WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I started with Walmart trekking poles with the flip locks that after a year the locks no longer worked.

Just curious, but why did they no longer work? Did you tighten the screw that makes the cam/clamp hold more tightly? Not much to go wrong with a flicklock other than outright breakage of the clamp or stripping the screw.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mouser999 View Post
    Head on over to wallyworld. Under $20 gets u a pair. Mine have been holding up for months
    Ditto there.
    Wally World hast them from $18 on up (to over $50).
    Very few things I would get there, but the poles are one.

I typically agree with the "free" ones that come as part of the trail, but I like a set of "man-made" ones just for the collapsibility.

Alex

cmoulder,
    They would start to slip and I would tighten down the screw some. I did this a few times over the course of a hiking year. What happened is I could no longer tighten up the screw because the clamp maxed out/closed completely and the poles were still slipping.

Buy used. Anything inexpensive and new is going to be ****.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Journal Entries
    Images

Goodwill my brother got me some lekis.

Quote Originally Posted by Busky2 View Post
    I was just looking around their website, and you can buy the lower, middle, or upper portion replacements, as well as the locking mechanism replacements, rubber boots, or baskets. So if you break a pole because it gets stuck between rocks as you are falling or something, lets say the lower section breaks - you can replace it for for $9.

I'll be getting a pair of these soon(ish)

The Outdoor Gear poles from WalMart are garbage. Just don't.
    I broken a flick lock one in the store just locking it, and can collapse random samples(had a video on my old phone) of the screw type with one hand.
    Made the video after chunking a pair on my return from a short trip where I left my BD Trail poles in my other vehicle and had to grab the WalMart poles en route(my tent requires trekking poles). They almost got me dunked in a river by collapsing a few hundred yards into my hike, and collapsed several more times when I had to weight them individually negotiating obstacles.
    Lesson learned, and I've since kept a cheaper pair of BDs in my less used truck while the Trails live in the trunk of the car I usually drive.

I only had one collapse on me once - after using them hard on a climb, and twisting slightly with each step, I unknowingly loosened it. Tightened it back up and it hasn't been a problem since then - just make sure they are tight before setting out. During my last section hike, I noticed the steel/carbide tip on another walmart pole was gone. That's two tips in 500 or so hiking miles. I also noticed one of them was getting finicky with the twist lock adjustment...I had a hard time getting it to tighten/ lock. An issue because I have to change the length from hiking to holding up my tent.
    Rather than buying ANOTHER replacement, I went ahead and ordered the Cascade Mountain poles through Amazon last Friday. They showed up yesterday (Wednesday), and I am happy. They are, indeed, lighter and I like the flick locks as opposed to the twist locks.

Using the rubber tips inside my house on the tile floors, one of them makes that slight rattle that poles make, the other is quiet. It has never bothered me with my aluminum poles so it won't bother me now - just wanted to give an honest and thorough report.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlight View Post
    I, too, recommend the stick. Found this one in a cave at Turkey Run SP in eastern Indiana.

Attachment 34747
    Spent many a night at Turkey Run SP. Excellent area.

Just one correction. Turkey Run SP in Indiana is in West-Central Indiana. Certainly not Eastern Indiana....it is WNW of Indianapolis...

Quote Originally Posted by lemon b View Post
    Wal marts are ok. Currently, I have Komperdells, and a single Wal Mart. Three thru hikers walked into a hardware store I was working at in Lee, Ma. They were about to get tossed out on account of smelling till i caught wind and got en what they needed. Only one was having real hiking pole issues so I brought him in back to our general repair stuff room with tools, sprays all that stuff. A place customers ain't suppose to go, except for family. Don't know what he did, but he left with good as new poles. Guess what I'm saying is thru hikers figure stuff out and make adjustments, but there all gonna need some tlc once in awhile. Don't even remember the trail names but they were family to me.
    The Walmart poles are Outdoor Products. Certainly made in China. That said, they are 20 bucks, weigh about the same as most aluminum poles, have an anti-shock feature, and are reasonably durable. I have had the twist lock "fail" on one of six poles. The key is not to extend the pole to the stop mark or past it. I would recommend these poles as a starting point, especially to see if you like poles.

