I recently completed a NoBo thru hike of the BMT. Started April 15th and finished 17 days later on May 1st. Figured I'd just throw some things out there that might be useful for anyone thinking about attempting it.

It is as quiet as everyone says. I met two other people going north and two going south. The Toccoa River Bridge area was busy on the weekend as was the Smokies but for the most part I hiked alone all day and camped alone all but 2 nights. Also, because of how quiet it is, you can hike naked without fear of butting up on anyone. I tested this with great success.

Maps are useful. I missed a turn on a road walk and went off trail once but never got lost. The maps (and guide book) helped with keeping me aware of what was coming next. While I never needed advanced map and compass skills, just knowing where I was and what direction I was supposed to be headed in was a huge asset. Plus with it being such an empty trail it's good to know your bail out options should you need them.

It wasn't as overgrown and unmaintained as I thought it would be. There are sections where you'll be dealing with a lot of fallen trees and vegetation that needs thinning off the trail but it wasn't enough to be an annoyance. I got a little scratched up from the thorny bushes but nothing major. You can see it's not well trampled but there's still a formed trail there.

Ticks were a pretty big issue for me. For the last week or so I was disposing of at least one a day. They were the worse for me on the Lakeshore Trail in the Smokies. Being low elevation and grassy saw them out in full force. Take bug spray or treat with permethrin if you're heading out there.

Resupply isn't too difficult, the towns all have a dollar store of some sort that carry the usual hiker fare. I did resupply at the Webb Brothers and options were definitely limited. You can still make do if you're not too picky.

Trail is a mix of some AT steep climbs and PCT gradual ascents and descents. I started out slow but by the end did a few 20 mile days. Your mileage may vary.

The Slickrock creek ford is no longer on the trail. The Noland Creek ford was a piece of cake.

Weather was hot and humid when I was out there with increasing frequency of evening thunderstorms. Spring or fall is ideal hiking time for this trail. I can't imagine how brutally hot it would be during summer.

I can definitely recommend staying at the Farmhouse Inn in Tellico Plains. It was my only town stay and it was perfect. Laura is such a friendly, hospitable person and even gave me a ride back to the trail the next day. The room was great, I got to soak in a tub, had superb morning breakfast and afternoon cookies and tea. Plus it's at the halfway point so a good time for a rest.

Not a lot of open mountain top views to be had out here. The trees tend to obstruct the views, especially when they've leafed out.

Water was never an issue. I would start each day with 2L and top up as needed. There are stretches where you can carry less but I just don't like stopping to filter water all the time.

Can't really think of anything else right now. Feel free to ask me anything you're curious about. It was a great little hike and I really enjoyed the solitude and beauty of it. I highly recommend it.