 12-28-2005 at 04:54.

Images

I have hiked all thru the Snp to get me ready for the trail this comming up summer .You are right about the shelters i have never had a problem with water source there at all the shelters are a little far apart and as far as friendly?Never had a problem out there i was a trail angel for many many hikers this yr .If i ((don't)) do my thru hike this yr i ((will)) be at big meadows again almost every weekend also usually right around the At so stop for dinner i usually bring pleanty of power bars and poweraid for yall.
    TAMBOURINE:banana

Default Shenandoah National Park

The AT in Shenandoah National Park basically follows the ridge. And the ridge does not have a lot of ups and downs. So, it's easy to make miles. Along the way you will find bootleg camp sites that are legal to camp at in addition to the established shelter sites (huts). Biggest restriction is no camping within 1/4 mile of Skyline Drive that parallels the AT, and no camping at day use shelters (Bird's Nests).

One option that we used - there are also the formal campgrounds available. We stayed at several along the way. We even stayed at a cabin in Skyland. With four thruhikers, the cost is minimal, there are showers, laundry, meals, beer, music . . .

And yes, the trail is relatively easy. We were doing 20-25 mile days every day from Pearisburg to Del. Water Gap.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH
    Well..

I have been checking out the 2005 data book and it looks like in Shanandoha Nat'l Park in Virginia.. if one uses shelters as markers..one can do around 5-10 miles per day or 20+ per day and not much in between. For example..going North bound..first shelter is 7 miles in, second is 20 miles in. First too short, second too far.

How is the terrain in this park? is it fairly easy? one flies along..or challenging?

I watched the movie trek and in it they said that the park is not hiker friendly due to the infamous skyline drive that brings all the tourists in. The guys in this film blew through the park in 5 days!

So how has your experience been hiking through Shan. Natl park? any comments suggestions?

DavidNH

yeah carry a hammock with a tarp like this,i love stealth camping neo

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/show...imageuser=3462

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH
    Well..

DavidNH

who needs shelters anyway neo

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/show...imageuser=3462

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

We sectioned hiked SNP this spring and fall and had a great time with super views, easy hiking, food, and fun! But finding campsites outside of the shelter area is an extreme challenge as the trail runs along a ridge line. And the rules are pretty stiff for backcountry camping. We saw some hikers get a $70 fine this fall - but they were camping right by a parking lot off the Drive and were still there at 10 AM (like duh, the ranger is gonna bust you!).

Usually, though, by the time thru hikers make it to SNP, the park is a breeze as you're in good shape. So 20 miles is not out of line. We did 14 miles and we were NOT in shape.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Section hikers, 900+ miles, donating members anneandbenhike's Avatar
    Images

We hiked through the entire Shennies in October of this year and found that the first shelter (7 miles in from the beginning of the Skyline Drive) was perfect since we had to do some resupplying in Waynesboro. By the time we ate, did laundry and shopped it was good to have only 7 miles to go. The rest of the shelters are fairly well spaced, especially if you hike to any waysides which are as much as a mile from the trail. There is very little camping around some of the shelters if they are full. We did stealth camp a couple times without any problem except for the water. Just stay filled up and you will be fine. It is a rolling hike but you can make the miles easily and enjoy the side hikes if the weather is good...the views are awesome. There are lots of places to eat..we highly recommend breakfast at Skyland!! You will definitely not be in wilderness there. We had rain for all seven days we were in the park and there were very few cars on the parkway because of the rain, thus very quiet. We have heard that it can be quite noisy in the spring and fall which are good times to hike. You will be close to the parkway all the time you are there.

Did the park the last week of Sept. Only problem was the lack of water the first few days, after that the only thing to gripe about was the constant motorcycle and sport car noise. The trail in the park is well maintained and graded nicely, wildlife walk up to you and the people we encountered were curious about what we were doing and helpful most of the time. Going shelter to shelter with stops at the waysides and siteseeing side trails was the norm. We tented 2 of our 8 day trip with no problems, although some of the tent sites at the shelters left something to be desired. SKYLAND BREAKFAST, a must!
    Old Hickory....I'd rather die living life, than live life dying.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

