WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Are hiking pants necessary--or just base layer?

I keep reading gear lists, and one thing that is missing from many is dedicated "hiking pants." Now, are they missing because wearing them is so obviously NECESSARY that there is no point mentioning them,

OR

Does (almost) nobody wear them, relying on just base-layer leggings and a pair of shorts instead?

My hike will be an 8-week section from Springer to ??? in 2017, beginning the first week of May.

I've always worn hiking pants.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Just a lowly section hiker here, but I wear pants (that can zip off to make shorts) because I like the protection they provide - fewer scratches, bug bites, scrapes (if I should fall), or sunburn (rarely on AT). Shorts are fine, but early am is sometimes cool, so you need layers with them.

I wore only shorts on my thru. When I needed covering on my legs in snow or very cold days I just put on my long underwear base layer under my shorts.

Journal Entries

Hiking in May in the South I would always wear shorts. I'd have long johns to sleep in and rain pants for the wet days. If it's cooler than expected, I have the option of wearing the rain pants over my shorts, which would hold in a lot of heat. I wouldn't normally hike in the long johns unless it was our last day - got to keep sleeping clothes dry - but I would for sure wear them in camp in the cool mornings and evenings. I don't carry a dedicated pair of hiking pants unless it's wintertime.

I have a couple pair of the zip-off convertible pants, but find that they chafe my thighs, so they aren't used anymore.

I wear loose fitting bicycle tights, because they are a little more town acceptable than leggings, for me.

I wear them for the close-fitting ankles to keep out ticks and their smooth surface that frustrate ticks from holding on. I also wear them because they have good quality in terms of windproof and rain shedding for most weather I experience, and bicycling tights can be both warm or cooling.

The only other hiking pants I have worn are nylon, for the same reasons, and they dry-off even more quickly than the bicycling tights however do not provide the warmth of bicycling tights, so I wear nylon fly fishing pants, or chinos, only if warm rain is anticipated.

I put a snap at the ankles of ordinary pants, and wear elastic gaiters, if ticks are present. Usually, I wear the bicyle tights adding stretch gaiters if tick or black flies may be present, because they bite my ankles. I generally only wear fly fishing pants or chinos where there ticks do not live.

In fly fishing pants, chinos, or travel pants, I look for nylon supplex: it is hardwearing and it dries fast.
    Last edited by Connie; 05-12-2016 at 16:45.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Personal preference.

Though with more Lyme disease back East, that may or may not affect your decision.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

I wear zip off hiking pants saturated with permethrin, or Railriders Weatherpants, saturated with permethrin. If I spent more time hiking in the hot, muggy southern states, I'd probably gravitate to shorts.

As Mags said. Personal preference.

Images

I typically use a kilt, but if it's cold I'll put on a pair of base layer long underwear (what they call "leggings" for men because men don't buy "leggings" they buy "base layers"...) That seems to work for me. Plus, with a kilt, you can start wearing those, and then just strip them off in the middle of the trail without taking off pants. They're pretty handy. Of course, I do give everything I wear a good permethrin soak and dry before I hike. I see a decent percentage of women out there in just the spandex leggings. I don't know how town acceptable they are, especially in small southern trail towns, but take a trip to Disney World - they're everywhere, just leggings as pants and nothing else.
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

Images

I was in the Grayson Highlands area a few days ago and noticed many hikers wearing them.It was a bit cool and most were wearing very lightweight ones and most looked like zip off legs.I have some very light non zip ExOffico pants for camp and cool spring days.
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

Images

I hike in shorts unless it's substantially below freezing, or there is cold precipitation. i'll add long john bottoms if it's really cold, or rain pants when needed. Starting in May at Springer I would not bring long pants at all, preferring my hiking shorts and a homemade silnylon rain kilt, and the long johns for sleeping or hanging out in camp or maybe a particularly cold day (though I would not expect that kind of cold in May).

Having had Lyme disease once, I use permethrin on my socks, shorts, shirts, long johns, etc. Seems to have worked so far.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote Rob View Post
    Neither.
    Yep, definitely personal preference.

Some of the decision depends on budget, too. There's no need to spend money on a garment dedicated to one activity. Same with shoes, hat, shirt, etc. Though the zip-off legs sure make you look like a real hiker. Add gaiters and hiking poles, and you're all set!
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

You can't rely on web information like gear lists for your hiking needs. Use some common sense. Pants, yes.

Capri-length leggings for me. I find them to be a nice compromise between pants (what I prefer to wear) and shorts (which I hate). I'm pretty modest and don't like wearing anything that shows my legs above the knee.

I like shorts above 50 and have no issues down to 40.
    Below that I prefer pants.

Recently purchased a pair of Prana stretch Zion pants.
    They are not the lightest (thinnest) but I love that I can roll them up and snap them in place.
    Essentially turning them into knickers.

I have never had a pair of convertible pants as most have too long of an inseam in shorts mode for my liking.

I don't even own a base layer for my legs. Have yet to need them.
    Granted I don't backpack below the teens.

I also like the idea of convertibles but always find the shorts too long and overall too baggy as pants. No doubt they're made baggier so they can be put on without removing shoes.

I tried something new (for me, anyway) recently by wearing shorts and using some cycling leg warmers (just above knee, down to ankles) held up with some safety pins. Worked very well, and with Montbell Dynamo wind pants on top of everything I was totally toasty around 40°F.

I found hiking in Nike capris or compression shorts with zip-off Columbia hiking pants (shorts) on top works well. I have less bug bites up my drawers with the bottom layer on, which also wicks sweat, but the hiking pants/shorts provide protection from branches and sitting on rocks, and has pockets. I zip the legs back on once in camp, helps ward off mosquitoes before bed and when temps drop. The spandex compression layer also removes chafing from the seams of the pants, or the waistbelts.

Convertible pants (EMS) and also a base layer. I get chilled easily, and like having options for warmth and comfort.

Personal preference OP.
    I recommend trying many different clothing variations while training for your outing. You're going to hike to train so wear the clothing you will when out on trail to get the feel of what you like. Keep in mind; clothing feels way different when it's soaking wet and you have 20 more miles to go that day! Also feels a lot different when you've been sweating all day and you're clothes are dirty and loaded w/your bodies salt. Also be cognizant of your hiking and packing style. UL folks think way different than light weight folks and so on. Transitions as a hiker will also naturally cause transitions in clothing worn along with gear, food choices, etc.
    Shake it down; Shake it down!!!
    "I choose to carry very little, but that little is chosen with care." Earl V. Shaffer

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++