WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

and in fact I do have an extra therm a rest inflatable pad, though Im not sure the exact one off the top of my head. I'm almost positive it provides better ground insulation, so I may have to take a few trips with that pad instead of the z lite to feel the difference

2 pads @ R-2.5 each = R-5. You won't find an R-5 pad any cheaper or lighter.
    Good luck.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Hikingmaddie View Post
    The Polar Pod only cost me about 35$ total as I got it on a years end sale with a REI coupon so I'm not out too much money and figured if I ended up needing something warmer I can always find a use for it as i live in Florida with some very warm temps I would like to keep the same pad and work on my layering, but if I still have issues I will have to look into something with a better R value. Lots of opportunities to learn & find a better fitting set up with summer around the corner!
    Did you ever think about stacking sleeping bags, or quilts?

http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/...or-cold-temps/

The Polar Pod only cost me about 35$ total as I got it on a years end sale with a REI coupon so I'm not out too much money and figured if I ended up needing something warmer I can always find a use for it as i live in Florida with some very warm temps I would like to keep the same pad and work on my layering, but if I still have issues I will have to look into something with a better R value. Lots of opportunities to learn & find a better fitting set up with summer around the corner!
    That pad alone only works for me above 45....even with a quality 15* down bag and mid weight cap...I sleep cold..

and in fact I do have an extra therm a rest inflatable pad, though Im not sure the exact one off the top of my head. I'm almost positive it provides better ground insulation, so I may have to take a few trips with that pad instead of the z lite to feel the difference
    Take both until you know how they perform. Sleep on one. If you are cold, sleep on the other. If you're still cold, sleep on both.
    If you are still cold, start over.
    Water heated to steaming but not boiling in a water bottle wrapped in some layers of clothes will simmer you nicely.
    Z Lite Sol x 2 = 5.2.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Take both until you know how they perform. Sleep on one. If you are cold, sleep on the other. If you're still cold, sleep on both.
    If you are still cold, start over.
    Water heated to steaming but not boiling in a water bottle wrapped in some layers of clothes will simmer you nicely.
    Z Lite Sol x 2 = 5.2.

Wayne
    will do thanks for the advice wayne

I havent! mainly because I only have one sleeping bag at the moment, but def seems versatile for those with more gear!

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    Did you ever think about stacking sleeping bags, or quilts?

http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/...or-cold-temps/
    i havent, mainly because i only have one sleeping bag at the moment but it def seems versatile for those with more gear! tho a bit heavy i would think

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    I have a like new quality marmot helium 15 down bag I'll sell for $240 if interested. It's warm with a good pad to low 20's and I'm also a cold sleeper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This is an excellent sleeping bag. I have used this down to about 20 degrees, along with some down booties, and I was plenty warm. Nice price, too! Just remember that the temperatures ratings are the temperatures at which the bag will keep you alive...not necessarily toasty warm.
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    That pad alone only works for me above 45....even with a quality 15* down bag and mid weight cap...I sleep cold..
    On really cold nights, I use one of those Mylar insulated windshield visors under my pad for extra insulation. works really well too! And when you fold it out, it's about the size of a pad. Some of them come with straps that you can use to attach the visor to your pad.
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by Creek Dancer View Post
    On really cold nights, I use one of those Mylar insulated windshield visors under my pad for extra insulation. works really well too! And when you fold it out, it's about the size of a pad. Some of them come with straps that you can use to attach the visor to your pad.
    Yep I've also used one..definitely helps just prefer to carry less as those are kind of bulky. No need since bought a xtherm for winter..

I use my Xtherm year round because I know I can sleep well on it.
    "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

if you're planning on a thru hike I wouldn't consider a synthetic bag. Just too bulky and too much extra weight if you need a low temperature rating
    You just have to take extra precaution to make sure the down doesn't get wet

I do recommend synthetic to budget conscious friends or people hiking in some area where the bag is likely to get very damp, but not for the AT

I have various bags that I have had female partners use over the years. And it is amazing how inaccurate some of the ratings can be (especially some budget brands). So just do you research when you find one that looks suitable

If you end up considering used, it does come with some risk if you don't know the person. If people didn't treat it right, the 20 degree bag may actually now be a 40 (especially synthetic, which doesn't hold temperature rating forever)

I had a similar experience years ago. My friends and I were climbing in NC, on our way to camp after the climb it started to sprinkle rain and the temps were in the upper 40's. I was damp and cold all night. I said I would find a way to stay warm from now on. After a lot of research I found Stephensons' warmlite bags. http://warmlite.com/products-page/sleeping-bags/
    The trade off is somewhat heavy by today's standards, but when I know it might be cold, I carry my Stephenson's. Their down filled air mat has a great R rating, (can't remember what it is now) but I keep warm.

Hey all, just got off my first ever section hike on Georgia AT! had some bad luck the first night and had to set up camp in the pouring rain with rapidly dropping temps to about ~35 degrees. It gave me the chance to learn that my 30 deg REI Polar Pod just won't cut it in the future. The next night it was warmer at 40 degrees but I still was chilly and would like to go warmer. I don't plan on upgrading the sleeping bag for a few months at least but I would like some direction on a good quality bag under or around 150-200$.

The end goal is to thru hike or do a long section on the AT from Georgia and it would be around an early May start so I'm thinking a 20 deg bag might do the trick? I know the pros and cons of down vs synthetic and i have to say that synthetic is tempting after sleeping in one even tho I was pretty wet from the rain, but I would consider down. What do you all suggest? I want quality that will last me for years to come, thanks!!

In the bag crunches can warm things a bit and also raise the humidity in the bag allowing it to stay warmer longer.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    In the bag crunches can warm things a bit and also raise the humidity in the bag allowing it to stay warmer longer.
    but don't do a 20 min workout lest you compromise the insulation.

Just to bring this thread back around a bit, I just finished up a 5 day section hike on the Foothills trail in South/North Carolina. I used the same sleeping bag (30 degree REI polar pod) and the same sleeping pad (z-lite). I added an inexpensive sleeping bag liner-I'd say it added about 5 degrees of warmth- and proper layering (merino wool baselayers, fleece midlayer, down outerlayer, merino wool hat, and some fleece gloves). I also brought a nalgene on this trip, in case I ran into some colder than expected temperatures. Two of the nights it even rained and got into the low 40's, similar to my first trip! I was not quite toasty, but certainly warm enough to sleep through the night. In weather lower than the 40's I'd probably still want to upgrade to a warmer bag, but it was great to have the opportunity to find the limits of my sleeping arrangement! and i didn't even have to break out the nalgene!

You could also look into a bag liner to help a little with warming it up.

Just to bring this thread back around a bit, I just finished up a 5 day section hike on the Foothills trail in South/North Carolina. I used the same sleeping bag (30 degree REI polar pod) and the same sleeping pad (z-lite). I added an inexpensive sleeping bag liner-I'd say it added about 5 degrees of warmth- and proper layering (merino wool baselayers, fleece midlayer, down outerlayer, merino wool hat, and some fleece gloves). I also brought a nalgene on this trip, in case I ran into some colder than expected temperatures. Two of the nights it even rained and got into the low 40's, similar to my first trip! I was not quite toasty, but certainly warm enough to sleep through the night. In weather lower than the 40's I'd probably still want to upgrade to a warmer bag, but it was great to have the opportunity to find the limits of my sleeping arrangement! and i didn't even have to break out the nalgene!
    1. You are a cold sleeper.
    2. You need a real down sleeping bag.
    How long have you owned the REI bag? I would be demanding a refund.
    Add up the weight, bulk and cost of all of the clothes you had to buy, carry and wear in mild weather and convert all of that into a decent 5 or 10 degree bag. The Western Mountaineering Versalite or Antelope should work for you around 30 degrees. The Antelope works for me at zero and my Alpinlite is fine at 10-12 degrees. I obviously sleep warmer than you.
    http://www.westernmountaineering.com...ies/versalite/
    http://www.westernmountaineering.com...s/antelope-mf/
    Good luck.
    Wayne

Ps:
    Buy an Xtherm to put under the foam pad.
    Wayne

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++