Default how do you decide whether or not to bring an ice ax?

is it purely the depth of snow in the sierra or are there other factors to consider? I know its not much use speculating what the snow will be like in mid june right now, but come june 15, what would make you decide to take one or not? I don't have much experience with an ax either, and i recognize that my inexperience will do more harm than good, but is there a point where it would just be too dangerous to not have one? ( i will be mailing myself microspikes regardless)
    thanks

Images

You might take one if:
    1) you know how to use one.
    2) you are heading in early season.
    3) you are pushing miles and can't wait for snow to soften in morning.

2011 was a massive snow year and some took an ice ax some didn't. Some took crampons or micro spikes and some didn't. Some took trekking poles and some didn't. In spite of making any of those decisions, some went through successfully and some didn't. There is no clear criteria for taking an ice axe.

Went through last year (low snow) using only trekking poles w/snow baskets. Obviously made it but there were a couple of times, because of time of day or shade, that the footing was icy. Borderline out of my comfort zone. If/when I go through again I would still take the poles w/snow baskets but would also take micro spikes. I don't think that I would even consider the ice axe unless entering the Sierras very early.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

You obviously picked the most difficult time of year to judge that question. Any time before June you need it; by July you will not. You will hear reports along the way-but do what most do… Send a drop box with food, questionable need items, and ice axe/crampons to Kennedy Meadows (if going NOBO). You pretty much enter the high Sierras there and there is only a very limited resupply there, so you need the drop box anyway.

When you get to KM there will either be a small mass or a large mass of hikers, all making the same decision you will be making. If you don't need the stuff you ship it home or bump it forward.
    * Warning: I bite AND I do not play well with others! -hellkat-

It's important to know how to use one.
    First of all, when traversing a slope, put it in your uphill hand with the strap on your wrist.
    You'll notice the strap can slide on the shaft.
    Each time you plant the ax, sink it deep. Put some pressure behind it when sinking it.
    If you fall, let that strap go to the bottom and many times, you can hold on to that ax to stop your fall right away.

If you cannot, now you'll be sliding down the mountain and there could be rocks in your way, or at the bottom.
    So, it's imperative that you stop this fall.
    This is when you must "Self-arrest".

There are 4 different ways you can fall: head first on your back (hardest way to self arrest), head first on your stomach (you must turn around first), feet first on your back (again, you must flip around), and feet first on your stomach (easiest and the position you must get in before self arresting)

Now when you are finally in that last position, you sink the ice ax pointy end into the snow/ice as the ax is crossing your shoulder diagonally.
    Then lift up on the handle end so that the pointy end sinks in deeper and also, drag your toes into the ice/snow, until you slow down.

Practice this earlier in your hike whenever it is safe that you won't continue falling (easier hill)
    Also, there are so many different kinds of snow conditions that the pressure you use will vary, so practice, practice, practice whenever you can.
    It could save you from breaking a leg (or even saving your life)

I've had 3 self arrests that saved me.
    2 with the ice ax and one with a friend's trekking pole (I don't carry one but had to traverse a very steep slope in WA state on a SOBO hike one year)

I've also carried pointed rocks with me when I was alone to cross some sketchy snow on steep slopes and had to use them to dig in once.

I'm sure you can find something on youtube to show you better technique than what I tried to describe.

I'd send an ice ax to Kennedy Meadows and probably send it back home from somewhere near Tahoe or Carson's.
    (depending on when I felt it was safe to be without)

Good luck and have fun out there.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

If you are going to be in the Sierras before June 15th, bring an ice axe. If it's a high snow year, and you're hiking the Sierras before July 1, bring an ice axe. If it's a high snow year and you're starting before the end of April, you might need an ice axe for the snow above Idlyllwild. As others have said, ship the axe to KM. If there is very little snow or you are later in the season, you can ship it home. Otherwise, keep it until you are past Sonora Pass.

thanks for the replys- i'm planning on getting to kennedy meadows on/around the 15th, and i'll plan on using the time of day to my advantage when crossing steep slopes, so with the combination of spikes and a walking stick ( i don't use trekking poles), i might be able to get away without an ax. I guess i'll just ship one to kennedy meadows and hope i don't need it. If i do end up needing it, can i assume there are some good (safe) places to practice self arresting before the serious stuff?

You absolutely do NOT need an ice axe if you have not trained and practiced using one. It will be dead weight and NOT improve your safety.

On relatively high-angle icy conditions, a walking stick will be useless. Trekking poles have carbide tips on them that allow them to bite into the ice and provide traction that your hiking stick will not (unless it has a carbide tip on it also). There are many, very extreme places I will go with trekking poles and microspikes that other people think an axe and crampons are needed for. Microspikes in combination with trekking poles are very effective in many alpine conditions.

I would be surprised if you run into conditions in the Sierras that require an axe, even if having one and knowing how to use it would be slightly safer and more reassuring. I can almost guarantee, given the snow and ice you are bound to encounter on this high snow year, that you will need both microspikes AND trekking poles to be safe. If you'd rather not use trekking poles, I suggest you spend at least half a day, under the guidance of someone with experience, practicing using an ice axe, and then yes, take an ice axe.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

I don't bring an ice axe because I don't know how to use one. I wear traction aids (Kahtoola KTS crampons) so that I don't slip in the first place, and I use trekking poles. So far so good, but I haven't had to hike in a high snow year (I section hike a lot). I did have one high snow year but I took alternate routes to avoid too much snow. The Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne is an awesome alternate route.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

++ New Posts ++