WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Garlic
    Images

I like to maximize a pack's payload-to-weight ratio. The pack I used on the AT was an 8 ounce silnylon Gossamer Gear pack (the discontinued G5), and I comfortably carried 20 pounds in it, a 40:1 ratio. I amused myself by thinking of someone carrying that same ratio with a four- or five-pound pack.

That ratio caused me to rethink my packing strategy on a subsequent bike tour. I ditched my handlebar bag because of its lousy weight-to-payload ratio.

Of course, comfort is important. Thirty pounds in a heavy suspension system may work better for some than a lesser weight on a thin nylon strap.

I wish I'd found that perfect pack the first time, but I sold quite a few mistakes before I found it. At least finding the right pack wasn't as painful as the shoes.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    You'll see a lot of these moderately heavy Gregory or Arcteryx packs on the AT, I mean like a majority. It's because they are comfortable and work really well.
    Perhaps it's also because those are the only kind of pack available at most outfitter stores?
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

"Switchback - NOBO '06" MyFeetHurt's Avatar

I'd recommend actually using the Baltoro on several hikes before deciding you want to get rid of it. As another poster mentioned upthread the idea that you need to be 'ultralight' to be comfortable on the AT (or anywhere) is not only incorrect, you'll find the majority of folks you're hiking with are not by any stretch 'ultralight'. The Baltoro is a trusted pack for many years, the quality of Gregroy Packs is really high and they stand by their gear (to the tune of fixing a 10-year old pack for free for me several months ago), and it may just prove to be as comfortable carrying a 40+lb load as any 'ultralight' pack would be carrying half that.

So just don't read Whiteblaze and immediately think you're making poor gear choices. This place is loaded to the gills with great advice, but it tends to be way more into the 'ultralight' religion than what you'll actually see out in the world. If you try the pack and feel like it's too heavy, that's one thing. But I guess I'd just warn against thinking it's too heavy only because you read it on Whiteblaze. Good luck.

You'll see a lot of these moderately heavy Gregory or Arcteryx packs on the AT, I mean like a majority. It's because they are comfortable and work really well.
    I remember seeing them all hanging in a Smokies shelter, not an ultralight pack in the bunch.

The idea that everyone is going ultralight is a figment of the internet. It's not reality. Maybe one out of ten on the AT. A tiny minority (mainly because it's uncomfortable, often grading into dangerous). Do you want to risk your life to save carrying 5-10 lbs?
    You do not need to go "ultra-light" and/or risk your life to have a low pack weight.
    I have noticed more AT hikers that went to a big retailer end up with something like an osprey exos, because it's half the weight.

I think there's a middle ground where you have a lighter pack and still bring what you need.

I 100% agree with whoever above noted that the pack is what you buy when you know what all of your other components are. I have more than one pack, and I size up my gear & maximum weight I'll be carrying, and then I know which one is my best bet.

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

I section hiked for years with a Baltoro and my back always hurt. Once I switched to a ULA I could hike 20 miles without dropping my pack. I'm not sure if it was the Baltoro's fault, but it's definitely a heavier pack and I will be cautious of those from here on out.

Journal Entries

The idea that everyone is going ultralight is a figment of the internet. It's not reality. Maybe one out of ten on the AT. A tiny minority (mainly because it's uncomfortable, often grading into dangerous). Do you want to risk your life to save carrying 5-10 lbs?
    Very very few are indeed ultralight. Maybe 1 in a hundred on the trail. Maybe one in ten are lightweight. Vast majority start too heavy, hindering chances for success. They shed weight for the first 1000 miles.

But a 5 lb pack is heavy, theres no shortage of 2.5-4 lb packs that carry long distance hiking weights fine. Every lb the OP avoids adds to chances of success.

Good target for most AT thruhikers is a ~ 15 lb baseweight. With (5 day) 10 lb food and 2 L water = .....29 lb max the vast majority of time.

The last part of the statement is simply ignorant.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-28-2016 at 13:08.

Cyber hikers will beat this thread to death but one last thought. You could ditch the lid, remove hydration sleeve (if you don't use a bladder), and cut some straps to reduce the weight of the pack a bit. As I mentioned earlier, you don't have to panic because you bought this pack as it will work fine for you. I agree with several posts that the majority of the hikers you will see on the AT, especially early, will be far from ultralight.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

I'm of the group that thinks people need more than one pack. Will you ever go on a fishing/camping trip? Do you have kids and will need to haul their stuff? Spouse and his/her stuff? Will you go on weekend trips and like creature comforts, like a chair, other than hydrated food, etc.? For years I hiked with an Osprey Argon 70L (but not thru-hike). It was great and carried 40 pound loads like nobody's business. That was 6 lbs, 6 oz. I now have a 1.5 pound lighter Aether 70L. It's great as well. At some point, I will get a 2-2.5 pound pack (or even 3 pounds like the Exos 58) for weekend and thru-hikes, and when I really go ultralight with my gear (e.g., a $400, 20 degree, one pound quilt). But for now, the Aether meets my needs and, along with other choices, like a lighter tent, I have gotten my base weight below 20 pounds (around 18). Another 3-6 pounds will easily come off when the time is right. For now, I wouldn't sweat it. As others said, use it until next year (and for the above types of hikes), focus on reducing weight of your other gear, and if you eventually want to sell, a few hikes under its belt (no pun intended) will not diminish its value much.

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

I downsized my pack about 10 years ago when I realized I didn't need a 60 L pack. Also, it weighed 6.5 lbs. My 40 L pack is good for 5 days in warm weather, but still is not "light" at 3.5 Lbs. I would recommend getting a smaller, but still comfortable pack.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

FWIW: I was on a day hike with a bunch of experienced hikers (16) from the Appalachian Mountain Club a couple months ago. It was a 4-6 mile winter day hike in a local park, never more than about 1/2 mile from a major road. There was no doubt that I had the smallest and lightest pack of the bunch, BUT what surprised me was that several of them were carrying Gregory Baltoro (or Diva - the women's Baltoro) packs with compression traps sinched down. They loved their packs and the couple extra pounds was a non-issue to them.

