WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    how many of you expert posters have actuallly waded the river?
    Have you done it in late April, LW?

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    Have you done it in late April, LW?
    have you ever done it??

have you ever done it??
    Irrelevant. Answer the question.

Irrelevant. Answer the question.
    no. the month doesn't matter

. . . . . . . uh, ok, if you say so.

. . . . . . . uh, ok, if you say so.
    you've never forded. bow out

Images

you've never forded. bow out
    No, I won't because I've forded dozens of rivers some more treacherous than that silly little Kennebec, and I have canoed across the Kennebec, so I know what it looks like, and I did wade a good bit out into it (waiting for the ferry). The only reason I didn't go all the way was because I was with a few people, and I just would have had to wait anyway on the far side, so I took the canoe.

As you yourself said earlier LW, much ado about nothing. There is this weird irrational fear of this river that I can't quite understand, but whatever. Physically incompetent people die in rivers all over the place all the time. Sad, but things happen. Occasionally, a very competent swimmer gets into trouble in rivers such as the Kennebec, also sad, but just plain bad luck.

My friend, "Party Animal" swam it, where the AT crosses back in '89.
    He was smart enough to put his pack in a big garbage bag and use it as a flotation device.
    I'd say no big deal as I was there to witness it. (although, somewhat of a big deal as I didn't do it)

I forded it in 2001 in October.
    Again, no big deal as I knew where to ford and knew it was not at a high level. (I'd seen it enough times to know by the rocks visible above the surface)

This guy probably knew what he was going to do, before he got there.
    He wrote up a pretty good blog entry about it.
    Too bad he hadn't brought along a garbage bag.

Didn't know he was attempting a Triple Crown in one year.
    Good luck to him.
    He'll probably have worse fords in MT, CO, WY and CA.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    It takes five to ten minutes to get disabled in freezing water. I doubt the Kennebec river was colder than than. And, I doubt your Coast Guard story was really a minute or less unless something else was going on. As noted above, my buddies and I used to like swimming in iceberg infested lakes. Yeah, you get pretty stiff after about five minutes, but not truly disabled that fast. . . maybe if we weren't swimming like a mad men trying to stay warm we would have stiffened up faster? I doubt Legend was just floating in a vest when he was trying to cross the river. He was probably swimming like a mad man too.
    This persons boat was in tow by a police boat. We were shadowing at a short distance when they capsized, and immediately went to pick this person up while the police picked up the other crewman. One minute is about right for the time frame. The water may have been a little colder but there is not much colder to go from 40 degrees F. Another person might have been able to help himself, this guy definitely was not. As for fording when the water's warmer, that would be a different story. I wouldn't but It would not necessarily be foolish.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

I think it's hilarious that the Whiteblaze search-bot found this, given that "fording the Kennebec" is definitely in the top-five most contentious topics.

W/o passing judgment, strictly for the benefit of newbs reading this thread, please know that the practice is discouraged by ATC, and (at least if you're hiking in season) the official route is via the free canoe ride.

how many of you expert posters have actuallly waded the river?
    I swam it below Harris station. The water went from an estimated 8000 ft to zero in less than a minute. 20 minutes later, it went from zero to 8000 ft again while we were lugging the raft. That's not a river to be trifled with, especially during the Spring runoff. This was in May. We were wearing wetsuits. Water temp was below 40*

He's fortunate he didn't drown.

In water, the more you work, the faster you get chilled. You survive in cold water by curling up in a ball and not moving.
    Last edited by egilbe; 05-02-2016 at 07:26.

