WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by OkeefenokeeJoe View Post
    Sadly, GO FUND ME is all too common among today's young millennials. They are poorly educated (even those coming out of college), spoiled, lazy, entitled, and ungrateful brats. Be it student loans, a nice place to live, or electronic crap, they all the time want someone to take care of them and give them things at the expense of others. Again, ENTITLED is the operative word here. It is an ignorant, lazy-ass generation that can't-work-don't-work-won't-work and lives with mommy and daddy until they are middle-aged. Oh, and the ones that do work seem to be under the impression that it's okay to NOT show up for work on Fridays. Oh, and under any circumstances, DO NOT criticize them or otherwise speak the truth or they will get their "wittle feewings" hurt and retreat to their safe zones.

Sad sad sad.

OkeefenokeeJoe
    Second post within 24 hours that you made flaming millennials. What gives? Mine is in school FT; has a PT job teaching in an after-school program to inner-city kids; runs three clubs, and yet finds time to give her parents quality time each week. Although I encourage her to rest when she is sick, she is loathe to take a day off from anything, unless instructor or boss demand that. She is work-oriented.

I dated a man born in the last year of the baby boom, who lived with his mommy rent-free. So, middle-aged.

So, what gives? Something personal? It can all be dealt with in family counseling,.

Be well. I hope things get better, truly I do.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing​ and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there. --Rumi

There are many, many older people asking for money on GFM, OJ.

Also, GFM and like sites take 8% off the top.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by OkeefenokeeJoe View Post
    Sadly, GO FUND ME is all too common among today's young millennials. They are poorly educated (even those coming out of college), spoiled, lazy, entitled, and ungrateful brats. Be it student loans, a nice place to live, or electronic crap, they all the time want someone to take care of them and give them things at the expense of others. Again, ENTITLED is the operative word here. It is an ignorant, lazy-ass generation that can't-work-don't-work-won't-work and lives with mommy and daddy until they are middle-aged. Oh, and the ones that do work seem to be under the impression that it's okay to NOT show up for work on Fridays. Oh, and under any circumstances, DO NOT criticize them or otherwise speak the truth or they will get their "wittle feewings" hurt and retreat to their safe zones.

Sad sad sad.

OkeefenokeeJoe
    And as one that works closely and professionally with teens to olds farts, I can say that you are completely and utterly full of sh#t. You've described a few boomers I know, but go ahead and keep painting broad strokes.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Quote Originally Posted by left52side View Post
    The problem lies separating the two differences from each other,the people who really need it and the people who are just trying to gain monetary wealth from A situation they can extort.

here is a tip I use to separate the fly crap from the pepper: I never give money away. You say you need $ to get a meal, ok...then I will offer to take you to a restaurant. Need gas money to get home to see your mom in the hospital? OK, I will follow you to the gas station and pay after the gas is pumped. Baby needs shoes and milk? Good, let's go to the store and I'll pay. Your car broke down and you need a motel room while your transmission is fixed? C'mon over, I have a spare bedroom.

I have tried this for a number of years....I can count on one hand the number of times where the people accepted my offer. The rest get mad because you won't give them money. I like it because I am not turning my back on those truly in need. Nor am I financing some moron's drug habit or gambling addiction or thru hike or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by 4shot View Post
    here is a tip I use to separate the fly crap from the pepper: I never give money away. You say you need $ to get a meal, ok...then I will offer to take you to a restaurant. Need gas money to get home to see your mom in the hospital? OK, I will follow you to the gas station and pay after the gas is pumped. Baby needs shoes and milk? Good, let's go to the store and I'll pay. Your car broke down and you need a motel room while your transmission is fixed? C'mon over, I have a spare bedroom.

I have tried this for a number of years....I can count on one hand the number of times where the people accepted my offer. The rest get mad because you won't give them money. I like it because I am not turning my back on those truly in need. Nor am I financing some moron's drug habit or gambling addiction or thru hike or whatever.
    So if someone is raising money, say, for an Alzheimer's trial drug, if you're not a chemist by trade, you are willing to somehow will yourself into the disease, and become a test subject?

If someone is raising money to combat hunger in your city, you are willing to go the supermarket and buy and distribute those products to feed thousands who go to bed hungry every night?

Oh, I think you can distinguish between feeding an addiction on the street and helping to prevent a disease on GFM.

