WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Amicalola Falls to Deep Gap

Will be hiking this section in early June. What should I expect as far as weather and bugs go ? Are bears a problem in this section?

TIA!

Journal Entries

It might rain
    Then again, it might not
    Probably partly cloudy some days
    Warm, maybe hot with sun shining
    Warm sweaty sticky at night unti it cools off after midnight
    Very little bugs
    Bears arent problems, they are gifts. Respect them and they will respect you.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 05-05-2016 at 00:03.

Yep. What Muddy said, only I would certainly expect heat & humidity. I'm always surprised that I just don't encounter bugs (mosquitoes or gnats or something?) on the trail, but I don't.

Bears are funny - big as they are, they run like little girls when they see you, so don't worry about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Trailweaver View Post

Bears are funny - big as they are, they run like little girls when they see you, so don't worry about that.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjJQ...s&spfreload=10

Now put a bear in front of them! haha

The rain you do get will probably be late afternoon thunderstorms. Sometimes they linger into the evening. It will most likely be warm and sticky as the others said. But every so often, one of those thunderstroms WILL cool it off quite a bit.

check out www.wunderground.com. This site gives you the daily averages and record highs and lows and precip for particular weather stations. It is a useful tool.
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

I just did this section. Had rain every day, super-humid, super buggy. Chilly at night (though probably won't be by June.) Bear s**t everywhere. You always need to practice good bear safety: while it's true that they'll "run from you," they'll also get into improperly stored food, become food conditioned, and likely have to be euthanized. (Bears are at greater risk in bear/human contact than we are.) I brought a bear canister as I prefer to tent camp, but all of the shelters I saw had bear cables. A few of the campgrounds had bear boxes also.

I've seen several videos of bear encounters just this season so far. One shelter is closed near Daleville due to a pack of bears. A group came into the campsite and swiped at someone in a tent. They had to horseback them out to town the next day. I want to get back on the trail but am scared to death of the bears.

There was bear activity at Deep Gap this past weekend. A bear went bonkers on a car that had food in it. There is a bear sanctuary either before or after Deep Gap, can't remember which direction as I was in full crush miles mode.

++ New Posts ++