WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

The instant gratification generation

Quote Originally Posted by merebrilliance View Post
    ... The awesome part about asking for things is that others have the right to say no, nothing is forced on you. ...
    Yes, you can ask/ beg for money from strangers but, you mother should have taught you better. Then again, "where is the fun in that?"

Wow! Thanks for all the uproar and opinions! I don't feel entitled to anything, but I agree...there are many who do; however, not every subject in a stereotypical group actually fits that stereotype. Honestly, I am surprised by the actual donations I have received. It was not my idea to start a gofundme, but after running short in funds, I took the advice. Sure I could have worked this semester and ended up failing or dropping. We started with 63 students and are down to 26. I am currently working as of Monday, and will continue until I leave. Sure, I can stay and work, but where is the fun in that? The awesome part about asking for things is that others have the right to say no, nothing is forced on you. We all waste money everyday. I am giving people another option to 'waste' money on. There are many people who have been able to live vicariously through my hiking experiences, and I enjoy taking the time on my journeys to think of them, and be thankful my feet can actually carry me to such amazing and beautiful places; I was once morbidly obese and thankfully, I am no longer a prisoner to my body.

Throw stones if you must. I hope one will be a Skipper :-)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    When I turned 16, Dad said "Son you can now have any car you want. You just have to pay for it."

Maybe it was upbringing. Sue your parents and settle out of court for $4,000. There's some fun in that.
    The older I get, the faster I hiked.

Sure, I can stay and work, but where is the fun in that?
    I hope you learn that life isn't always fun before you get out into the real world. Sometimes you have to make sacrifices to achieve your goals.

As for being obese, that really has nothing to do with this discussion. I, too, was in the same situation as you are. Getting into hiking probably saved my life, or extended it a good bit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    The instant gratification generation
    Hmmm. They said that about my baby boomer generation.

All generations want this in some way. Now there's just technology to spread awareness of it.

I have no problem with fundraising sites. They've allowed me to contribute to a few things I may not have been aware of. But all have been non-profits, be it documentary filmmaking or illness treatments.

The OP is a different story. If she is walking to raise funds say, for Alzheimer's awareness, I'm in. But if she wants peeps to fund her hike just to pay her way, I'm not. I'll be doing my AT thru as a fundraiser, but will first save the $6,000 - $7,000 to pay for my hike. The fundraising part will be like a walkathon. I pay for my gear; zero days; transportation; food, etc., and will do that before I post the fundraiser on GFM or whatever site will be used a few years from now. No different to me than getting a fundraising letter in the mail, except GFM will take 8 percent off the top from my account, not the organization's.

Mere - Congrats on getting the weight off. I did the Long Trail (Vermont) and lost tons of weight on that. So as your walk gets closer, check back here to read the many excellent posts by the vets here on nutrition on the trail.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing​ and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there. --Rumi

Journal Entries
    Images

Miel,

You're so conciliatory. I mean that as a compliment. I lobbed a few grenades at merebrilliance in the way of sarcasm and snarky comments. But you make a good point. I've given on GFM before, but it was for Martyn Ashton, a MTB'er who broke his back and needed rehab equipment. And a girl in Buduburam refugee camp who needed meds. And a kid with cancer. Etc. I've never given so that a college student could take a summer vacation. I don't wish merebrilliance any bad will, I just thought coming here to post for donations was sort of like crashing a wedding reception, grabbing the mic from the best man, and asking for moolah. Not only is nobody going to pitch in (the original $100 was a self-donation, you can betcha azz), everyone there is going to be whispering "OMG" under their breath. You just. Don't. Do That.

Fundraisers, sure.

Financing your vacation? Look up the term "self-licking ice cream cone."

Quote Originally Posted by Miel View Post
    Hmmm. They said that about my baby boomer generation.

All generations want this in some way. Now there's just technology to spread awareness of it.

I have no problem with fundraising sites. They've allowed me to contribute to a few things I may not have been aware of. But all have been non-profits, be it documentary filmmaking or illness treatments.

The OP is a different story. If she is walking to raise funds say, for Alzheimer's awareness, I'm in. But if she wants peeps to fund her hike just to pay her way, I'm not. I'll be doing my AT thru as a fundraiser, but will first save the $6,000 - $7,000 to pay for my hike. The fundraising part will be like a walkathon. I pay for my gear; zero days; transportation; food, etc., and will do that before I post the fundraiser on GFM or whatever site will be used a few years from now. No different to me than getting a fundraising letter in the mail, except GFM will take 8 percent off the top from my account, not the organization's.