. . . the official route is via the free canoe ride.
    I guess that means that if you don't take the canoe ferry, you haven't actually hiked the entire AT? Bummer for Legend and his triple crown.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I'm sorry, I just get really tired of people quickly condemning others for the calculated risks they choose to take. I would think that the group of relatively more experience backpackers that I expect to read from on these forums would appreciate the subtleties of risk more that the general population and/or survival show producers.
    Agreed, and thank you for posting this comment.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

I guess that means that if you don't take the canoe ferry, you haven't actually hiked the entire AT? Bummer for Legend and his triple crown.
    My concern is about safety, not one man's pursuit. We're constantly reminded that newbs read this forum. I'm not terribly concerned about the well-being of ultra athletes and their kind. Hiking Viking started a southbound thru hike in winter. He finished and did well, bully for him. But that's not an example that most folks should emulate.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post

In water, the more you work, the faster you get chilled. You survive in cold water by curling up in a ball and not moving.
    There ya go, that will get you across the Kennebec... wade out to where it's over your head, jump in, curl up in a ball and wait until you get to the other shore, what would have been about a 60 second swim at most! Cyberhiking and Cyber-adventuring at its finest.

Images

My concern is about safety, not one man's pursuit. We're constantly reminded that newbs read this forum. I'm not terribly concerned about the well-being of ultra athletes and their kind. Hiking Viking started a southbound thru hike in winter. He finished and did well, bully for him. But that's not an example that most folks should emulate.
    The story here is about an ultra athlete attempting a near impossible task, a task that necessarily involves crossing the Kennebec when no convenient canoe is available. This is obviously not advice for newb's. If a newb can't distinguish, well, that's good for the human gene pool.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    The story here is about an ultra athlete attempting a near impossible task, a task that necessarily involves crossing the Kennebec when no convenient canoe is available. This is obviously not advice for newb's. If a newb can't distinguish, well, that's good for the human gene pool.
    The title of the thread is "Vancouver hiker swims Maine river on Appalachian Trail." They may not even read past the headline. Newbs don't know sch!tt about Triple Crowns. They do need to know that that swimming the Kennebec is not the norm.

. . . Hiking Viking started a southbound thru hike in winter. . . But that's not an example that most folks should emulate.
    But, it is an inspiration that many people can find motivating and we, as an adventure based community, should not be suggesting the choices like the Hiking Viking's or Legend's are irresponsible or suicidal, when they are thrilling, and sure, somewhat risky, parts of great adventures that others, with practice and preparation, can be encouraged to emulate if they choose.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    . . . If a newb can't distinguish, well, that's good for the human gene pool.
    And, I don't think there is anything in Legend's Kennebec river crossing story that would inspire anyone not prepared to think is should be done.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    This is what I call a "hype" hike. The more hype the happier the hiker. If there is bit of drama at Baxter, we will hear about it. If there isn't drama, he will find a way to make it. Even if he doesn't want to hype it, the press or the hiking public will do it for him.
    in another thread I said he was lucky that he didn't cramp up and drown like a fella a few years ago who went swimming in the cold water of a pond...I stand by this.
    His risk assessment was not calculated, and by his own admission he had not judged the section properly and left himself with not enough food and hadn't eatin in a day...stike one!

he mentions sign postings advising not to ford, he disregards, stike two!

40 degree water for what he says will be a 20 min ford his arms tire and began to cramp as he side stokes it. So he hits a fly ball to center field, and the fielder drops it so he gets on first base, safe at first!...shivering, naked and affraid by his own admission. He walks to his last resuply 1.3 miles for some of aunties home made cookies...home freaking run, he made it! But I still say he's lucky, 40 degree water is no joke! could be writing a completely different post here.

That said, I'm inclined to agree with peakbagger here, it makes for a better story when ya say things like "raging river, shivering naked and afraid.

Hmm. "... we, an adventure based community." That's the first time I've heard that one. I'd say that's pretty subjective and value-laden, and perhaps a bit presumptuous to speak for the rest of us with the royal "we."

There are solid reasons why ATC doesn't recognize speed hikes or derring-do feats like the one described in the body of the article. Why is why the official status of Jeff's TC attempt is irrelevant.

Again, I'm quite amused at this article even becoming a thread. That's what happens when you let bots cull content for you. Expecting the mods to stomp it soon, but in the meantime...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++