Frankly, I hope these sites proliferate. Some people have completely exhausted resources and ideas, and GFM, indiegogo, et. al. are their last hope.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing​ and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there. --Rumi

I'm pretty much the same way. If you'd read my post earlier regarding the GFM request I'm dreading setting, I'd be happy to accept air miles instead. I'm happy to provide someone a meal, a coat, a pair of shoes, food for their dog (if I can afford it). I don't think I've ever given money to anyone that was not in my immediate family or friend circle.

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

I just saw a GoFundMe page and a Facebook post to donate to buy a young woman a new bicycle because hers was stolen and she is moving.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe View Post
    And as one that works closely and professionally with teens to olds farts, I can say that you are completely and utterly full of sh#t. You've described a few boomers I know, but go ahead and keep painting broad strokes.
    I agree. It is not an age thing. I know people in this town who do "charity" climbs or similar. Turns out most of the money went towards their vacation. They are in there 40s or 50s.

OTOH, I am one of 16 grandchildren on mom's side. We range in age from 21 - 44. My under 30 cousins are hard working, intelligent, motivated and wonderful people. Proud to call them my family. (Not sure if they feel the same about me. )

Being a Gen Xer, the older generations said similar things about how lazy and unmotivated my peers were 20 years ago. It's a typical cycle that has no basis in reality.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Miel View Post
    So if someone is raising money, say, for an Alzheimer's trial drug, if you're not a chemist by trade, you are willing to somehow will yourself into the disease, and become a test subject?

If someone is raising money to combat hunger in your city, you are willing to go the supermarket and buy and distribute those products to feed thousands who go to bed hungry every night?

Oh, I think you can distinguish between feeding an addiction on the street and helping to prevent a disease on GFM.

Frankly, I hope these sites proliferate. Some people have completely exhausted resources and ideas, and GFM, indiegogo, et. al. are their last hope.
    Miel, I cannot fathom searching around on the internet for ways to give away (or invest if you will) my money. why would a person bother to look at these sites? In my neck of the woods, there is enough poverty, drug addiction, mental health issues, child abuse, etc. such that i could give every last cent I have to these causes and not make a noticeable ripple. And I'm sure the same is true for every one who looks at this website.

I do not mind (and support) charity to recognizable and trustworthy organizations. i handle contributions to individuals in the way I outlined above. that way I know how my hard earned $ are spent.

GAME 06

Dead on.

The other day my wife comes home from her weaving guild meeting and tells me a story about the 'homeless' guy who always sits on the highway corner near our house almost every day. One of the women in her guild is getting into her car in the parking lot and see the guy walking back from the corner. She notices him get in a very nice late model mid size car and he heads out of the parking lot right in front of her. Crazy, but she follows him....right to a very nice house in the development next to ours. So she (did I mention she must be crazy) parks in front of his house and confronts him. She wants to know why he is out begging if he can afford such a car and house. He laughs and tells her he makes $2000+ a month and pays no taxes.

Beacon Point was a kickstarter project, yes? So why is that OK?

Regardless of where you come down on cyber-panhandling The best part of this whole deal was on FB where some guy accused Swami of not being a REAL HIKER :-)

Apparently, th eOliver Twist post was the only one he read !

Leonidas

Here's one on this very own site with 2 posts.
    http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthre...alachian-trail

As a whole, I've seen fewer gofundme AT pages this year than in the past. There is a certain hiker who makes "documentaries" every year with a gofundme page. It's amazing what people will pay to watch.

Images

Seen on Facebook:

"When did GoFundMe become GoFund My Poor Life Choices"?
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

Journal Entries

I have to laugh at this. A great many of the really solid hikers here, the sage advisers, the ones who have done it to death and could impart untold wisdom here, when asked even a question, might just tell you to "google it", or "look it up, don't ask me to do your research for you!" and the like.... Hilarious to think hikers might pay for someone's hike, if they all but want to charge for information that is just sitting in their brains, waiting to be released.
    " Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. "

Journal Entries

+1 Agree wholeheartedly.
    " Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. "

Journal Entries

The vast majority of people of all ages are the same.

While I think it shows lack of character to beg for money to go on vacation, the person doing the begging isnt the fool....thats the one donating. You cant fix stupid.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 05-13-2016 at 03:42.

One would say co-dependent relationship...whole things pretty damn silly.

And not fer nuthin' but if ya wanna find yourself, fund yurself, right in thee ol fund whole.

"Help me reach my dream" "let my dream be your dream" "together we can be the dream team" "I'll send ya some some poop I carried out when I LNT"
    what croc a shyte!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++