WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Best find ever

I found dried peanut butter at Albertson's grocery store.

I tried it in that Thai Pad recipe, Chad Poindexter's Blog talks about.

The dried peanut butter works well in a Thai noodles recipe.

I can buy PB2 at a supermarket in a town of less than 1,000 folks deep in the piney woods of east Texas. It's everywhere.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I took some of the chocolate pb powdered stuff on a four-day AT run in March. Mixed it in a baggy. Worked ok. My guess is if you're on a thru it won't be worth the hassle unless you're organized enough to pre-pack and stick it into drop boxes. Regular PB is heavy, but convenient and once one has The Hunger it goes fast

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Lol

Not to rain on your parade...
    But to overtly make a point...

Hikers NEED the highest calorie /wt foods they can get
    This means you carry less wt for your calories carried.
    Oils are 240 cal/oz
    Nuts are 160-200
    Dry carbs are 100-125

Nut butters and nuts are desireable for the high calories and protein. There isnt any issue with regular peanut butter for hiking. Its the #1 hiking staple. A long distance hiker needs food to average 130-150 cal/oz to avoid heavy food carries. Protein sources drag it down. Foods with water drag it down.

This has 118 cal/oz. Not high enough to even consider to me.

Natural fats..are in no way bad for you.
    The misplaced health direction by your goverment to limit fats carte blanche has redulted in epidemic diabetes in the US.
    Could you share with us the foods that you find that do meet your calorie/oz requirements? Or maybe there's a link to where someone has provided this?

Thank you.

I have this: http://www.ultralightbackpackingonli...oodfacts1.html

If you look at the list there, the sugary food selections start way down the list.

I select food items for recipes from near the top of the list.

I am always interested in palatable entrees, for the outdoors, and a snack grab bag that is not necessarily gorp.

I select the best "human dietary fiber" food items. I avoid high glycemic response individual food items and food products, especially so, now that I find out these "empty calories" interfere with fat metabolism and I am making food choices high in fats. I am not a diabetic. I am looking at excluding insulin spiking food items nevertheless, because I need sustaining energy hiking. I also need the warmth from the metabolic processes involved in digesting food.

I choose more highly flavored food, because food acceptable indoors in comfortable rooms seems bland outdoors.

I learned, here, macadamia nuts are highest in fat. I will find out more about that and find out palatable combinations that use macadamia nuts. Maybe gorp.
    Last edited by Connie; 05-29-2016 at 01:26.

I bought some at costco. I think you will find it does not contain near the calories of real peanut butter.
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

I have had real peanut butter, purchased in co-op type stores, bring your own jar.

It is superior to the grocery store stuff, that I am not sure what is in it, in addition to sugar-added.

I find real peanut butter is sweet enough. I like sunflower butter even better. I think it may be sold in packets, more convenient for a backpack.

Calorie comparison:

PBfit
    http://www.vitacost.com/better-body-...r-powder-15-oz
    weight 425g
    calories = 65 x 35 servings = 2,275 total calories

Skippy PB calories per 100g = 588.
    weight per 425 g = 588 x 4.25 = 2,499
    Similar # for kraft.

thanks for pointing this product out. I'll look for it. You can always add oil to it (or many other meals) to jack up the fat/calorie content if you wanted to.

There's not much in it besides salt! Pretty worthless in terms of nutrition IMO.
    Justin's almond butter packets blow it away.

PB Fit:

• Serving Size: 2 tbsp (12g)
    • Amount per Serving My Daily Value
    • Calories 65Kcal 4%
    • Calories from Fat 35Kcal 5%
    • Total Fat 4g 6%
    • Saturated Fat 0g 0%
    • Trans Fat 0g 0%
    • Cholesterol 0mg 0%
    • Sodium 124mg 5%
    • Total Carbohydrate 3g 1%
    • Dietary Fiber 2g 8%
    • Sugars 1g 2%
    • Added Sugars 1g 4%
    • Protein 4g 8%
    • Vitamin A 0IU 0%
    • Vitamin C 12mg 16%
    • Calcium 20mg 2%
    • Iron 3.6mg 20%

I don't have a dog in the fight, so to speak, but my PB carries 182 calories/ ounce, (6.4 calories/ gram) and the link you gave has a calories per ounce of 118 (less than 4.2 calories per gram). At that point, regular unpowdered PB has more than half again the number of calories for the same weight than the powdered stuff. Again, not saying anything about full vs reduced fat or good vs bad fat, just calories and weight.

GAME 06

I hate to break the news but....Fritos are the worlds best food not peanut butter. It so sad how people lose their way.

Seriously though. The regular pb is better than the powered stuff. You NEED that fat. Yum. And if you are carrying oil to put in the power it is just simpler to buy the stuff with the oil already in it isn't it?

GAME 06

Quote Originally Posted by Singto View Post
    Could you share with us the foods that you find that do meet your calorie/oz requirements? Or maybe there's a link to where someone has provided this?

Thank you.
    Dr Braaten is a PhD in nutrition and a long distance hiker. She came up with dietary recommendations for thru hiking a while back. I switched to this diet and it really works. Basically eat about 40% fat, 40% carbs and 20% protein. Check out the link for food recommendations. This really helps as many of the things she says to eat are available at a lot of the sketchy resupply locations like convenience stores.

People who tell you that you 'need' your fresh fruits and veggies while hiking are just wrong. That stuff is for when you are at home. On the trail you push fat and snack constantly.

http://thru-hiker.com/articles/pack_light_eat_right.php

The quote from the article found by following the FAT link:
    “ For Long Distance hikers:
    Half the fat that you burn is from storage, half is supplied by the food you eat. To minimize pack weight, choose a higher fat menu. A 50-35-15 Diet on the trail is reasonable:

45-55% Calories from carbohydrate
    35-40% Calories from fat
    10-15% Calories from protein”
    Filed for future use.
    Thanks!
    Wayne

IMO, which is not related to long distance hikers is powdered peanut butter is low fat and VERY easy to cook with, but I don't think tastes that great. As for long distance use, it works pretty good say mixing in oatmeal or protein drinks, just a lot easier to work with. Not sure for me if it's worth every buying again. Even for cooking does not taste as good.

Looks like an extremely highly processed food without much nutritionally. How are you going to rebuild muscles with your 6 g protein (plant based, so not so bioavailable).
    Really, a man needs over 100 g protein that you can use, as well as a lot of healthy fats.

You're not going to get that from this product.

But how does it taste???? duh.

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    Looks like an extremely highly processed food without much nutritionally. How are you going to rebuild muscles with your 6 g protein (plant based, so not so bioavailable).
    Really, a man needs over 100 g protein that you can use, as well as a lot of healthy fats.

You're not going to get that from this product.

But how does it taste???? duh.
    It tastes like wannabe peanut butter missing all of the good parts.
    Pass!
    Wayne

good for you on this peanut butter crap . you should look like a Ethiopian by the time you are done with your hike . don't forget the snickers and honey buns

Images

dude , is this keeper of the gate ???

Images

Quote Originally Posted by K.O.G. View Post
    Attachment 34725Was walking around Walmart and found powdered peanut butter lol. At first I was not surest I bought one to try... Made it at home and me and the wife went back and bought everyone they had... Lol no more worrying about weight...
    Easy to make and tasted A LOT BETTER than I had thought!!!!

The name of it is called PBfit and we found it in the baking section....

Has two servings, one if u ask me, 50 calories and 6 grams protein... Very light weight as well...
    dude , is this keeper of the gate

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++