WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Accepting food on the trail

Hi everyone,

I'd like to know what the protocol is for accepting food from others on the trail. If someone offers food, do you just take it? Is it rude? Or does this even ever really happen?

Thanks.

It is only rude if you take it and run. Say thank you if you oblige. It happens All The Time. From hiker to hiker or from random trail angel to hiker

Yes it happens. I would say the same manners you have off trail should be used on trail. If someone offers and you need/want to accept, do so politely. Like I tell my son, it's rude to ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

It's a rare hiker who hasn't "yogied" a meal...

Not much of an issue with thru hikers. As Jack Nicholson once said "always take the sandwich". I view most free food as "for thru hikers". You can always say, no thanks, I'm not thru hiking. You can always tell if it's a thru hiker if they take it and shove it in their mouth...then they ask...what was that?

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

As a section hiker I'm normally the guy giving food, and no one has turned me down yet. I typically just offer up stuff that's factory sealed as I figure most people don't want my partially eaten GORP in a Ziploc bag that I've been sticking my grimy hands in.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

Journal Entries
    Images

Gladly accept it before the hiker behind you who's ear are perked up steps up to accept
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Rude? Just chew with your mouth closed

You can accept food, just don't accept the poisoned food.

The protocol in my world is only accepting food that is unopened, not outdated, not looking like it has been on a shelf for 3 yrs, etc. Someone offering several people an open bag of trail mix,chips, etc with each person sticking their hands into the bag or eating out of another's pot, sharing utensils, etc. is a no no.

On my first thruhike, I stopped to get water or use the bathroom at a little gun club that was next to the trail. A woman who was cleaning the club shyly offered me some candy. It was licorice whips, which I don't much like, but I said, "Yes, thank you." I took them and gave them to some other hikers later. The woman wanted to do something nice, and I thought it was important that she get the chance to feel good about her generosity. I figured that later hikers might run into her and she would again be friendly, whereas if I said No, she might hesitate to offer again.

As to thrus vs. section hikers: I've offered food, and I didn't care who took it. Thruhikers aren't that special. Section hikers sweat just as much and burn just as many calories. Many work a lot harder because they don't get the same chance to build their fitness. People who are out for a short time can be a lot more grateful for a small gift than thruhikers who get so much trail magic they lose appreciation and start expecting it instead of being happy about it. We stopped doing trail magic when we realized that.

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

Lay at feet of food provider. Breathe heavy. Rant and rave like a madperson who lives in the forest. Put food in mouth. Continue ranting and raving like a madperson who lives in the forest.

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    It is only rude if you take it and run. Say thank you if you oblige. It happens All The Time. From hiker to hiker or from random trail angel to hiker
    I was wondering about the taking food and leaving scenario . At festivals, a group of us has pot luck dinners. Accepting our food and not eating with us, is considered rude. But, if a hiker is wanting to do a 25 mile day, or needs to get somewhere before dark, I would have no problem with them moving on. I'm not sure if I am cool with the Yogi thing. On a cross country trip, I had a traveler sit down with me and watch me eat, so I got him something to eat. Feeding a hungry person is one thing, feeding a mooch is another.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RachelChisman View Post
    Hi everyone,

I'd like to know what the protocol is for accepting food from others on the trail. If someone offers food, do you just take it? Is it rude? Or does this even ever really happen?

Thanks.
    Usually what happens is the Hiker quickly devours all food offered. Polite hikes choke out a "Thank you"!
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

I'm also wondering about guitar protocol. I've had people at festivals monopolize my guitar, and a few scratch it, because they were too lazy to bring, or go to their tent to get theirs. I started saying " No I'm using it ", or point out the scratches, that the last person put on it. Suddenly I am a jerk . I'm thinking that very few hikers carry a backpacker guitar, and most guitarists would be jonesing for a guitar after a month without one. ( I know a few hostels have a guitar hanging on the wall ). I'm thinking that for situations like Trail Days, that I would need a beater guitar, that I didn't care about.

Images

I just got a used Johnson TR6 travel guitar for 80 bucks. Sounds about like you'd expect. But it's kinda cool and I'll be happy to share it because a few more scratches are no big deal.

Also, I would never ask to play someone else's guitar..
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Journal Entries
    Images

I only accept gummy bears that are warm because they've been in a girl's pocket.

http://www.tubechop.com/watch/7956173

Never have I yogi'd an meal, nor would I, but I have asked "how's it play? is it fast? how's that neck feel? Is to intonation right on? if the player dosen't hand it over they don't want to (and believe me, they heard you loud and clear). Asking to play someone's prize guitar is like asking can I date your mom? it's just not done.

Quote Originally Posted by RachelChisman View Post
    Hi everyone,

Thanks.
    i only offer beer. hikers have food

It happens. I don't usually turn it down. But do consider the risks of sharing food with other hikers.

I camped a couple miles shy of Upper Goose Pond cabin. Arrived at the cabin around nine or ten the next morning. There was a stack of slightly burned pancakes on a plate on a table out front. Caretaker saw me eyeing them and said, "A real hiker would eat those." I didn't hesitate, they were down the hatch in seconds.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++