WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    AT 2012

Default tennis elbow, trekking poles and aging

so, this could have been titled the "getting older" thread... I have a really sore "tennis" elbow. I'm wondering what experience you elders have with irritating elbows by using trekking poles. Mine don't collapse (poles, that is, not elbows...) and I would hate to take off for a few days and end up having to awkwardly strap my "long" poles to my pack. And while I'm whining, I've got the same (new) issue with sciatic pain. It is quiet now, but does long distance walking tend to aggravate sciatic nerve/ pain?
    Lazarus

FWIW: If your trekking poles are too long, it will create excess stress on your elbows and can lead to tennis elbow type issues.
    That gives you a couple choices if your poles aren't adjustable: 1) Get new and shorter poles, 2) Figure out how to hold lower on your poles, especially when going uphill, 3) Cut your poles down, probably by removing the grip, cutting one or two inches off the end, and then reinstalling the grip.

As for sciatica, ibuprofine and naproxin are both pretty effective and mild anti-inflammatories that may pretty much eliminate the problem when it flares up, if it isn't too bad.

Good luck. Getting old physically sucks.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

After my siactic nerve flares walking seems to help...after the initial flare, though long distance would unnerve me and start it being fussy again, rest seems to be the key till it quiets. I use an elastic forearm wrap for elbow flare placed about two fingers width from elbow bone to the start of the wrap works amazingly well and almost immediately.

There are two basic forms of exercise for the body, cardio and musculoskeletal training.

Weightlifting is crucial for the musculoskeletal system, especially as we get older.

Journal Entries

Tennis elbow is tendonitis, micro tears in tendon from strain its not used too.
    A couple weeks of avoiding irritating activity, and stretches several times per day should clear it up. It did mine. Mine ( years ago) was due to working out doing dips with 135 lb hanging from me. Hasnt reoccurred since. Ortho doc told me he sees it a lot in bass and speckled trout fisherman. Never heard of it from trek poles.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 05-02-2016 at 13:52.

We're about the same age, Laz. My upper body isn't particularly powerful and I have no issues with my trekking poles. Knock wood, I have no experience with sciatica. It seems that a pair of collapsible poles would address some of your concerns, and they're really not all that expensive.

There are other good reasons for having collapsible / adjustable poles -- easy to stow for extended flats, extended steeps, hitching into town, etc. You can set the poles a bit shorter for a long climb, or longer for a long descent.

The other white meat

I've had bad tennis elbow for more than 15 years. This is the the only thing that worked for me:
    http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Band-Sport.../dp/B000FML7SW

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Laz, I can't help but recall sitting in a diner a few months ago and being asked if there was any real purpose to having collapsable poles vs fixed poles.

I'm sorry to hear about your recent maladies, rest assured that you can still hike farther and faster than me, even in your current condition.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

I'd trade my elbows for my knees on any long hike. Maybe, I'd spare my elbows working on anything but steep up or down sections. Then again, I am speaking as someone with healthy elbows, suspect knees and collapsable poles.

God Luck

Last time I had an inflammated Achilles tendon (due to overdoing some uphill jog) my wife cured me by applying curd.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo L. View Post
    Last time I had an inflammated Achilles tendon (due to overdoing some uphill jog) my wife cured me by applying curd.
    could you expand on this a bit, you pack warm curd around it?

Images

I've had issues with tennis elbow and now golfers elbow (same issue/different side of the elbow). My trekking poles didn't bother me while hiking - didn't make the elbow worse, but lifting my pack was bad. I had to learn how to pick it up and put it on in a different way. I sleep with a wrist splint now, it seems to really help, - I've tried physical therapy etc and it didn't do anything. My ortho doctor doesn't want me wearing the wrist splint during the day, just for sleep.

I have had Tendonitis / tennis-elbow for a very long time (over 20 years). It flares up any time I do repetitive motions - recently painting 1 room. I use the simple Velcro - elastic band, about 2" wide, and it takes several weeks after a flare up (available in most pharmacies, I have tried the ones with the pad and find them not helpful). The use of hiking poles usually doesn't bother it unless it has been aggravated by something else. There are several u-tube videos on the use of hiking poles. For most people the best adjustment is so that the lower arm is horizontal. That does mean readjusting for up and down hills sometimes.

Trekking Pole Syndrome symptoms, also called Komperdelitis, are a treatable disease. Ask your doctor or pharmacist today about the new wonder drug Lekian. Health insurance may cover the cost. Regain your independence and active lifestyle. Call now.

Side Effects may include drowsiness, liver failure, black stools, loss of libido, increased urination, death, dizziness, irregular heartbeat, stroke, nausea, rash, a sudden rise in blood pressure, and sore feet. In most cases reported the reactions have not been severe.

Totally safe when used as directed in accordance with your doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Trekking Pole Syndrome symptoms, also called Komperdelitis, are a treatable disease. Ask your doctor or pharmacist today about the new wonder drug Lekian. Health insurance may cover the cost. Regain your independence and active lifestyle. Call now.

Side Effects may include drowsiness, liver failure, black stools, loss of libido, increased urination, death, dizziness, irregular heartbeat, stroke, nausea, rash, a sudden rise in blood pressure, and sore feet. In most cases reported the reactions have not been severe.

Totally safe when used as directed in accordance with your doctor.
    Brilliant!

Quote Originally Posted by theoilman View Post
    . . . For most people the best adjustment is so that the lower arm is horizontal. . .
    When my elbows act up, I find I need to have my poles notably shorter than having horizontal forearms.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

I have not had a chance to try out something I thought of while day hiking. But on one of my next backpacking trips, I am going to try and S-Biner the straps of the trekking poles to the Pack Shoulder Strap D rings (if that makes any sense). I often get tired of using poles and want my hands free - especially along a flat ridge. My ULA will carry them on the pack but that is not viable for off and on daily use. It may give your elbows a break. However, using poles to keep your back aligned can actually help your sciatic issue.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

I got a horrible case of tennis elbow doing pull ups at Crossfit. I think we did 90 in about 15 minutes, along with other things of course. That was last October, so it's been six months with daily almost constant pain. No more Crossfit, no more a lot of things that have to do with arm strength. I would not like to have to use trekking poles.
    It's a horrible condition because when you think you are improved, you invariably re-injur it.

Forget anti-infammatories NSAIDS, they just treat the symptoms and damage your organs, as I was told by a good naturopath.

Images

The sciatic pain got less intense as I continued with the hikes over a period of six months to a year. I remember intense pain from just standing still for a few minutes. Ibuprofen helped a lot, but I was concerned about the prolonged use. I'm on my second attempt of a thru this year and so far pain free and ibuprofen free. Might be related that the hiking allowed me to drop 25 lbs and this is the reason for the pain relief (?)
    Simple is good.

I can't seem to even find the time to hike, not sure how you all find the time to hike and play tennis, I must be doin' somethin' wrong.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++