WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Section Hiking GA in June

I will be starting from Springer, my goal is to complete the GA section of the AT in 5 or 6 days.

Is anyone else starting in June? I'm not necessarily looking for a "hiking partner" as I like hiking at my own pace. More like meeting up at the same camp each night. I am told there are not many people on the AT in June?

EDIT: Will be starting hike June 12th
    Last edited by danieldlt31; 04-26-2016 at 15:31.

Although the trail will be somewhat quiet during weekdays, you will find plenty of company on the weekends. Of course, the later in the month the less people due to the temps and humidity.

I will be starting the same trek on June 1, but planning to take a week. It's my getaway--no sense rushing through it!

I'm not sure what day I am starting. I am taking 8 days off work, so that will be me 6 days of hiking. My ultimate goal is to hike for 6 days, I usually hike about 12 miles a day. That should be enough to finish GA if not, I'll just come back in the fall.

Where will you be getting off the trail at? I am having trouble finding an exit point. The closest point to the state line I can find is Dicks Gap.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I am planning a Georgia Section Hike this summer as well. I contacted Woody in Helen, Ga @ Woody's Mountain Bikes. Although in the preliminary stages, he seemed willing to be helpful to transport me from Unicoi Gap to the approach trail. Maybe he could help you as well. I am finding that planning my start and finish points is an elusive task. Some investigation is required and can be perplexing. Hopefully with time and experience it will get better.

Quote Originally Posted by danieldlt31 View Post
    I'm not sure what day I am starting. I am taking 8 days off work, so that will be me 6 days of hiking. My ultimate goal is to hike for 6 days, I usually hike about 12 miles a day. That should be enough to finish GA if not, I'll just come back in the fall.

Where will you be getting off the trail at? I am having trouble finding an exit point. The closest point to the state line I can find is Dicks Gap.

The closest to the state line is indeed Dick's Creek Gap. I tried to find the spot where the AT crosses the road at Blue Ridge Gap, further along on the trail, but the road is impassable with my truck. So, I'll be ending at Dick's Creek Gap. Since I am local, hubby is picking me up, but the Top of Georgia hostel offers a shuttle service. Hiawassee is a very hiker-friendly town, so there are probably other shuttle and/or lodging options, as well.

Thank for the info! Looks like I'll plan to park my car somewhere in Hiawassee and get a family member to drive me down to springer. Then, I can get a shuttle from Dicks Gap back to Hiawassee.

Hi...I may be interested in the GA section. I did it years ago...I'm in Florida

Images

Hi we leave tomorrow. We are starting at springer and going to Dicks gap. Hope to do in 9 days. From flat central Florida

I would exit at Deep Gap, North Carolina....just a little bit past the state line into North Carolina....

Quote Originally Posted by Last Call View Post
    I would exit at Deep Gap, North Carolina....just a little bit past the state line into North Carolina....
    I second that, no sense in back tracking if you plan to pick the trail back up later. You would have to do this section a 3rd time to get back to where you turned around at just to continue. Remember it will add 6-8 miles to your trip to backtrack or push a head.

Go light and have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by life scout View Post
    I second that, no sense in back tracking if you plan to pick the trail back up later. You would have to do this section a 3rd time to get back to where you turned around at just to continue. Remember it will add 6-8 miles to your trip to backtrack or push a head.

Go light and have fun.
    That was my original plan, but after looking at the mileage I decided to exit at Dicks Gap. Deep is 15.8 miles further and could add an extra day to my trip and I only have 7 days to hike. I don't plan on back tracking...I'll just continue in the fall at Dicks Gap.

This will be my longest trip thus far. So, I am not sure how many miles a day I will be able to hike. I just spent 3 days in the smokies and managed to hike 12 miles a day no problem.

My only definite plan is be at neels gap by day 3/4 to pick up my resupply box. Then from there I'll have 3/4 more days I can hike. If I am making good miles I'll definitely push on to deeps, so I can say I completed the entire GA section.

Journal Entries
    Images

I'm starting at Neels Gap ( where I stopped on April 4th ) going to Hot Springs. I'm sure I will see you.
    Im Alan. ( trail name FIREPLUG )

Even in the heat of the summer I've always found that there will be someone hiking. You will not be "alone" for more than 12 hours at the most, probably. I've gone a good bit in the summer, and always find someone at camp at night. (Unless I choose to find a campsite away from the shelters.)

Quote Originally Posted by Trailweaver View Post
    Even in the heat of the summer I've always found that there will be someone hiking. You will not be "alone" for more than 12 hours at the most, probably. I've gone a good bit in the summer, and always find someone at camp at night. (Unless I choose to find a campsite away from the shelters.)
    That's reassuring. I don't mind hiking alone(actually prefer it),but I don't like camping alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Stitches View Post
    The closest to the state line is indeed Dick's Creek Gap. I tried to find the spot where the AT crosses the road at Blue Ridge Gap, further along on the trail, but the road is impassable with my truck. So, I'll be ending at Dick's Creek Gap. Since I am local, hubby is picking me up, but the Top of Georgia hostel offers a shuttle service. Hiawassee is a very hiker-friendly town, so there are probably other shuttle and/or lodging options, as well.
    It's easier to find from the West side. Basically, just follow Upper Hightower Rd. until it turns to gravel and becomes Charlies Creek Rd. I drove the entire length of Charlies Creek Rd. in an Outback last year but that was right after they had graded it significantly. I drove in with my Jeep earlier this year and parked at the AT crossing to finish out my GA AT hike and the road was considerably worse. That said, it was passable with a pickup as I did see a pickup headed back the way I came. It's hit and miss and you're not very likely to get a shuttle to the AT crossing there. That said, it's only about a mile from the AT crossing to where the pavement starts for Upper Hightower Rd. where you could be picked up. About another 4mi to the highway and then you're just below TOG Hostel, FWIW.

Journal Entries
    Images

I'm hiking from Neels gap to Erwin Tenn in June. Starting either the 14 or the 27. Depending on my ride there. Maybe see ya

Awesome...stay in touch and keep me posted. Neels gap and Hot springs are great places!

I'm looking at hiking from June 21-25. Sections don't matter, just want to get some miles in. Sorry to put this in your thread here, I will post a separate thread for it, but just thought I would mention it here in case anyone else had the same dates in mind.
    **Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.**

My dates changed because of work. I'm going June 5th-11th now

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++