WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Cabins/Shelters - Collegiate West Seg 05

I was recently watching a youtube video of a hiker's trip on the Collegiate West in Section 5. Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LROOws1NEAY Around minute 16:45 in the video, you'll see the trail passes by a few open cabins with bunk beds - very similar to what I've seen on the A.T. except these are 4 wall structures. Does anyone know anything about these cabins such as can you stay there as a hiker, any special arrangements that would need to be made ($), and where exactly (mileage wise) are they located in section 5 of the CW? Thanks!

-Doxen

they're old miners' cabins. there are some others along the way too, some have collapsed roofs, and others aren't on trail and you'll have to look for them.

Registered Offender

Quote Originally Posted by bpowell1014 View Post
    I was recently watching a youtube video of a hiker's trip on the Collegiate West in Section 5. Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LROOws1NEAY Around minute 16:45 in the video, you'll see the trail passes by a few open cabins with bunk beds - very similar to what I've seen on the A.T. except these are 4 wall structures. Does anyone know anything about these cabins such as can you stay there as a hiker, any special arrangements that would need to be made ($), and where exactly (mileage wise) are they located in section 5 of the CW? Thanks! -Doxen
    Just beyond the two cabins (heading in the direction of the video...north, a quarter mile past the creek, on the same side of the road) is a soon-to-be opened ski-in hut/hike hut purchased by a semi-retired couple just last year. According to them, the Forest Service is allowing them to run the place as a business, like the 10th Mountain huts farther north. I can't remember the name of the joint, but maybe someone else will chime in.

The cabins were pretty run-down, even by my lowly standards, but they can certainly offer some protection from a storm.
    DSCN5569.jpg

Registered Offender

I just remembered: 'tis called the Lost Wonder Hut.

Damn....they sure are proud of it....$350 per night....think I'll stay in my tent!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The two abandoned cabins showed much evidence of mice. Hantavirus could be an issue.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Damn....they sure are proud of it....$350 per night....think I'll stay in my tent!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    $350 divided a dozen+ ways ain't bad... but yeah, these are for vacationing groups, I doubt if this one will be popular with CT hikers.

We rent one of these huts (10th mountain division huts, mostly) every winter for a weekend for a group of 12-16 or so, mostly for BC skiing, tons of fun, but they book way in advance. We might have to check this new one out. cool area.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    $350 divided a dozen+ ways ain't bad... but yeah, these are for vacationing groups, I doubt if this one will be popular with CT hikers.

We rent one of these huts (10th mountain division huts, mostly) every winter for a weekend for a group of 12-16 or so, mostly for BC skiing, tons of fun, but they book way in advance. We might have to check this new one out. cool area.
    Yea sounds like a blast during a winter ski trip with a big group...can't imagine why any hiker would use.

Registered Offender

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    I talked to the owners on my thru-hike for quite a while as they were renovating the joint; they fed me lunch. (Who says there are no free lunches?!) I told them not too many hikers hike in large groups, and it may be why their summer prices are lower than their winter ones. I imagine in time they'll drop their prices and allow individuals, if business is nonexistent.

great info on the cabins - I think I'll steer clear - glad I asked! Yeah, for $350 I want room service with champagne and caviar so they can keep it. Thanks again folks.

++ New Posts ++