WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sporthill rates the pants they sell by use for ambient temperature "climate zones".

I remembered that, as I remembered, just now, to put pants on my geargrams UL list, 11 ounces.

Journal Entries

Shorts on AT in warm humid weather
    Long ventillated pants out west in dusty shadeless terrain, both to keep clean and sun off.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 05-14-2016 at 00:46.

-

for moderate weather my clothing is as little as:

mesh running shoes
    one pair wool socks
    shorts
    synthetic T
    rain jacket

legs make plenty of heat when hiking

Thank you, everyone, for your input. I have a lot of practicing to do it--and a year to spend on it. You have helped me get started!

The main thing is to get out and do a lot of short (1-, 2- and 3-night) trips in all kinds of weather. Wet weather—especially something like a 3-day soaker—really complicates things, so it is especially important to have your wet-weather system dialed in. Being retired, I have the luxury (sometimes, with the Boss' permission, lol) of changing the timing of a trip if it's going to be wet, but every now and then I'll go anyway when it's going to be rainy just to keep the wet-weather skill set and attitude from getting too rusty.

I like the zip-off legs, and wear them until it gets "hot".

To me, the legs of the zip-off pants (treated with permethrin) keep ticks off and keep debris out of my boots. I also like the cargo pockets.

Some people hike in shorts below freezing. As others have said, it's personal preference.

Shoes and shirts are required, apparently pants are optional.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

For $1.50 each I just picked up zippers from Walmart to sew onto the bottom legs of the convertible pants. Some pairs you can't get it over the shoe without taking that off too, this is a quick fix.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Abi View Post
    For $1.50 each I just picked up zippers from Walmart to sew onto the bottom legs of the convertible pants. Some pairs you can't get it over the shoe without taking that off too, this is a quick fix.
    Some of the REI convertible ones have full side zippers.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

I finally found a pair of convertible pants that fit, so I bought them. I got the REI Saharas from the men's department. They fit me much better than the women's pants, which seemed to be designed more for fashion than for function. The men's pants have much better construction, more room in the upper legs for taking big uphill steps, and much better pockets. I love the zip feature in the lower leg that lets you put them on without removing boots. Thanks for all the ideas!

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    Some of the REI convertible ones have full side zippers.
    I really wanted to like them...but they fit odd.

I finally found a pair of convertible pants that fit, so I bought them. I got the REI Saharas from the men's department. They fit me much better than the women's pants, which seemed to be designed more for fashion than for function. The men's pants have much better construction, more room in the upper legs for taking big uphill steps, and much better pockets.
    Yes, indeed. I totally agree; my hiking pants are EMS men's convertibles.

I often purchase men's pants for hiking, for the extra roominess and, often, stronger and more durable superior fabric and stitching for men's pants.

I do not like zip-off pants or side zip (sold as wind pants or rain pants) because of the zipper-bite when moving around setting up the campsite or kneeling.

Default Are hiking pants necessary--or just base layer?

I can't hike in pants unless it's near freezing. If you normally hike in shorts, stick with them, but zip offs will give you some flexibility if it the weather turns cool. It was around 40 this past Saturday night in North Georgia and it would have been tough to hang out at camp/shelter in shorts for long.

Images

I started the AT in mid-March with zip offs. Wore once for a couple hours and sent the bottom portions home at first town stop (Hiawassee). Switch to kilt and have worn for over 11,000 miles except when temps significantly below freezing when I wear pants.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++