WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by adamkrz View Post
    Not everyone is a people lover, Dogs belong more in nature than people, Go walk in in a mall.
    Haven't seen many people hiking with a wolf or coyote.
    More walking, less talking.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    Designated wilderness does not require dogs to be leashed, nor do any laws protect the dog that is running loose. Kind of a double edged sword.
    Not exactly true. Varies by wilderness area. For example, the Pond Mountain Wilderness in TN requires dogs to be on leash or under physical control at all times.
    More walking, less talking.

Quote Originally Posted by soilman View Post
    Not exactly true. Varies by wilderness area. For example, the Pond Mountain Wilderness in TN requires dogs to be on leash or under physical control at all times.
    Gotcha. My only contact with that regulation was in the pacific Northwest when a NP Ranger explained that and other rules like not being able to use gas powered equipment, etc. I presumed all designated wilderness areas were similar in that and other regulations.

Quote Originally Posted by soilman View Post
    AFAIK, all of the start parks and forests that the AT passes thru in NJ require dogs to be on leashes and in the physical control of the owner at all times. I couldn't find any particular exemptions for the "best dog ever" or "world's most responsible dog owner". Its a matter of law, plain and simple. A trail is a shared space that has clearly defined rules and regulations that apply equally to all users, whether a hiker is on trail for a day, a section, or a thru. Knowingly violating those rules because you feel that you are somehow above the law just means you're a delusional idiot who is breaking the law. Some of whiners here (e.g., the mall comment above) act like people expressing support for owners following and officials enforcing an existing leash law is like a non-dog owner going into a dog park and demanding all dogs be leashed. Oh, the outrage...

Journal Entries

This is situation-al and i'm sure a bit isolated but took my boys on an overnight to Panther Creek Falls this weekend (Georgia). So many people. Dogs leashed and unleashed. Really no problems, even with my 11 year old who's not a big dog fan at all. Anyway- we're getting close to the end (the waterfall), and it's really rooty and rocky and everyone starts to bunch up a bit because of different "skill" levels. Well, this very nice and friendly dog has been yoyo-ing with us for the last 20 minutes. It's ahead of it's owners, trotting up to us, then waiting for it's owners, then trotting up to us, then waiting for it's owners, over and over. We get to a sketchy descent and for whatever reason "Coodoo" doesn't want to wait. It's really bunched up here and "Coodoo" slips by a lady in front of me really quickly. The lady was not the most athletic person in the world and it really freaked her out. She said, "That dog nearly took me out!". Her and her companion looked at me like, "Is that your dog?" and I was about to shrug my shoulders when the owner comes up calling for "Coodoo". I was getting perturbed but I thought, okay, at least the owner is here now in this section and can make some sort of remedy (like, i don't know...use a leash for at least this section?). But, then the owner says, "There's just too many people." I indeed bit my tongue. I think I drew blood. Anything that came from my mouth at that moment in front of my kids and all these strangers would not have been PG-13 whatsoever. It truly astounds me how oblivious some people can be. Everything worked out fine though. We continued the descent, got down to the falls...I took some pictures for the lady that claimed she was almost knocked over, "Coodoos" owners played with him in the water- "fetch" and whatnot. It was VERY crowded. But I was proud of my son...he's getting over his fear and it showed...but was godsmacked at "Coodoo's" owner's attitude. "There's just too many people". (I actually agree to an extent- there was too many people! But damn, leash a dog in that kind of environment). For the record- I love dogs- just not so much the lackadaisical attitude of some humans.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by FossilFool View Post
    Just did a short section hike from Fontana Dam to NOC. 4 days, 3 nights. There were 7-8 dogs on the trail. None were on a leash. When we were at the shelters, a couple of them were just running around free. I love dogs, but don't agree that this should happen. I saw 2 piles of feces, one right in the middle of the trail, the other next to a campsite 20' uphill from the water source (Brown Fork Shelter). These could have been human or dog. Either way, it's disgusting and disappointing.
    Yeah, I hate to say it but dog owners are becoming more & more of an "entitled" species & if you ever notice they are normally the 1st to criticize someone elses behavior as their dog runs freely off it's leash
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by adamkrz View Post
    Not everyone is a people lover, Dogs belong more in nature than people, Go walk in in a mall.
    Curious, if you have dogs? Do you let your dogs in your house? Or do they just roam freely within a mile or so of "nature" around your home? They do not belong indoors under your way of thinking so in a sense your are neglecting these animals?
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Images

Quote Originally Posted by wornoutboots View Post
    Curious, if you have dogs? Do you let your dogs in your house? Or do they just roam freely within a mile or so of "nature" around your home? They do not belong indoors under your way of thinking so in a sense your are neglecting these animals?
    Actually yes , Where I live my dog goes in and out when he pleases - He knows where he is welcome and where not - Sorry but i come across more bad people than bad dogs, I'm on the AT mostly in the off season but camp on less frequented trails during the summer and have never had a problem.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Edit: Forget it, I'm tired of the entire subject and tired of checking this thread. Everyone just relax, collectively get over yourselves and go for a hike.
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 05-15-2016 at 19:00.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

leave your dog home

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Edit: Forget it, I'm tired of the entire subject and tired of checking this thread. Everyone just relax, collectively get over yourselves and go for a hike.
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 05-15-2016 at 19:00.