Mere - Congrats on getting the weight off. I did the Long Trail (Vermont) and lost tons of weight on that. So as your walk gets closer, check back here to read the many excellent posts by the vets here on nutrition on the trail.

279.6 Miler (Tanyard Gap) CamelMan's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I don't fund mere brilliance. There would have to be something socially useful. A nurse will soon be able to pay for all his/her thru-hiking themselves.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlight View Post
    Miel,

You're so conciliatory. I mean that as a compliment. I lobbed a few grenades at merebrilliance in the way of sarcasm and snarky comments. But you make a good point. I've given on GFM before, but it was for Martyn Ashton, a MTB'er who broke his back and needed rehab equipment. And a girl in Buduburam refugee camp who needed meds. And a kid with cancer. Etc. I've never given so that a college student could take a summer vacation. I don't wish merebrilliance any bad will, I just thought coming here to post for donations was sort of like crashing a wedding reception, grabbing the mic from the best man, and asking for moolah. Not only is nobody going to pitch in (the original $100 was a self-donation, you can betcha azz), everyone there is going to be whispering "OMG" under their breath. You just. Don't. Do That.

Fundraisers, sure.

Financing your vacation? Look up the term "self-licking ice cream cone."
    ITA, Greenlight. But if someone wants to throw money at someone and it doesn't take away from, say, their own child, I'm fine with that. I won't take food out of my own child's mouth. But it makes some peeps feel good to give away their funds. Your own giving sounds worthy, necessary. That rehab equipment is expensive, and even under the ACA, insurance doesn't cover all of it all the time.

(When I married, which was close to mid-life, my husband and I only asked for the presence of our loved ones, not their presents. Some gifted us anyway, which we graciously received. I paid a CNA so my mother, who had Alzheimer's, could attend. Worth every dollar.)

Basically, I do my research and prefer GFM requests in which an accounting of money spent is updated on the page from time to time.

Right now my "project" is tending to chestnut tree seeds, growing them because of the blight here in the U.S. No money spent except on sterile potting soil, seeds collected from the trees in my neighborhood. I hope to be the Johnny Appleseed of the North Shore of Boston.
    Last edited by Miel; 05-12-2016 at 17:48. Reason: typo
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing​ and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there. --Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlight View Post
    Every generation after Adam was the worst generation ever. And according to the kids, their parents screwed everything up.

Except for the Greatest Generation. They kicked butt, and reset the clock, so their kids (us) were... well, Hippies and their grandkids were Hipsters. The Greatest Generation created the Hippies. We're going to be okay.
    I am well aware that each generation believes the next generation is "the worst generation ever;" however, I am now retired, but after hiring/firing young college educated persons entering the workplace for the past several DECADES I can say, without hesitation, that the current crop of millennials (20-something and 30-something year-olds) have hit an all-time low in marketability. With rare exception, I have found millennials entering the workplace to be ignorant (thank you common core and government education), lazy (no work ethic), entitled, sloppy, uninspired, selfish, ungrateful, void of patriotism, void of personal ethics and character, and overly demanding. To make matters worse, they could care less. These young spoiled brats are perfectly content sitting at home, mooching off mommy and daddy, hoping an inheritance will one day fall in their lap. In their world, tardiness and calling out (from work) is common place, and working on a Friday, to them, is optional. In today's professional world is a rare rare occurrence, indeed, when a stellar (millennial) candidate enters the door looking for employment, and when that happens it gives the senior executive staff cause for celebration.

So, YES, there is a definite and measurable decline in today's millennials vs the young adults of yesteryear. Sadly, looking at the sea of millennials who are foolishly and ignorantly affected by "the Bern," I am afraid it is only going to get worse.

OkeefenokeeJoe

279.6 Miler (Tanyard Gap) CamelMan's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I doubt they're genetically inferior. Maybe something about the environment has changed. Maybe they couldn't give a rat's anus about spending their lives in thrall to corporations, working hard and giving a crap in order to make other people rich, in exchange for crumbs from the table. Looks like the kids are alright.

Journal Entries
    Images

That is really neat! I wouldn't have thought of that. I live in Ash country, and the emerald ash borer is wreaking havoc on the trees. People around here are doinog everything they can to save the best of the species, but the treatment is expensive and not guaranteed to work. I hope your efforts bear "fruit."

Right now my "project" is tending to chestnut tree seeds, growing them because of the blight here in the U.S. No money spent except on sterile potting soil, seeds collected from the trees in my neighborhood. I hope to be the Johnny Appleseed of the North Shore of Boston.