I am a fan of Black Diamond poles. They are made to withstand the rigors of backcountry/randonee skiing. The flip-locks are bomb-proof. They are not cheap. I do not believe these are made in the US anymore, either.

Carbon fibre poles can degrade rapidly once there has been a cut of some kind to the fibre. Ordinary nicks won't do it. It has to be a pretty good ding. The same ding would like impact the tensile strength of an Al pole as well. Never straighten a bent or curved/warped pole. Throw it away.

I don't wear the loops, ever, at any time. YMMV...just sayin....

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    Just one correction. Turkey Run SP in Indiana is in West-Central Indiana. Certainly not Eastern Indiana....it is WNW of Indianapolis...
    You are absolutely correct, I don't know what possessed me to write east.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

This year in May I went across the Grand Canyon and back. I forgot my trekking poles and me knees were hurting a bit when I finished day 1 (South to North rim). I went into the gift shop on the North rim and was happy to see they had hiking poles. With no price on the pair, I was dead sure I would be paying well over $100 since this was a National Park gift shop. I was quite delighted when they rang up $26 plus change. They worked quite well back across the canyon and through Zion a few days later. I honestly couldn't tell much difference between these and my expensive Leki's. Both are the older style twist lock shafts and I know that they have to be disassembled every few years and cleaned.

I think the bottom has fallen out on the price for trekking poles.

Default Inexpensive Hiking Poles

One issue I have had with bargain trekking poles is that the metal tips tend to wear down pretty quickly. You can replace them with a heat gun and some glue.
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

Quote Originally Posted by devoidapop View Post
    One issue I have had with bargain trekking poles is that the metal tips tend to wear down pretty quickly. You can replace them with a heat gun and some glue.

For sure.... I'm a long-time user of the cheapo Walmart twist-locks and the tips wear quickly. You end up with a rounded tip which slips much easier than the well-made carbide tips found on the more expensive poles.

But alas.... Walmart poles work just fine. I find no problem with the twist lock mechanism that so many people claim as bad. I've bent a few.... by errantly placing the pole in proximity to a rock that wouldn't move. It is a situation where I think any pole would bend so I find myself living with cheaper poles rather than worrying that I'll damage "expensive" ones.

Anyone used a stick pic/smartphone adaptor with the Amazon Cascade poles?

Yellow Groove Bamboo Brand $0 Very unique. Bamboo is hollow stem but STRONG when cut next to a node. Other bamboo clumps are found throughout much of the U.S. Bamboo varieties are not all tropical. Groves exist in most U.S. states. Most folks are very happy to have someone interested in their bamboo clumps and groves and very agreeable to allowing another to cutting down one or two 3/4" stems. OK, have to take the U.S. way and buy something $3 1/2-3/4" 4-5' long rigid bamboo garden stakes can be bought at Garden Centers and big box stores. Sustainable and abundant Again, cost is $0

Diamond Willow Brand $0 Unique. Found throughout much of the U.S. Sustainable. It's actually a deformed diseased wood. Able to be carved. Again, cost $0. Got to be an American always spending money buy one for $15. Have seen gorgeous each unique stair railing and furniture like bed frames and tables made from what was going to be sent to the land fill.

Twisted Hickory Brand $0 Also as uniques as can be. Again $0

All these "trekking poles" entail an adventurous memorable experience in finding and making one yourself with the experience as unique as the finished trekking pole is unique, something to be cherished that YOU found and "built."

Now, of course that doesn't mean I can't also appreciate the $140 Black Diamond and $170 Komperdell sets I've also bought but the operative word here is inexpensive.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++