WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Sent Money for Item but no response from seller

I sent money to pay for an item advertised on here thru Paypal 5 days ago. I have not heard back from the seller after emails and phone call to him. All un-answered.
    I'm at a loss on what to do. He asked me to not list it as a "sale" item on Paypal so I listed it as a gift, which means I have no recourse thru Paypal.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Journal Entries
    Images

Well, since you are in wait mode… Why don't you tell us about your goods or services?

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlight View Post
    Well, since you are in wait mode… Why don't you tell us about your goods or services?
    I don't want to mention the person yet, but it was $135 for a pack. Maybe he's hiking or something.

I've never used paypal, so this may be a dumb question, but why would someone ask not to list a sale as a sale on paypal?

I'm not sure and I've use paypal dozens of times.

Leonidas

If you mark it as a gift, it gets around the 3% charge for transactions.

Essentially if you send it as friends and family you have no recourse if he decides to screw
    you. Hopefully they're honest. Never ever send it friends and family unless it's going to friends and family

on 4/29/16 @ 16:24, he pm'd me "Let me know if your willing to go $135 since Im going to have to pay about $15 for shipping."
    on 5/1/16 @ 3:49 I wrote "I'll do it. Sending money this am."
    on 5/1/16 @ 3:53 I wrote "Money sent."

Havent heard from him since.

Is it a person with a lot of posts or is it a new member with 5 posts. Hopefully all goes well.

Journal Entries
    Images

Oh SMH - I was on my smartphone when I read your original post and thought you said you'd bought advertising space on WB and hadn't heard back. My bad. This is completely different. More than likely the person sent it, and then took off for a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlight View Post
    Oh SMH - I was on my smartphone when I read your original post and thought you said you'd bought advertising space on WB and hadn't heard back. My bad. This is completely different. More than likely the person sent it, and then took off for a few days.
    That is what I'm hoping. However, he needs to acknowledge he did receive the payment and not leave me hanging, if that is indeed the case.
    Extremely irresponsible no matter what.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    I've never used paypal, so this may be a dumb question, but why would someone ask not to list a sale as a sale on paypal?
    It avoids the sellers charge. I would never agree to this. It is a clear indication that you are dealing with an unethical seller and you will have no protection from PayPal if things go bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Googan View Post
    Is it a person with a lot of posts or is it a new member with 5 posts. Hopefully all goes well.
    He has over 300 posts

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    It avoids the sellers charge. I would never agree to this. It is a clear indication that you are dealing with an unethical seller and you will have no protection from PayPal if things go bad.
    So this charge on a $135 transaction would have been around 4 bucks, right. Yeah, something fishy there....

I'm in a very similar situation, I made a purchase Saturday for a knife on a different forum for $450 and had the wrong email address. When I contacted PayPal they said they couldn't really help so I called my credit card company that my paypal is set up with and they are filing a dispute against the wrong individual because he went ahead and excepted the money. The credit card company has refunded my money back to me also. You might contact your credit card company and explain what's going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a good thing that the individual has a lot of posts. It's a sign that they are a contributing member of the forum.

One time I purchased from a fb group.. Only 40 bucks but all the same, I didn't hear back from him for some time, say 5-6 days. I finally got a response and he mailed it. Some people are just slow/ away for long periods of time. Other things could happen like an emergency that makes the priority of shipping the pack fall way back on the list of things they need to do. I would give it a week, if nothing arises, file a dispute with PayPal/ your bank/ cc company. As well post on here to let others know about the bad report with him.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Images

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    Unethical seller AND unethical buyer.

My father taught me "show me someone who will cheat somebody else, and I'll show you somebody who will cheat you when the time comes."

Both of these people cheated PayPal, and I an NO fan of PayPal. I'm not even sure if this thread complies with the WB User Agreement as it's a discussion of how to do something illegal.

My father didn't teach me this, but as long as I'm in a harsh mode, I'll add another adage that's apropos--

Reputation is what you do when others are watching. Character is what you do when no one is watching.

Sadly, all this over a measly $4. Sigh. And even if the pack is in the mail, too.
    Last edited by Rain Man; 05-04-2016 at 10:52.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post

My father taught me "show me someone who will cheat somebody else, and I'll show you somebody who will cheat you when the time comes."

Both of these people cheated PayPal, and I an NO fan of PayPal.
    I'm not sure if you're right or not, like I said I've never used paypal.

However, this charge (seems to me) is basically an insurance cost of preventing things like this from happening. However, paypal allows one to use a "gift" method that doesn't charge, so how are they cheating. Seems to me that you (as a buyer) are just taking a chance and the seller is the one that MAY be the unethical one or he's just a one really cheap dude.

But I could be missing something here....

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post

Both of these people cheated PayPal, and I an NO fan of PayPal.
    First

You don't know me and you insinuate I would cheat someone? What a condesending jerk

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++