WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default The Secret Shelter

On your hike, find a way to stay at the secret shelter. It's not really a secret (it's listed in the wingfoot) but I think a lot of people pass it up. It has....running water, hot showers, electricity, and is set on a beutiful farm. Don King and I stayed here. Spent an hour throwing crab apples around and went over to see the Donkeys that live nearby. Let me tell you, when those Donkeys start making noise they are loud! It was really funny. We were also treated to a great thunderstorm that night, it was nice to be high and dry. Check out some pictures 5 stars

EDIT: JUST REALIZED I POSTED THIS IN THE NY SECTION, SORRY ADMINS!!!

Addicted Hiker and Donating Member Hammock Hanger's Avatar
    Images

I stayed and spoke with Jim the owner, really nice guy. He thru-hiked in the late 90's.

He did not want it listed in Wingfoot book but it showed up. He would prefer word of mouth. He has removed the dryer since I was there, so I hear.
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

http://www.gcast.com/u/hammockhanger/main

I enjoyed my stay there very much, despite sleeping on the floor under the sink. [Cinderella! ] The one somewhat odd part were the donkeys. My GOODNESS they were loud!

Addicted Hiker and Donating Member Hammock Hanger's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    I enjoyed my stay there very much, despite sleeping on the floor under the sink. [Cinderella! ] The one somewhat odd part were the donkeys. My GOODNESS they were loud!
    The donkeys are I think from Italy and are the owners pets. That is part of the reason for the land. He usually come to feed them once a day and check on the shelter.
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

http://www.gcast.com/u/hammockhanger/main

Where is this? I know it's a secret, just whisper it in my ear... I wont tell.

Max it's not hard to find on the trail. Even as a southbounder there were signs for the shelter.

To be honest I can't remember exactly where it is, but I remember coming to a gravel road, and there was a sign that said "Water ->" and under it someone had written "you need water" We had already heard about it from Nobos and knew exactly where to find it, so it was no big suprise. Thats a big advantage for a SOBO, getting all the good dope about whats to come.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Secret Shelter

Quote Originally Posted by RITBlake
    Max it's not hard to find on the trail. Even as a southbounder there were signs for the shelter.

To be honest I can't remember exactly where it is, but I remember coming to a gravel road, and there was a sign that said "Water ->" and under it someone had written "you need water" We had already heard about it from Nobos and knew exactly where to find it, so it was no big suprise. Thats a big advantage for a SOBO, getting all the good dope about whats to come.
    It's one of the "must stop" places on the AT. It's located at mile 1323 as you cross Goldsmith Road you have to look for a small sign for water.
    After my hike I wrote Jim Murray a letter of thanks for providing such a nice spot for hikers. He wrote me a nice note back.
    Folks like Jim make the trail what it is.
    Grampie-N->2001

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Just don't set up your tent under one of those persimmon trees. I thought someone had called in an artillery attack on my position that night.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

I stayed there on my NJ Section hike in September 2016. The donkeys, named Jake and Jake, are still around and are super friendly! Jim, the owner stopped by and we had a great conversation. The shower, well water and shelter were all much appreciated. Stop in here if you get the chance, just leave the party someplace else, this isn't that kind of place.

Although accessed from New Jersey - at the AT's intersection with Goldsmith Road - the shelter itself is about 70 yards across the border in New York state.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Hopefully someone can confirm this, but I was under the impression that the shelter is now closed.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

Well that settles it. I'm going to have to thru hike again so I can see this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Hopefully someone can confirm this, but I was under the impression that the shelter is now closed.
    I talked to other thrus when I was in Unionville, NY who had stayed there. Water and power was on, and a logbook was inside. This would have been the first week of August.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Zed View Post
    I talked to other thrus when I was in Unionville, NY who had stayed there. Water and power was on, and a logbook was inside. This would have been the first week of August.
    Interesting. I had seen discussion of it's closure last year on Facebook A.T. groups. I did a quick google search abd came up with this. I'll he glad if it is in fact still open, both the property and Jim were highlights of my hike through NY/NJ.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Appalachian...for_good_6117/
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Hard to believe this place is still around. Such a nice place. Thought it would have been over abused by now. Stayed there '03, '04, '05.
    * Warning: I bite AND I do not play well with others! -hellkat-

I stayed there last May 21st. I spoke with Jim Murray there that evening and he said he was shutting it down within a week. He said he just had some other things he wanted to spend his time doing. Nice guy and a great place to spend the night. Doesn't sound like it is available any longer.

I live close,Maybe I could swing by and check it out.

I'm continuing a series of Lash's NOBO this year and will go right by the location a couple of days after I start. I sure hope it's still open. I'd like to see it and stay there.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

I stayed there about a week behind Emerson Bigills, on the 28th or 29th of May and there were signs up both north and south of it, saying it'd be closing - or closed in June. I was there with: FYP, Birk, Mulgar, and TBA. Jim came by in the evening and we all sat around shooting the chit for a good bit while petting the two Jacks. Great place & great memories!

Quote Originally Posted by Emerson Bigills View Post
    I stayed there last May 21st. I spoke with Jim Murray there that evening and he said he was shutting it down within a week. He said he just had some other things he wanted to spend his time doing. Nice guy and a great place to spend the night. Doesn't sound like it is available any longer.
    It's definitely good to hear that it may still be open,

u.w.

I read a post today on the Appalachian Trail Facebook Group page pertaining to the shelter. Apparently, a hiker, Johnny Red, was at the secret shelter. He has a picture of him standing in front of it. I guess that answers the question about whether it is still open.
    Secret Shelter.jpg
    Secret Shelter Notice.jpg
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

++ New Posts ++