Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 31 of 31

Thread: Dried Shrimp

  1. #21
    Registered User dzierzak's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-10-2007
    Location
    Huntington, WV
    Age
    71
    Posts
    308
    Images
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I know what you mean about some brands being very salty and fishy. These Badia brand have not been salty or fishy although slightly chewy before being reconstituted were still soft somewhat softer than a Gummy Bear or stick licorice texture. I think some dried shrimp brands are produced in the same factories as anchovy or sardine which may account for the fishiness I too have experienced with some other brands. Buying dried shrimp from places that regularly turn over inventory would be a place I would buy from too. They get softer as Wil says when let to stand in water a bit. I too usually soak them first by putting them in ahead of whatever else is for dinner as my water is coming to a boil. I treat the shrimp the same as reconstituting dried ****ake mushroom caps. Dried ****ake mushroom caps can be found for about $1 per package at some Dollar Generals/Dollar stores.
    I love how we can't say *****ake....

  2. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
    Dehydrated shrimp sounds terrible. I would rather have the best trail mix ever, rather than the worst shrimp ever. If I craved seafood, I would opt for carrying the weight of canned crab.

    Sorry ( again ) for hijacking, but someone brought up frozen shrimp. I think it would be great for stores at Trail Towns to have more frozen foods available. At least you could have a decent meal on the first night back on trail
    How about not making it an either trail mix or shrimp decision? I like them together mixing cashews, pecans, or almonds or sesame seeds for example to dried shrimp. As said you'll usually find dried coconut milk in the same purchase places as the dried shrimp. Add the dried coconut milk, nuts or seeds, and a pack of the dried Shrimp to a Knorrs Side Teriyaki Rice or Teryaki Noodles. Dash it with a good tablespoon of Dried Red Curry powder.

    One .5 oz Badia Dried Shrimp isn't anywhere near resembling a seafood feast. It's an additive. If you really want more shrimp add two .5 oz Badia Packages of Dried Shrimp. This info is offered as options to consider.

    Frozen shrimp which can be bought in small 3 oz or so packages at places like Krogers are rather small size much like these Badia Dried Shrimp plus there's water wt and they defrost and spoil fast.

    The BumbleBee Brand 4 oz canned medium sized shrimp are comparatively larger size but then there's again the issue of water wt and tin can garbage. Plus the 4 oz wt doesn't include the wt of the tin.

  3. #23

    Default

    Shartake mushrooms?

  4. #24

    Default

    Another possible recipe that might be considered is adding the dried shrimp to a cold peanut butter alternative asian Noodle made from SOBA Buckwheat Noodles. Adding dried coconut milk and dried PB to shrimp some chopped peanuts and possible some seaweed.

  5. #25
    Registered User Venchka's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-20-2013
    Location
    Upper East Side of Texas
    Age
    74
    Posts
    8,331

    Default

    There are foods that should be consumed fresh. Shrimp, crawfish, oysters, etc. come to mind. To prepare any other way is a sacrilege.
    He said baring his South Louisiana Roots.

    Wayne
    Lafayette HS Class of '64.


    Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace



  6. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    05-21-2013
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    458

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Shartake mushrooms?
    Good one Dogwood. Never trust a fart.

  7. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    There are foods that should be consumed fresh. Shrimp, crawfish, oysters, etc. come to mind. To prepare any other way is a sacrilege.
    A week out and home-dried shrimp prepared and reconstituted the way I described, mixed into something like Hawk Vittles Jambalaya or Mountain House seafood chowder is not to be written off. The texture isn't quite there but because they reconstitute small (e.g. large shrimp become medium/small) the flavor that survives is concentrated and not bad at all.

  8. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    There are foods that should be consumed fresh. Shrimp, crawfish, oysters, etc. come to mind. To prepare any other way is a sacrilege.
    He said baring his South Louisiana Roots. ...
    Fair enough but please define fresh seafood.

    My ex brother in law is a commercial shrimper. I asked him the question about what he considers the freshest shrimp. According to him he says the shrimp that are caught and immediately flash frozen. He says the so called "fresh shrimp", that which hasn't been frozen, will sometimes lie dead unfrozen for multiple days on a multi day commercial shrimping trip if caught in the beginning of the trip.

    Makes one wonder how fresh the "fresh fish" advertised really is. Fresh Alaskan salmon, fresh mahi mahi,, etc in east coast grocery stores? The freshest I've ever had was meeting the tuna boats coming in from a day trip in Hawaii with just caught several hrs ago wahoo, mahi mahi, and tuna or boats in Alaska with that days catch of huge halibut or 100's and 100's of lbs of salmon or cod. Benefit of eating shrimp as seafood in the U.S. is that the stocks haven't yet been decimated to human overfishing, pollution, or loss of habitat.

  9. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wil View Post
    A week out and home-dried shrimp prepared and reconstituted the way I described, mixed into something like Hawk Vittles Jambalaya or Mountain House seafood chowder is not to be written off. The texture isn't quite there but because they reconstitute small (e.g. large shrimp become medium/small) the flavor that survives is concentrated and not bad at all.
    Yup, which is why in some cultural cuisines the dried shrimp are ground into a powder for flavoring where the shrimp flavor is intensified. The intensified flavor means one needs les of this sometimes pricey to other societies lifestyle and income. It is here in wealthy countries like the U.S., where large consumptions of meat commanding a high price, the REAL price, are consumed with reckless abandon.

  10. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-08-2015
    Location
    Lynn, Massachusetts
    Posts
    371

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    There are foods that should be consumed fresh. Shrimp, crawfish, oysters, etc. come to mind. To prepare any other way is a sacrilege.
    He said baring his South Louisiana Roots.

    Wayne
    Lafayette HS Class of '64.


    Sent from somewhere around here.
    LSU grad school mid-1980s Master's degree. Fond memories.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing​ and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there. --Rumi

  11. #31
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-08-2015
    Location
    Lynn, Massachusetts
    Posts
    371

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Fair enough but please define fresh seafood.

    My ex brother in law is a commercial shrimper. I asked him the question about what he considers the freshest shrimp. According to him he says the shrimp that are caught and immediately flash frozen. He says the so called "fresh shrimp", that which hasn't been frozen, will sometimes lie dead unfrozen for multiple days on a multi day commercial shrimping trip if caught in the beginning of the trip.

    Makes one wonder how fresh the "fresh fish" advertised really is. Fresh Alaskan salmon, fresh mahi mahi,, etc in east coast grocery stores? The freshest I've ever had was meeting the tuna boats coming in from a day trip in Hawaii with just caught several hrs ago wahoo, mahi mahi, and tuna or boats in Alaska with that days catch of huge halibut or 100's and 100's of lbs of salmon or cod. Benefit of eating shrimp as seafood in the U.S. is that the stocks haven't yet been decimated to human overfishing, pollution, or loss of habitat.
    Loss of habitat and overfishing? You must be excluding the northeast.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing​ and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there. --Rumi

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •