WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Lambert Meadows Shelter- Recent Bear Issues?? Between Pearisburg and Daleville, VA

Ive been watching Highlander58 walk north and this is in his newest Vlog. Looks to me like both a bear issue as well as a hiker responsibility issue of leaving their pack unattended. (Jump to Minute 7:34 for the bear story and footage of pack thief)

Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Images

No part of that Bear problem comes as a surprise. The section to McAfee from 311 gets 100's if not 1000's of "casual" hikers and Virginia Tech students year round. Add that to the fact that there is hardly anything (naturally growing) for the Bears to to eat yet.

V8

was there last night. multiple bear appearances, and they are smart enough to get well hung food
    They played some games and got into some bags 20 feet up and 6+ feet from any tree/limb.
    One guy lost a week's food.
    The shelter log book is filled with people stating the same: hung food is not particularly safe there.
    So just avoid it. I got in at 8 pm, so didn't have great options

At the very least, use a 2 rope and 2 tree hang, pct method, etc. But they will still creep you all night there if you stay! lol

the campbell shelter above that has also had issues.

Images

I can't imagine a scenario that I would leave my gear and walk off. I would pick up the gear and leave. Pack wouldn't be left unattended to allow a bear to get between you and pack. Too bad that learn behavior will likely result in a bad ending for the Bears.

Ok there is some bears in the area. I dont blame a freaked out hiker for leaving his pack. Most inexperienced hikers would do the same. But tfor wo trues to video the taking of a pack by a bear without yelling and screaming throwing rocks clacking poles or something....whispering while videoing...really? They had the single hiker's back. Yes sir. Didnt even call out for the single hiker to see if he was around the perimeter or hurt or anything. hhmmm

I hate to say it but that bear will probably (maybe should at this point) be relocated. I gotta agree with canoe that standing there letting the bear get the pack probably wasn't the best move. Also agree with Malto..why would you leave your pack there? Pretty unfortunate event.

Did the section last year (July 4th weekend) from Pearisburg back up to Troutville (next stop N f/ Daleville). Did it solo of course, and it rained more less all four days - sometimes of biblical proportions... Didn't have any bear encounters - perhaps (likely) due to the rain. I stayed near Campbell Shelter on my hike and did a water/snack stop at Lambert Meadows Shelter as I headed to Troutville to finish up - no bears encountered or seen. After my hike - a whole week after, even - I heard there were bear encounters, issues/problems at both of those shelters (Campbell & Lambert Meadows).... So it's been going on for nearly a year now in that area at least... and with SIX at a shelter.... wow.. and they've learned to associate hikers with food... not good... perhaps it is time for some intervention, trap/re-locate/etc...

It is a nice bit of ridge with views off to the right of the beautiful teal green Carvins Cove Reservoir on yer way into Daleville... Surprised that didn't make the video...

u.w.

Yeap, don't leave your pack just laying around and don't leave food in the trees for bears.

People are giving these bears too much respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Studlintsean View Post
    I hate to say it but that bear will probably (maybe should at this point) be relocated. I gotta agree with canoe that standing there letting the bear get the pack probably wasn't the best move. Also agree with Malto..why would you leave your pack there? Pretty unfortunate event.
    Relocating is expensive and it doesn't work https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...ZwPbw_58#at=40

Honestly I think this is a main result of people irresponsible setting off on a 2000 mile journey with little to no previous knowledge or common sense in the woods. Not that I am the know all kind of the woods by any means, but I know my damn pack stays with me, and my food isn't getting far enough away from me that a bear is confident enough to take it. I wouldn't sit by like I was at a zoo and let a bear nab some poor guys pack, even if he was scared enough to run away from the shelter and leave his stuff. Ya gotta respect the bears, but to a certain degree you gotta hold your ground or you are continuing the problem. The bear then knows " If I intimidate this dude, he might drop his pack of goodies and run".

Unfortunately those were fairly polite bears working their way up the scale to far more aggressive behavior. Eventually they will be bluff charging into the campsite grabbing packs and hauling them off with none of hesitancy of the bear in the video. Someone will get hurt at some point. Depending on the states policy they will either show and disposed of locally or relocated to some other location where they most likely will be starved and harassed by the local bears who already live in the relocation area.

Leonidas

Plus the guy with the pack had bear spray and a Glock. If I had to guess, they were probably both in his pack though...

the guy who left his pack just went down to the creek to get water. it's only about 50 yards at that shelter. Then the bears arrived..
    can you really say that you carry your pack to get water at every shelter you've been at? I've never seen people do that.

I don't know why there aren't bear boxes installed at problem shelters? It just seems a good thing to do at shelters that have a lot of section hikers and known bear issues.

I don't know why people are not getting the facts straight from the video, audio turned off?

The owner of the pack: Specifically said that the owner of the pack saw the bears, and put his stuff down, and ran down the trail where he shortly after, ran into a trail volunteer...Where did you gather he was getting water?? And YES if I am the only one at a shelter, my pack is with eye sight.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    I don't know why people are not getting the facts straight from the video, audio turned off?

The owner of the pack: Specifically said that the owner of the pack saw the bears, and put his stuff down, and ran down the trail where he shortly after, ran into a trail volunteer...Where did you gather he was getting water?? And YES if I am the only one at a shelter, my pack is with eye sight.
    You are right GMC. 5-6 bears would be very intimidating if inexperienced, and no other encounters with bear. I probably, in my younger years, would have done the same thing if I was by myself. Unfortunantly you now have six bears that need to be relocated. THe others were watching and learning this behavior. absolutely need bear box and or bear poles at this location. Maybe, dont shoot me, a hunting season. piantball, rubber bullets, these bears need to be re educated. quickly

I got that he was getting water because that was the story he told people elsewhere.

another person's account:
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=532094

Doesn't matter much, but fact is that all but the most pro hikers (like some here) might not react so well to 5-6 bear!

Journal Entries
    Images

Wow. As a noob I once left my pack on a picnic table to go get some water that was .3 miles away. That was a few years ago. I'd at least hang it or take my food bag with me nowadays. What was interesting was how Highlander said a bear canister was left behind (presumably outside the pack), but the bear went straight for the pack instead. Or so it seems.

What I didn't understand was filming and not trying to scare the bear off the hiker's pack. I'd at least try to do something instead of watching someone's hike get ruined.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

Quote Originally Posted by JumpMaster Blaster View Post
    Wow. As a noob I once left my pack on a picnic table to go get some water that was .3 miles away. That was a few years ago. I'd at least hang it or take my food bag with me nowadays. What was interesting was how Highlander said a bear canister was left behind (presumably outside the pack), but the bear went straight for the pack instead. Or so it seems.

What I didn't understand was filming and not trying to scare the bear off the hiker's pack. I'd at least try to do something instead of watching someone's hike get ruined.
    Our packs and tents are an aromatic smorgasbord to bears and we all walk around them wearing these buffets strapped to our backs, while they are contemplating how much of a threat we really are...

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    Our packs and tents are an aromatic smorgasbord to bears and we all walk around them wearing these buffets strapped to our backs, while they are contemplating how much of a threat we really are...
    Our packs are like a big salt black for a bear lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++