Journal Entries
    Images

Okee,

I've been privileged to spend the past decade working with military personnel and people who come from that culture. I hear horror stories from the recruiters sometimes, but I thought that was a perennial complaint, too. Believe it or not, boot camp (as watered down as it has become in the Army) knocks a lot of that crap out of the kids. By the time they got to my work area, they were at least buck sergeants and pretty much had their heads on straight.

Thanks for the insights.

Quote Originally Posted by OkeefenokeeJoe View Post
    I am well aware that each generation believes the next generation is "the worst generation ever;" however, I am now retired, but after hiring/firing young college educated persons entering the workplace for the past several DECADES I can say, without hesitation, that the current crop of millennials (20-something and 30-something year-olds) have hit an all-time low in marketability. With rare exception, I have found millennials entering the workplace to be ignorant (thank you common core and government education), lazy (no work ethic), entitled, sloppy, uninspired, selfish, ungrateful, void of patriotism, void of personal ethics and character, and overly demanding. To make matters worse, they could care less. These young spoiled brats are perfectly content sitting at home, mooching off mommy and daddy, hoping an inheritance will one day fall in their lap. In their world, tardiness and calling out (from work) is common place, and working on a Friday, to them, is optional. In today's professional world is a rare rare occurrence, indeed, when a stellar (millennial) candidate enters the door looking for employment, and when that happens it gives the senior executive staff cause for celebration.

So, YES, there is a definite and measurable decline in today's millennials vs the young adults of yesteryear. Sadly, looking at the sea of millennials who are foolishly and ignorantly affected by "the Bern," I am afraid it is only going to get worse.

OkeefenokeeJoe

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

OkeefenokeeJoe

1) Thank you, Greenlight.

2) Okee - I hardly think that "patriotism" (whatever that means these days) is a measure of good moral character. In my childhood "patriotism" sent impoverished young men to die in Vietnam.

Oh hey, I got called out by the mods for being political! Yet you get away with flaming Bernie supporters. Hmm, must be a cae around here not of patriotism but of favoritism.

In any case, Sen. Joe McCarthy and the 1950s called. They want you back.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Exquisite!

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

but after hiring/firing young college educated persons entering the workplace for the past several DECADES I can say, without hesitation, that the current crop of millennials (20-something and 30-something year-olds) have hit an all-time low in marketability.
    I am shocked, shocked, shocked that DECADES ago you thought better of twenty-somethings. Nothing do with the fact that DECADES ago you were a twenty-something as well.

Old complaints...from dare I say, old people?

Yeah, I think so.
    http://mentalfloss.com/article/52209...ing-everything

Paul - bald, early middle aged guy who knows some kick ass twenty-somethings. We are going to be just fine...

Oh hey, I got called out by the mods for being political! Yet you get away with flaming Bernie supporters. Hmm, must be a cae around here not of patriotism but of favoritism.
    No. It is called we do this voluntarily and we can't read every damn post-that-closely-thankyou-very-much.

And, if you read above, I am not exactly showing favoritism.

Paul - still a bald, early middle aged guy, but one who really should not waste his time with posts like Miel's above because he is about to have a beer with his friends. Thankyou-very-much.
    Last edited by Mags; 05-12-2016 at 21:33.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    I am shocked, shocked, shocked that DECADES ago you thought better of twenty-somethings. Nothing do with the fact that DECADES ago you were a twenty-something as well.

Old complaints...from dare I say, old people?

Yeah, I think so.
    http://mentalfloss.com/article/52209...ing-everything

Paul - bald, early middle aged guy who knows some kick ass twenty-somethings. We are going to be just fine...

No. It is called we do this voluntarily and we can't read every damn post-that-closely-thankyou-very-much.

And, if you read above, I am not exactly showing favoritism.

Paul - still a bald, early middle aged guy, but one who really should not waste his time with posts like Miel's above because he is about to have a beer with his friends. Thankyou-very-much.
    Oh, I always enjoyed a good drunk mod

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post

Mags,

On a serious note, I'm stuck on Dad duty right now and will be all weekend. Please have a beer for me!
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

this

come on back later, yeah!

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

That was pre-beer. Just imagine if I was post-beer!

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Mags,

On a serious note, I'm stuck on Dad duty right now and will be all weekend. Please have a beer for me!
    You'll appreciate this.. Part of the night was planning out a backpack in July. Since d-low of TTS frame and our two other buddies are also Dads, it takes two months of planning to figure out a weekend that works for them. Being the only DINK, I am reasonably flexible.

(Going to be an off-trail route to an un-named alpine lake below the continental divide. Should be awesome).
    Last edited by Mags; 05-13-2016 at 00:34.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++