WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JumpMaster Blaster View Post
    Wow. As a noob I once left my pack on a picnic table to go get some water that was .3 miles away. That was a few years ago. I'd at least hang it or take my food bag with me nowadays. What was interesting was how Highlander said a bear canister was left behind (presumably outside the pack), but the bear went straight for the pack instead. Or so it seems.

What I didn't understand was filming and not trying to scare the bear off the hiker's pack. I'd at least try to do something instead of watching someone's hike get ruined.
    You must be very, very old. Don't you know that you can't let something like a bear shredding someone's gear stand in the way of a good video. If they chased the Bears away, the video wouldn't have been as good.

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    You must be very, very old. Don't you know that you can't let something like a bear shredding someone's gear stand in the way of a good video. If they chased the Bears away, the video wouldn't have been as good.
    Cost of some gear = $2,000
    Value of a good bear vlog = priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Honestly I think this is a main result of people irresponsible setting off on a 2000 mile journey with little to no previous knowledge or common sense in the woods. Not that I am the know all kind of the woods by any means, but I know my damn pack stays with me, and my food isn't getting far enough away from me that a bear is confident enough to take it. I wouldn't sit by like I was at a zoo and let a bear nab some poor guys pack, even if he was scared enough to run away from the shelter and leave his stuff. Ya gotta respect the bears, but to a certain degree you gotta hold your ground or you are continuing the problem. The bear then knows " If I intimidate this dude, he might drop his pack of goodies and run".
    http://www.wcpo.com/news/national/be...moky-mountains Listen to what the ranger says about dropping your pack. around 4:30

And people worry about a few snakes and spiders where I live. Just made a note to make sure I hike, with someone, straight through that area next year. I want to see one bear, preferably well off in the distance, and I will be happy. Any closer and I will not be a happy bushwalker.
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    Our packs and tents are an aromatic smorgasbord to bears and we all walk around them wearing these buffets strapped to our backs, while they are contemplating how much of a threat we really are...
    Most of the Black Bears on the AT, still respect the right of possession. Otherwise, they would be tackling us as we walk.

V8

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++