WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Very good, very sad read. Maybe....someone's life will be saved because of what Otter went through and shared.

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    No doubt that Otter was super competent, maybe one of the best. But analyses of such deaths detail not one, but a series of errors and circumstances that lead to the death. He turned in his Spot so he could have more money for hiking food. He was not clear about his route in talking to his friends. He lacked snowshoes or skis, even though storms were somewhat likely. A search was done with aircraft rather than with snowmobiles (one plane flew right over him but didn't see him). The jurisdiction of N Mex and Colo authorities got in the way of an effective search. The search was called off when a bearded man was seen in town, and assumed to be him (it wasn't). Despite all that, he lived for several months under horrible circumstances (mostly just waiting in a concrete privy in below zero conditions). Terrible tragedy. He was definitely not doing what he loved. He didn't want to be there.

Anyway, great article in Outside. Read it.
    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I might add that a similar thing happened to an older lady who got turned around on the AT in Maine. She just got lost and died. Otter wasn't lost, but he was trapped. Same outcome.

I take some interest in this just because I've come close a few times. Do enough stuff for enough years and you'll know what I mean...

I think one commonality between Otter and Geraldine's cases is that misidentification altered the search patterns. There was another female hiker misidentified as Geraldine and that made it seem that Geraldine was higher upslope. Projections of her possible position were too far ahead. In Otter's case, misidentification lessened the search effort.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

I have watched his Youtube videos and found them interesting and helpful. I am sorry to learn of this and learned of it after the fact but just now writing this post. I have hiked through that campground. Will do so again on my 2023 CDT hike. I'll stop and pay my respects although it is not his place of burial. I respect those who go out before me, risking, living going and living the dream.

Wow what a sad but incredible story on surviving. This is now at the very top of my list as the worst way to go, I can't think of anything worse. To be out there from Nov-Feb, surviving on nothing but horse oats for weeks, maybe months. All alone, knowing it's over and dwelling on your mistake, even seeing the rescue plane fly over. Sure there are more painful ways to die but usually over fairly quick, even from cancer your in a hospital surrounded by family/friends with pain killers and stuff. I almost had to stop reading when he was talking about the 2nd time he tried suicide. I just read this yesterday and couldn't stop thinking about it since.

RIP
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

Images

That's a sad thing to hear, and my condolences to everyone who knew him. Life can be fragile and lost so easily. There is much to be learned from his story.
    Long-distance aspirations with short-distance feet.... :jump

Very difficult to read and watch the last videos.
    It's a horrible, terrible way to go. RIP

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++