Default How to get started planning for a future PCT thri-hike?

Hello:
    I am relatively new to thru-hiking having done the JMT two times. I would like to hike the PCT in a year or two but I do not know how to get started planning it? What/Where should I read. All the online information, though great, makes it look daunting and confusing. Any tips on how to get started preparing and planning, will be greatly appreciated.
    Than, you,
    Julio

Lonehiker (MRT '22)

I read a whole bunch of blogs from previous years' thru-hikes. Because they were written from so many different points of view and styles of hiking I got more out of them than I would have from one book; where most people seemed to resupply, who sent boxes, what gear worked best, how they got to Campo. All of the blogs had gear lists and didn't gloss over the problems the blogger had.

I'll be attempting the PCT in 2018.

Journal Entries
    Images

Kyle Rohrig, aka The Mayor wrote Lost on the AT and just started the PCT with his dog Katana (I do believe he's going for the Triple Crown) and he blogs extensively from the trail. Sign up for his updates, maybe? I'm all for vicarious learning. So far I've learned some simple stuff from him, such as the vistas are grander because you aren't enveloped in tree canopies like on the AT. You have to plan carefully for water. And it would appear there are less PUDs.

Quote Originally Posted by Besalu View Post
    Hello:
    I am relatively new to thru-hiking having done the JMT two times. I would like to hike the PCT in a year or two but I do not know how to get started planning it? What/Where should I read. All the online information, though great, makes it look daunting and confusing. Any tips on how to get started preparing and planning, will be greatly appreciated.
    Than, you,
    Julio

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

http://www.yogisbooks.com/pacific-cr...trail-handbook This will answer any questions you have about the PCT (plus many more you haven't thought of yet). Worth every penny.

We tried to document in our journal (in the 'prep' entries) a lot of info to help those planning a PCT hike - resource list, temperatures, gear lists, resupply strategy, Sierra strategy, food planning, etc. Check it out here: http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=477103

Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    http://www.yogisbooks.com/pacific-cr...trail-handbook This will answer any questions you have about the PCT (plus many more you haven't thought of yet). Worth every penny.
    +1 Still has the best most comprehensive usually reg updated/confirmed TC Guidebooks. You might see her at the Kick Off. Call her Jackie. She likes that.

For a terse no nonsense perspective consider Paul "Mags" PCT planning info. http://www.pmags.com/pacific-crest-trail-planning-info It's all here! So uncomplicated just speaking from vast hiking experiences again. Just don't get near when he's eating or touch his trusty Army jacket liner.

For some greater detail pre hike planning read through the PCT Wilderness Press books. Amazing to me how many eschew these books for planning purposes with some of the detail per each PCT segment.

Next read Spirit Walkers thru-hiking papers. Good contemplating read for any thru-hiker. http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/THP_top.html It will wet your appetite about so many LD backpacking aspects from experienced insightful contemplative thru-hikers who have/had been doing it a long time. GENUINE.

Then consider going to the Kick Off. Maybe, you'll have someone like me slopping food on you and your plate. Seriously, probably largest gathering of trail, LD backpackers, and PCTers in one event.

Please read info about lightweight hiking and leave no trace. The PCT is becoming quite the toilet paper farm and I had to pack out some abandoned heavy boots on my last section hike. Who on earth can read all the resources and do all that planning and still believe themselves to be somehow unique enough that all the advice out there doesn't apply to them? Read the info out there from former successful thru-hikers and believe the things they say. Every JMT thru hiker I've ever seen carries way too much gear and way too heavy gear. You want to enjoy the desert and not have 20 mile stretches between water sources be a problem. You want to go fast and light so that 20 miles between water is a pleasant day hike to you, not a slog under 18lbs of water plus 10lbs of food and 30lbs of gear that takes you several days and makes you worry and fret. Be fast and light so you can enjoy it. The desert is beautiful and should be enjoyed not endured.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

What is Kyle Rohrig's blog web address?

Kyle Rohrig's blog address?

++ New Posts ++