WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Section hike in July

Based on some great feedback in another subforum, I was led to the Long Trail forum as we are considering taking 5-6 days in July and doing the 50ish mile section from Manchester Center to the Inn at Long Trail. Is this part of the LT concurrent with the AT so that I can use my AWOL guide, or do I need to invest in some trail maps or guides from the Green Mountain Club?

Does anyone know of any trip reports on this section that I could read? I hear it's a nice section, and not hard as far as the LT goes, so that will be perfect for my wife and me!

Images

Yes, it's concurrent the whole way. What a great section, too. Our journal has entries from that section (below). Stop at the Whistle Stop Cafe !! And spend a night or two at the Inn at Long Trail when you are done.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Yes, it's concurrent the whole way. What a great section, too. Our journal has entries from that section (below). Stop at the Whistle Stop Cafe !! And spend a night or two at the Inn at Long Trail when you are done.
    That sounds like a lot of fun! I will take a look at your journal. Thanks so much!

the long trail map is a nice map, and I would recommend it if you like maps. I prefer having a good map along, even if it's not really needed

Here's a copy and paste from another thread that I wrote in after I did this section last september (if you haven't already read it!):

If you're going north, when you get to the 103 in clarendon, the whistle stop is a nice restaurant (go left, north-west on route 103) for a half mile. They were open morning until around 3 weekdays, and longer on weekends, but you could call them before the trip to get an idea on expected hours
    There is also lori's deli & convenience store on the same road less than a half mile past the whistle stop. We resupplied a couple days worth of food there to make things lighter at the outset. good mix of standard trail foods and great fresh deli sandwiches. I packed in a few beers with ice and cheese too!

Little rock pond was nice if that works with your schedule. If not, make it a break stop at the beautiful pond
    Governor clement is now quite a nice shelter with the renos. No real terrible shelters noted (we stopped at pretty well all for breaks)
    We just camped on the trail a couple nights near some of the nice streams... there are awesome sites about a mile south of upper cold river road if you're in between shelters that day

If you start at route 11/30, there is no water until peru shelter (10 miles), unless you rely on the trail angels that had water at mad tom notch. The ski patrol building at bromley is nice, but only a couple miles from that trailhead.. so an option if you start later in the day

I would also note that pico peak (right near the north end of the section) is a very nice shelter and right near there you can have beautiful views of the sunset over the mountains. When we were there we just grabbed water and camped in the open grass about 500 hundred yards from the shelter

The cooper lodge shelter is a bit of a dump, so you could pass that and go to pico

Pico is actually on the sherburne pass trail. If you take that trail down after killington, you're not missing anything. The AT/LT shelter on the way down killington is just buried in the woods and not that nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Hikingjim View Post
    I would also note that pico peak (right near the north end of the section) is a very nice shelter and right near there you can have beautiful views of the sunset over the mountains. When we were there we just grabbed water and camped in the open grass about 500 hundred yards from the shelter

The cooper lodge shelter is a bit of a dump, so you could pass that and go to pico

Pico is actually on the sherburne pass trail. If you take that trail down after killington, you're not missing anything. The AT/LT shelter on the way down killington is just buried in the woods and not that nice.
    I second this entirely. The only thing I would add is that, while the trail got very hard after it parted ways from the AT, the views got drastically better. I think the view from Puffer Shelter was incredible and I really liked the stretch (slightly less than 50 miles) between App Gap and Smuggler's Notch.

Though the view before 103 on your stretch heading north was really pretty right before you start your descent.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Collin View Post
    Though the view before 103 on your stretch heading north was really pretty right before you start your descent.
    Is that the one with the little civil airport in the distance, before heading into Clarendon Gorge? We stopped there for a while early in the morning on the way down, beautiful spot. The trail down to the gorge was kinda washed out, though, but the gorge itself was worth it.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Is that the one with the little civil airport in the distance, before heading into Clarendon Gorge? We stopped there for a while early in the morning on the way down, beautiful spot. The trail down to the gorge was kinda washed out, though, but the gorge itself was worth it.
    pretty sure I sat at that spot for about 15 minutes because there was an old chair there. The luxury of a $5 plastic chair being stuck at a look out

Images

I am definitely getting insider info on this section of the LT

I probably will get a guide book or map anyway, even though it's not necessary, because I love maps!

Images

+1 on taking the Sherburne Pass Trail down to the Inn at Long Trail. Pico Camp (an enclosed 4-sided shelter) is a lovely spot to stop for lunch; it had a great view two summers ago when we were there.

We stayed at Gov Clement shelter on this stretch, it's at the bottom of the climb up Killington. There are some nice tent sites out in front. This shelter has a bad rep, but seemed fine to us. We got an early start climbing the next morning, got to the top to find it totally socked in, so we didn't bother with the side trail to Killington Peak for views, and got to the Inn by 2pm or so - just in time to get a shower, start some laundry, get a Guinness, and watch the World Cup game.

Saw the only bear of the trip that morning, too.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Great section !!!

You can park at our hostel in Manchester no charge. We will get you to the trailhead and you can take the bus from the Inn at the Long Trail back to Manchester with just one connection. (except on Sundays).
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Images

Thanks Jeff, that's awesome news!

Quote Originally Posted by Hikingjim View Post
    pretty sure I sat at that spot for about 15 minutes because there was an old chair there. The luxury of a $5 plastic chair being stuck at a look out
    I remember seeing the airport looking back south from the road crossing. And Yes! I remember that chair. It was occupied when I passed in the morning so I had a good sit on a wide rock ledge nearby.

++ New Posts ++