To each their own. Don't get too wrapped up in gear details. Go out and use what you have and have fun.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by skinnbones View Post
    Starting to think I may have made a mistake with my pack selection. I bought the Gregory Baltoro 65 and the reviews are great, but I have since learned this is a heavy pack that was designed to handle heavy loads. The pack is over 5 pounds empty. I now pay closer attention to everybody's posts and hope to learn more when it comes to buying equipment.Attachment 34664
    no mistake, cut weight where else you can if that's your thing and wear it proudly, great pack...I imagine you could sell it as its a desirable pack for many.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Gregory Baltoro is overkill for three season hiking on the A.T., but it's still a great pack. I have an older 70liter model that I use as a winter weight hauler, I've also met a number of thru hikers using the one you have, and I met them all around the 1500 mile mark, so it's fair to say it was working for them. I'd say give it a try and if you love it the keep it, if not then try to either return it or sell it used online, someone will have an interest in it.

Edit to Add: I now use a ULA Circuit for 3 season hiking, but I still happily use my Baltoro in winter.
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 04-28-2016 at 18:33.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by 1azarus View Post
    If you can easily afford to say you've made a mistake, I would suggest you do... you might even be able to sell your pack to someone else. I wouldn't feel badly about it -- most of us buy things three or four times before we are satisfied! If you can't afford it -- just use your new pack for a while, and plan on your next generation of gear as you get more familiar with hiking and see more gear in the field on other hiker's backs. ...and don't be afraid of the cottage industry manufacturers and small gear shops. I would argue that the best selection is on the internet, not in a big box outfitter shop.
    I agree, if you can sell it and afford a second pack, I would look at ULA or zpacks. I would follow suit with as much gear as I could as far as looking in to cottage companies before the big name box stores
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Journal Entries
    Images

Honestly IMO it is A common mistake for beginners,myself included as most people I am sure.
    I have an array of packs for different things and all be it this is A wonderful pack ,for myself it would just be to heavy and to much space considering it is well over a third of my total base weight. (12lbs)
    But I to have A five pound large liter volume pack That one day might be needed for say winter camping or remote back country excursions(which I use it for now) when I need to pack more water and lots more food etc...
    The pack I am using for my thru hike next year is going to be A six moons designs fusion 50 pack that is last years model and can be bought on there web page for 100.00 with free shipping(mine was here in 3 days).
    Depending on the volume you need this might be a great pack for you as well.It weighs 2.2 pounds or 36 ounces.
    Granted the main compartment is 2300 ci(40 liters and the other 10 liters is side pockets and front mesh pocket.
    I have heard reviews about the undersize of this pack but honestly I think there is more than enough room for a three season light weight set up....
    I have no trouble packing mine for three season with five days of food and extra luxury items and still have plenty of room,but I also have cut down my weight by switching to lighter weight options that tent to compress more and take up less space.
    This pack is also know for having one of the best suspension systems out there and being able to carry them heavier loads just fine.
    I can say from experience with 100 miles on my pack thus far with total load out weight at 25 lbs this pack road like a dream and I am buying another one before they are gone in the mix for good.
    Just my .02 and hope it helps.
    Hope to see ya on the trail next year.

How could anyone make a mistake not taking Backpacker's Editor's Choice Gold Award recommendations?

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

My daughter loves her Gregory Deva (women's counterpart to the Baltoro), because it is extremely comfortable and she's willing to spend a couple of pounds for the comfort. Most of us carry a few pounds of luxuries. If a really cushy pack is one of your luxuries, by all means take it. You'll see a lot of the heavy Gregory packs out there. The Baltoro is really popular. (My choice is more middle-of-the-road. My current pack in three seasons is a Granite Gear Crown VC60.)
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

skinnbones, don't feel bad the first pack I bought for the AT was a Gregory Palisades 80 that weighed 6.5 pounds! Today I use a Granite Gear Crown vc 60 which weighs 2.2 pounds.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    I like to maximize a pack's payload-to-weight ratio. The pack I used on the AT was an 8 ounce silnylon Gossamer Gear pack (the discontinued G5), and I comfortably carried 20 pounds in it, a 40:1 ratio. I amused myself by thinking of someone carrying that same ratio with a four- or five-pound pack.

That ratio caused me to rethink my packing strategy on a subsequent bike tour. I ditched my handlebar bag because of its lousy weight-to-payload ratio.

Of course, comfort is important. Thirty pounds in a heavy suspension system may work better for some than a lesser weight on a thin nylon strap.

I wish I'd found that perfect pack the first time, but I sold quite a few mistakes before I found it. At least finding the right pack wasn't as painful as the shoes.

I like to maximize a pack's payload-to-weight ratio…while minimizing the packs wt(just the pack) against the pack volume.

I thru hiked with a baltoro 65 last year , and loved it .
    Granted it fit me extremely well and I customized it as I went ( removed the brain, trimmed all straps that weren't necessary for my gear , and added different buckles etc.) It carries a load extremely well and sometimes that is helpful when coming out of town with a big food bag . I carried roughly 30-40 lbs the whole time and I didn't have any complaints about this pack. The AT isn't as ultralight as it may appear to be on this site

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I like to maximize a pack's payload-to-weight ratio…while minimizing the packs wt(just the pack) against the pack volume.
    Now Dogwood, by that logic, a large lawn leaf bag would probably be your perfect backpack. I think you guys are overlooking some important backpack features in your reasoning.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++