WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by doingtime View Post
    If your that scared of a dog on the trail, maybe you need to toughen up a little. I am prepared to defend myself against anything aggressive, be it bear, dog, or human.

I've had dogs run up on me when alone and with my dog. Still didn't "ruin" my day. I'm either going to pet them, or gut them. It's their choice.
    I believe that's what I said...

Dog(s) owner, dog lover. My dogs don't bother anyone and I expect the same from other dogs & owners. A leash means nothing. You don't know me.

Never had a problem on the trail with my dogs, other dogs or people, BTW. But then again, I am an aggressive alpha male and have no problem making that known to dogs and owners. It works better than internet bitching.

Internet d-bags, now they're everywhere

Some points of observation: In the 50+ years now I've been hiking, I have been around a LOT of dogs both on and off trail.

I have had aggressive dogs leave their yards to intimidate me and on one occasion bite my wife.

I have NEVER come upon a dog running loose on a back-country trail that was aggressive toward me or my dog (if I have her with me). Sure, dogs get attitudes and can growl and nip at one another once in a while. But again, I have NEVER come upon a dog running loose on a back-country trail that was truly aggressive. I have been nearly bitten and had my dog aggressively attacked by leashed dogs on the trail. But, I have NEVER had the owner of an aggressive dog let their dog run loose, and with one exception never had them be anything but apologetic about their dogs' aggressive behavior.

That being said, I do run into loose, overly friendly dogs all the time. I generally don't let them jump up on me. If I miss and they do jump, I might get a bit of mud on my hiking cloths, almost, but not quite the end of the world.

I have also been around dogs that are food thieves. If I were in a shelter and someone had a dog running loose that was bothering my by walking on my gear, licking my face without asking, or stealing my food, I would definitely ask the dog owner to keep the dog away from me and my space. I can't imagine it would be a problem except in very rare cases where the owner's attitude cannot be blamed on the dog.

I just don't understand why this is all such a big deal for a fair number of folks. I run into far more obnoxious people on the trail than dogs, and I don't hear endless griping about obnoxious people.

Here's a challenge, that, given the number of hiking miles among the people on these forums, I'd imagine CAN be met. But, I would like to challenge, non-the-less, anyone to tell a true story of being harmed by an aggressive unleashed dog while backpacking.

I would also like to hear someone honestly claim that they have seen more dog poop than human poop (or remnants there of) while backpacking. Or, honestly claim that they have had more gear damaged by a dog than by people and the people's poor choices, bad luck, and inconsiderate behavior.

The problem dogs are the friendly ones, not the aggressive ones. AND, the friendly problems are pretty easy to deal with by being firm, nice, and assertive.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by doingtime View Post

Internet d-bags, now they're everywhere
    Especially Julian, NC it seems.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    If your dog starts tearing up hikers gear this could turn into a gun thread.
    I am so reluctantly for this, sort of the justification of the 2nd, though I don't care to admit it. But, sorry, all and all I can't morally justify shooting the dog owner, but just wish someone could take that dog from them to someone who will really care for the dog and not just themselves and their precious entitled pet.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Some of us who have spent a lot of time hiking the AT have had many bad dog experiences over the years and hence the negativity. So you have a well trained dog. I've heard that so many times and encountered differently that I don't believe it any more.
    I've been in the woods since the early 70's, When as kids were playing sports I was in the forest - The only reason I'm here on the internet because I retired and take care of my granddaughter full time.

As far as running into problem dogs maybe 2-3 times - Running into problem people - COUNTLESS, I would need hours to get into it - Even had to break camp to get police officers to remove someone dangerous from the A.T.

Images

I'm about out of popcorn.
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Cleaner View Post
    I'm about out of popcorn.
    Switch to bite size snickers bars. This thead's not going anywhere for a while
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore View Post
    Especially Julian, NC it seems.
    Dude, you just proved my point

I was attacked five times on my thru hike. Attack: dog bearing teeth, aggressive posture. The owners responses were the usual: 'it doesnt bite'!
    The dog is protecting its owner, I get that, but owners think that they fully understand their dogs and none do. Its a communication issue, dogs dont speak English and owners dont speak dog. Its that simple. We think that we know our friends and family who we can understand, but still the unexpected happens and we question our judgement of this person. Every time that I was attacked, the dog was obviously off its leash but was allowed to walk in front of its owner thus giving the animal Alpha status. This is basic dog psychology which most owners do not know, because if they did, they would not allow the animal to walk in front of them, enter or leave the house before people or feed the animal before the peopld have eaten. But the facts are, that either way, dogs do attack people when off the leash and no dog owner should ever be 100% sure that their dog would never bite another person. If there is any doubt, and there should be, then dogs should always be on a leash in a public place. It really is this simple.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Time to put this thread back in the kennel..
    Last edited by Mags; 05-17-2016 at 00:31.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++