WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by bearcreek View Post
    Muzzle loader and Archery seasons then. Some orange glow is probably a good idea, but these hunters are usually more skilled and there are fewer of them than during the rifle season.
    Thx...will bring lil orange.

Would love to have my wife on the trail. Not going to happen however.

The biggest problem I see, is the altitude, trying to go from florida to 10K+ will be hard for both of you. If you only have two weeks, and no acclimation. Sounds like possible headaches.

I would go for it and start slow.

Quote Originally Posted by Ercoupe View Post
    Would love to have my wife on the trail. Not going to happen however.

The biggest problem I see, is the altitude, trying to go from florida to 10K+ will be hard for both of you. If you only have two weeks, and no acclimation. Sounds like possible headaches.

I would go for it and start slow.
    Looking like she's bailing as I figured so I'll likely shoot for late sept. Last sept I flew out to jmt without any altitude related issues so hopefully will not be effected as I'll plan on 10 days if it's just me and the dog.

Good luck. We'll probably be headed back to Texas when you start.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Journal Entries

I don't want to get this thread too off track but I had a newbie question involving the Collegiate Loop.

I am looking at a solo hike in Aug/Sep and am considering the Collegiate Loop, Tahoe Rim Trail, and JMT (if I can figure out logistics/permits). Between these 3 options is there one that anyone would recommend over the others?

Main considerations:
    -Time of year (I think the weather should be great in all 3, any other seasonal concerns?)
    -First solo "long distance" trip (only prior backpacking is a group 3 nt Rim to Rim in Grand Canyon-N Kaibab>Bright Angel)
    -Other stuff I may not have thought of yet

I would be able to get in a few 2-4 nt trips in AZ/NM/ID between now and Aug to get some practice with gear and being solo. I have lots of experience day hiking mountains in AZ/NM/NV.

There are so many options out west it is hard to decide.

Only can comment on jmt....but there's a reason jmt is so hard to get a traditional permit for!!! It's incredible! I'm looking forward to doing the loop this year but doubt there's anything that could rival the jmt...I met a cool guy while on jmt last sept who wrote several hiking books...good reads...

Backpacking's Triple Crown: the Junior Version: Hiking the Best of America's Long Trails https://www.amazon.com/dp/153087923X..._E2dpxbVXD1Y1G

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by aztarheel View Post
    I don't want to get this thread too off track but I had a newbie question involving the Collegiate Loop.

I am looking at a solo hike in Aug/Sep and am considering the Collegiate Loop, Tahoe Rim Trail, and JMT (if I can figure out logistics/permits). Between these 3 options is there one that anyone would recommend over the others?

Main considerations:
    -Time of year (I think the weather should be great in all 3, any other seasonal concerns?)
    -First solo "long distance" trip (only prior backpacking is a group 3 nt Rim to Rim in Grand Canyon-N Kaibab>Bright Angel)
    -Other stuff I may not have thought of yet

I would be able to get in a few 2-4 nt trips in AZ/NM/ID between now and Aug to get some practice with gear and being solo. I have lots of experience day hiking mountains in AZ/NM/NV.

There are so many options out west it is hard to decide.
    ^^^^^^^^^^

Flip a coin.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Images

There might be a concern in acclimating to the altitude. Consider getting your MD to get a RX for Diamox (generic is acetazolamide). Be sure to drink plenty of water at altitude.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++