WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Highpoint to Pochuck (NJ Section 3) - Low Impact Campsite?

Our Boy Scout Troop is on its fourth leg northbound in the NJ section. The plan is to start at Highpoint and do 15 miles all the way to Pochuck - but we want to do this over two days (Sat-Sun).

Looks like the 10-mile mark will put us around Unionville. We hear that this area is just flat farmlands? Is there anywhere to camp around the 7-9 mile mark (we are extremely low-impact leave-no-trace campers)?

The trail map shows a campground symbol in Unionville, but we've been unable to find any (at least over the internet).

Advice appreciated. Thanks in advance.

ENV

Quote Originally Posted by evillama View Post
    Our Boy Scout Troop is on its fourth leg northbound in the NJ section. The plan is to start at Highpoint and do 15 miles all the way to Pochuck - but we want to do this over two days (Sat-Sun).

Looks like the 10-mile mark will put us around Unionville. We hear that this area is just flat farmlands? Is there anywhere to camp around the 7-9 mile mark (we are extremely low-impact leave-no-trace campers)?

The trail map shows a campground symbol in Unionville, but we've been unable to find any (at least over the internet).

Advice appreciated. Thanks in advance.

ENV
    Unionville is a hiker-friendly town that will allow you to camp in their park, adjacent to the post office. I set that up for my Scout troop a couple years ago. The one hitch was a basketball match on a nearby court that went on until midnight. There is also an abandoned rail grade on the mile stretch between the two Unionville "exits" on the trail (one works best SOBO, the other is quicker NOBO) that is flat, dry, and could hold a few tents. Good luck and enjoy! The trip through the alpine swamp is memorable, and some of the vistas of farmland and mountains are just stunning. And, of course, since you are leaving a place named "High Point," it is downhill all the way (mostly).

Thanks a lot! I'm here in Unionville now so will drive by the Post Office!

I was actually looking for almost the same information. Do you know of any spots a few miles prior to Unionville? Or of any parking lots between Wallkill river and Glenwood? I'm trying to make a nice section hike leaving from NJ23 but feel like 11 miles is too short and 18 is too long.

++ New Posts ++