Has turned into yet another anti dog hiking thread, should be shut down.

The BEST advice one could give and that I will give from now on is the following:
    If you are someone on here that has said anything along the lines of " Leave the dogs at home", "dogs tear gear up", "The trail is no place for dogs" then go ahead and go to the "Dogs on the Appalachian trail" forum, and click ignore! you wont ever have to annoy people on the forum again with your ignorant content. No body wants to hear it, and no body cares that that is your opinion. Its not even an opinion. Do you think that people that contribute to the "dogs" section, are going to change their hiking style because someone on the internet has told them to stop taking their hiking buddy's to the AT? NOPE. Your wasting your time.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

No, the thread is anti-irresponsible dog owners. I think the vast majority have no problem with dogs that are leashed and under control.
    Trillium

Hiking with a dog on a leash is not an option. Ruins the day for the hiker and the dog.

Quote Originally Posted by doingtime View Post
    Hiking with a dog on a leash is not an option.

Actually, it certainly is an option as lots of folks do it. It may not be a desirable option in your case, but it's definitely an option.

Quote Originally Posted by doingtime View Post

Ruins the day for the hiker and the dog.
    I can certainly see it ruining a hiker's day if their entire hike is built around letting their dog run free and/or not paying sufficient attention to their dog. On the dog's end, I suspect that the dog would not consider the day ruined. I have yet to see or hear of any dog that's gone home and moped the evening away because they were on a leash that day.

Quote Originally Posted by Trillium View Post
    No, the thread is anti-irresponsible dog owners. I think the vast majority have no problem with dogs that are leashed and under control.
    This, and I like dogs.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Has turned into yet another anti dog hiking thread, should be shut down.

The BEST advice one could give and that I will give from now on is the following:
    If you are someone on here that has said anything along the lines of " Leave the dogs at home", "dogs tear gear up", "The trail is no place for dogs" then go ahead and go to the "Dogs on the Appalachian trail" forum, and click ignore! you wont ever have to annoy people on the forum again with your ignorant content. No body wants to hear it, and no body cares that that is your opinion. Its not even an opinion. Do you think that people that contribute to the "dogs" section, are going to change their hiking style because someone on the internet has told them to stop taking their hiking buddy's to the AT? NOPE. Your wasting your time.
    More importantly, the dog owners who are participating in the "Dogs on the Appalachian trail" forum are there because they have in interest in helping each other learn how to hike with their dogs responsibly and enjoyably. Most of us are tired of hearing people bitch about bad experiences they've had on the trail with dogs who's owners don't have them in control. Do you really think that the people that are letting their dogs charge around the trail out of control, crapping on the trail and stealing food are the same owners who are bothering to sign up for a whiteblaze account in order to participate in a responsible dog forum? No? Didn't think so.

If you have a problem with how someone's dog is behaving on the trail, say something to their face (do try to be civil and constructive about it though) it really does work especially if it's an inexperienced hiker that doesn't realize that they are causing a problem. However if whatever you have to say isn't important enough to say something to them at the time then do the rest of us a favor and don't come to the dog forum to whine about it after the fact.

(P.S. I know we are now in the Trail Concerns forum and not the dog forum, the Moderators moved the thread since it didn't belong in the dog forum)

I love dogs and I love hiking with dogs. When I still had a dog, I frequently hiked with him off leash, but he grew up in an area that had "dog control" laws, not "leash" laws. He was a push button dog that listened well, was eager to please, always stuck close....sometimes too close, LOL, and responded to commands almost instantly.We did obedience, herding and agility before we ever started backpacking. I let him off leash because I trusted him. He was friendly but had been trained not to jump up so I didn't worry about him muddying up someone. That being said, 75% of dogs off leash on trails don't belong off leash or on trails. I've had several friends that have had dogs threaten them, attack their own dogs, or overly friendly dogs that jump up coating you in muddy paw prints or or buffalo past you, knocking you off trail. Even well trained dogs need to be watched like a hawk and therefore be within sight at all times, because even the best pooches occasionally make poor choices. In areas that require leashes, if someone asks you to put the leash on, you should do it, no complaints. In areas that don't if you have control and can prove it, then I feel its optional. Where I lived 10 years ago there were no "leash laws", and since my dog wasn't doing anything other than minding his own business and fetching his ball, I would more often than not refuse to leash him when asked because it was not required by law and my dog was behaving.

Quote Originally Posted by FossilFool View Post
    Just did a short section hike . . . 4 days, 3 nights. . . I saw 2 piles of feces . . .
    Since moving to New England, I dream about one day being able to go on a 4-day hike and only find two piles of feces (or paper evidence there of). We are a disgusting species. Thank goodness dogs haven't started using toilet paper yet.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Images

I feel like I'm always fighting for dogs on this forum - first of all my dog is well trained and I always ask oncoming hikers if I should leash him even though he'll just walk by them. I do agree if you have a wild dog or young dog in training - keep them under control.

A well trained dog is the best hiking/backpacking buddy you can have.

Whiteblaze has many members who have thousands of posts but still trolls in my book - negative everything, over the years many hardcore hikers have left this forum - Lets help each other and stop the negativity.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++