shenandoah is a cake walk. easily done in 3-4 days if you are feeling up to it. the trail is flat, wide, and well traveled. but there is a great temptation to spend several hours at the waysides and campgrounds along the way as well. if you are wanting to spend a week or so hiking it, dont worry about the shelters. stay at the ones you find yourself naturally stopping at, and bring a tent along and camp whenever you cant reach the next one. you will figure it out. you'll do fine. SNP is forgiving.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I seem to recall that you'll be doing a thru-hike, DavidNH. If so, you should be in good enough shape by then that you should be able to string together a week of 20-milers through SNP if you choose to do so. The terrain and footpath is relatively easy and the days should be pretty long by then. You should also realize that whatever plans you make this winter will be out the window by the time you get to SNP and your body forces you to stop at every roadside feed to refuel. For mileage planning purposes I suggest you estimate 15-20 mile days, perhaps with a day off at Skyland or Matthews Arm.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful
    We sectioned hiked SNP this spring and fall and had a great time with super views, easy hiking, food, and fun! But finding campsites outside of the shelter area is an extreme challenge as the trail runs along a ridge line. And the rules are pretty stiff for backcountry camping. We saw some hikers get a $70 fine this fall - but they were camping right by a parking lot off the Drive and were still there at 10 AM (like duh, the ranger is gonna bust you!).

Usually, though, by the time thru hikers make it to SNP, the park is a breeze as you're in good shape. So 20 miles is not out of line. We did 14 miles and we were NOT in shape.
    the key to stealthing SNP is to keep out of sight of the roads and fee camping areas / picnic areas - the main way people get caught is if they can be seen by a Ranger while the Ranger drives by - if you also keep out of sight of the trails you are golden since on rare occasions a Ranger may also be hiking a trail- I agree however with neo - its a heck of a lot easier to stealth SNP in a hammock - it really expands you options as to where to camp

David,
    Switching to trailrunners from boots in VA (Damascus or Pearisburg, depending on how early in the season) will help you cover more miles easier, particularly in SNP. PA can be a little tough with them, so maybe switch back then for the remainder of the trail, although you get used to the lighter weight shoes. SOunds like you've got it pretty well dialed though, and you're asking the right questions, getting the righ equipment. Good luck! Bob
    ------------------------------
    Ga-ME 2005 March 27 - July 20.

Relax, you worry to much. SNP is one of the most beautiful places on earth. By the time you get there it will be a walk in the park.

Any information about hiking through the park in January? Does skyline drive close frequently?
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator
    Any information about hiking through the park in January? Does skyline drive close frequently?
    If there is snow on Skyline Drive, then it is likely closed. The NPS does not plow or salt Skyline Drive.

"Portions of the Skyline Drive, the famed mountain road through Shenandoah National Park, will be closed at night during hunting season, Park Superintendent Chas Cartwright announced today. He noted that this is the twenty-seventh year that this closure has been undertaken and stressed its importance at reducing illegal hunting activity within the park, a sanctuary for wildlife, during the Commonwealth's hunting season outside the park.

From November 14, 2005, through January 7, 2006, the Skyline Drive between Front Royal (Mile 0 at U.S. Highway 340) and Thornton Gap (Mile 31 at U.S. Highway 211), and between Swift Run Gap (Mile 65 at U.S. Highway 33) and Rockfish Gap (Mile 105 at U.S. Highway 250), will be closed daily between 5:00 p.m. and 8:00 a.m. The central portion of the Drive, between Thornton Gap and Swift Run Gap, will remain open for overnight access to Skyland Resort and Big Meadows Campground until those facilities close on November 27. Then, beginning November 28, 2005, through January 7, 2006, the entire length of the Skyline Drive will be closed daily from 5:00 p.m. until 8:00 a.m."

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator
    i just returned from the shenny. skyline drive was open only in the central portion of the park. the a.t. was snow- and ice-covered. you could hike it but it wasn't easy.

Quote Originally Posted by mingo
    i just returned from the shenny. skyline drive was open only in the central portion of the park. the a.t. was snow- and ice-covered. you could hike it but it wasn't easy.
    That's what the phone messages said too. They were expecting temps in the 40's, I am hoping it melts. I can be prepared for snow and ice, but not having our drop car locked behind the gates. I won't be leaving until 2-3 weeks. Do you think there was enough snow for snowshoes? Icy enough to warrant crampons?
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

a few notes:

1.) Skyline drive is plowed but only during normal maintenance worked hours day shift weekdays - they also will "sand" it (lately looks like small pea gravel but anyways

2.) the NPS staff will close the drive even on a forecast of snow/ice - the snow does not need to be on the ground

3.) if you get locked in you can just call the park emergency number from the payphones near the gate or from your cellphone if you get lucky on the service - I think all gates have a payphone within walking distance (up to 0.2 miles) - they will tell you what to do from there (probably wait for the on call ranger to come and let you out)

4.) wrt to snowshoes - highly likely you won't need them but it has happened at least once in the last four years that ther was enough snow for me to use my snowshoes so ... and crampons are probably a good idea for Jan IMO - you may not need them but I would bring mine for that type of a hike

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++