WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

With the dramatic increase in people attempting a thru hike, an increase in the number of dogs they bring along is inevitable, along with the problems they cause. Thankfully, most don't make it all that far up the trail.

Section, weekend and day hiker dogs are a bigger problem. So far, (as a flip flopper) we've only encountered day hiker dogs on the weekends. But it's early in the season and not many are out on the northern sections of the trail now.
    Last edited by Slo-go'en; 05-16-2016 at 10:06.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by adamkrz View Post
    Whiteblaze has many members who have thousands of posts but still trolls in my book - negative everything, over the years many hardcore hikers have left this forum - Lets help each other and stop the negativity.
    Some of us who have spent a lot of time hiking the AT have had many bad dog experiences over the years and hence the negativity. So you have a well trained dog. I've heard that so many times and encountered differently that I don't believe it any more.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by adamkrz View Post

A well trained dog is the best hiking/backpacking buddy you can have.

Well said and so true.

I love dogs
    dogs love people
    i love dogs

Quote Originally Posted by doingtime View Post
    Hiking with a dog on a leash is not an option. Ruins the day for the hiker and the dog.
    Has it even occurred to you that having an unleashed dog come running down the trail at a hiker may ruin the day for that hiker who knows nothing about how "special" your dog may be? Going out on a limb here and thinking probably not. What would really ruin the day for a dog is having a hiker defend themself from a strange dog running at them by using either bear spray or a trekking pole. So much for responsible dog ownership...

If your that scared of a dog on the trail, maybe you need to toughen up a little. I am prepared to defend myself against anything aggressive, be it bear, dog, or human.

I've had dogs run up on me when alone and with my dog. Still didn't "ruin" my day. I'm either going to pet them, or gut them. It's their choice.

Images

Hiking with a dog on a leash is not an option. Ruins the day for the hiker and the dog.

some places its not an option but a requirement............

Images

If your that scared of a dog on the trail, maybe you need to toughen up a little.

huh?

what if an aggressive dog runs up on a toddler?

do you suggest the kid "toughen up a little bit"?

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    huh?

Um, perhaps when the writing statement you quoted the poster assumed we were intelligent enough to understand that he wasn't advocating for letting aggressive dogs run around uncontrolled, since that would be obviously reckless. Perhaps he gave us too much credit...
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    huh?

If the toddler is alone on the trail, then yes, I would suggest the kid toughen up.

If the toddler is with a parent or guardian, as they should be, then my original statement stands.

I believe a toddler running loose on a trail would be more irresponsible than a dog running loose, but then again, I'm a dog lover, not a hater.

Quote Originally Posted by wornoutboots View Post
    Yeah, I hate to say it but dog owners are becoming more & more of an "entitled" species & if you ever notice they are normally the 1st to criticize someone elses behavior as their dog runs freely off it's leash
    The problem is that dog owners are adopting the same attitude many people have about their children: They're just kids, and that's what kids do. For some reason people think that others should be required to put up with the behavior of their children and dogs. And with kids these days many parents don't understand who is in charge.

If your that scared of a dog on the trail, maybe you need to toughen up a little. I am prepared to defend myself against anything aggressive, be it bear, dog, or human.

I've had dogs run up on me when alone and with my dog. Still didn't "ruin" my day. I'm either going to pet them, or gut them. It's their choice.
    While I enter the woods prepared to deal with anything, you can bet that if someone else's dog (or child) harms me or my property the owner is going to pay for it, whether it be a legitimately aggressive dog or child or a dog or child who is just plain excited and having fun and is unable to control themselves.

Please don't let your toddler crawl around and keep your toddler on a leash and outta shelters, and off my four hundred dollar sleep system, I don't want any spittle on it, cause baby's smell and they're noisy.

...in fact, if you were ever a baby in your life, just go sleep off in the woods away from me, cause yur prolly not shelter broke.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Please don't let your toddler crawl around and keep your toddler on a leash and outta shelters, and off my four hundred dollar sleep system, I don't want any spittle on it, cause baby's smell and they're noisy.
    Can't we please just once have a civil conversation about dogs without you anti-toddler folks coming out of the woodwork to complain?!
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Can't we please just once have a civil conversation about dogs without you anti-toddler folks coming out of the woodwork to complain?!
    prolly not...I'm sorry, we now return to our normal antics of dog gones.

For the record, I love dogs and toddlers....

I have dogs, love dogs.
    If your unleashed dog comes at me on the trail, and I feel the threatened, he'll get the pepper spray
    Same as when I'm running in your 'hood and he comes running out of your yard
    Been bitten twice, won't happen again
    The older I get, the faster I hiked.

If the toddler is alone on the trail, then yes, I would suggest the kid toughen up.

If the toddler is with a parent or guardian, as they should be, then my original statement stands.

I believe a toddler running loose on a trail would be more irresponsible than a dog running loose, but then again, I'm a dog lover, not a hater.
    You do realize that you can be both a dog lover and a responsible dog owner, don't you? Of course you do. The flaw in your sweeping (and nonsensical statement) is that its based on the supposition that anyone that calls out irresponsible and possibly illegal (depending on location) dog owner behavior is automatically a "dog hater". The issue isn't dogs, its owners - and you continue to prove this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore View Post
    You do realize that you can be both a dog lover and a responsible dog owner, don't you? Of course you do. The flaw in your sweeping (and nonsensical statement) is that its based on the supposition that anyone that calls out irresponsible and possibly illegal (depending on location) dog owner behavior is automatically a "dog hater". The issue isn't dogs, its owners - and you continue to prove this point.
    Exactly. Control your dog, or I have the right to protect myself and my stuff
    The older I get, the faster I hiked.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++