WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Maine Maps

Default Maine Maps

I will be hiking Katahdin to NY/CT border this August. I have the AT Guide but would like to have some maps to show Blue Blaze Trails, points of interest, contour lines, etc. What are your suggestions? ATC maps, National Geographic Maps, other ideas? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by astafford View Post
    I will be hiking Katahdin to NY/CT border this August. I have the AT Guide but would like to have some maps to show Blue Blaze Trails, points of interest, contour lines, etc. What are your suggestions? ATC maps, National Geographic Maps, other ideas? Thanks!
    This is what you need: https://www.rei.com/product/800469/a...c:cse_PLA_GOOG
    Shutterbug

Images

+1 For the ATC book & map set that Shutterbug posted. I have been very pleased with my ATC books and maps. The books are fun to peruse prior to hikes. The maps have tons of information on them.

Everyone has their own preference for maps, but it sounds like this is what you are looking for. The book is great for points of interest, history, talking about the different sections of trail. The maps have the map and elevation profile on one side and the mileage, crude trail map and points of interest on the other side. The book is fun for reference during the planning stages and the maps are printed on waterproof paper.

Note the book is for reading before your trip, everything you need is on the map or on the back of it. I don't know if they still have the sight lines from the summits shown. They are nice as they point to other major mountains or points so interest.

Unfortunately you cant just buy the maps and no guide.

Journal Entries

Atc maps are "OK". Never looked at the book. Lots of maps , could have made fewer for hikers.

Images

call the baxter state park office in millinocket you can buy maps of the park from them

Go to the Trail Store section of www.appalachiantrail.org Their maps of each Trail state are great, and their 7-set package of Maine maps is the best of them all. For the White Mountains, if you're planning side trips off the Trail, you might want to get something additional, try the Appalachian Mountain Club at www.outdoors.org

The AT map set is entirely adequate for thruhikers through the whites. If you want to explore off the AT, this map is about the best compromise between weight and usefulness. http://amcstore.outdoors.org/books-m...-map-and-guide. It is printed on waterproof plastic. Although I have hiked in the whites for years, I keep one in the bottom of my pack as it has the vast majority of the WMNF and is handy to pull out if I run into clueless newbies. New Hampshire Fish and Game also enforces the 10 essentials as one of their criteria for determining if a hiker pays for a rescue so it also covers the one of the ten essentials (thou shalt carry a map). AMC also has the venerable White Mountain Guide which comes with several paper maps that will not last long in wet weather. The guide is far better for planning than carrying. There is small industry cranking out specialty maps of the WMNF so if you want specific area, there is probably a specific map out there.

I use the Garmin Topo Maps and they work real well. You can download the track for the AT and it is, surprisingly, accurately. You can print what you need in whatever scale and, if you have a Garmin GPS, you can download the whole route along with waypoints for shelters, parking, etc. What's more, with regard to the top sections, the pirate bay is your friend.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

++ New Posts ++