WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gracebowen View Post
    30 day bucket $90. A bit over 2000 calories a day equals about half the food ill need for a month.
    ?????? What bucket??
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Aargh i can't get the link to post. It's on eBay from Aauguson farms. 1800 calories a day. I was previously a bit off.

They also have it at my local Sam's club.
    It might go up a bit before I get to hike. Plus I have to try it first.

It's on eBay from Aauguson farms. 1800 calories a day. I was previously a bit off.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/331899698494

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    It is embarrassing for me to read this, I know the trail is far from story book, book I doubt ol' Myron or Benton ever begged for anything, other than a trail to walk
    Every backpacker I know is a beggar---we're all begging to hike and camp on public land (or not so public), we're all begging Miss Nature to give us rain to survive---and even the food we buy is eaten with the teeth and digestive systems not really of our own making. Try humping up a mountain trail under load without oxygen (or lungs) and see how far you go.

In the many years I spent on and around the AT, I often times carried a clarinet and/or wooden recorder and hitched to various trail towns to play street music for cash money. Here's a pic of me pulling some street music for cash back in 1982. Begging? Sure, why not? (And check out the pack I lived out of for years---North Face external).

In those years I always dumpster dived for food and thought it a major sin to let it get thrown away and left to rot.

Love it Tipi!

where i am now, which might not be where i am tomorrow

hell yeah tipi!! i dumpster dive everyday. yes, everyday. i spend nothing on food. yes, nothing.

however, i play trombone, not clarinet.

I found $50 in a dumpster once.

People doing this gives hikers a bad name

I wasn't hiking when I found it.

It'd be great to hear back from Mother Natures Son. I wonder how he's doing and I love that song!
    Because I found a home in haunts which others scorned, the partial wood-gods granted me the freedom of their state, and chiefest prize found I true liberty, the home of homes plain dealing Nature gave

Ha, wrong thread!
    Because I found a home in haunts which others scorned, the partial wood-gods granted me the freedom of their state, and chiefest prize found I true liberty, the home of homes plain dealing Nature gave

Images

It's on eBay from Aauguson farms. 1800 calories a day. I was previously a bit off.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/331899698494

Pretty horrible stuff, we tried it to see if it would be something worth keeping around for the next hurricane. It wasn't.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Survival food has got to be a great business to be in...people buy your stuff and then store it away and never use it so they don't know how poor quality it is.

Quote Originally Posted by misprof View Post
    People doing this gives hikers a bad name
    People doing what? Dumpster diving? Begging?

I've got a different approach. In my opinion backpackers who glom onto trail shelters or who carry minimal food and rush to trail towns give hikers a bad name.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    Survival food has got to be a great business to be in...people buy your stuff and then store it away and never use it so they don't know how poor quality it is.
    ...and in a perfect world they aren't repeat customers...what a buesiness plan.

Quote Originally Posted by lemon b View Post
    If one runs out of money it is time to go home. Your not prepared.
    Correction!
    If your down to the price of a bus ticket home. Then it's time to head home.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoofit View Post
    Yogiing, or however you spell it, is just a fancy word for begging in my opinion.
    If the ultimate end result is to get something for free, then what's the real difference.
    The use of the word ' yogi' is just a feel good factor to lessen the blow.
    Hey, if you're going to scrounge something off me, at least have the China's to be upfront about it!
    (spellcheck changed Cahunas to China's ! Ha!)
    If I am wrong, someone please enlighten me...
    cahonies - vulgar slang - Spanish in origin - spelling is English - usually always plural. You got the context right. he he he

Journal Entries
    Images

Well I admit part of my resupply plan is to utilize hiker boxes but I wont plunder them or take food I deem too questionable.
    Why not just rely on your OWN resources to resupply? Hope is not a plan. If everyone relied on hiker boxes for food, how do you think the hostels W/ resupply would stay in business?

Hiking is a hobby, an option. If you're hiking as a career you'd better be prepared to WORK in exchange for your food money, not expect it.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

Quote Originally Posted by JumpMaster Blaster View Post
    Why not just rely on your OWN resources to resupply? Hope is not a plan. If everyone relied on hiker boxes for food, how do you think the hostels W/ resupply would stay in business?

Hiking is a hobby, an option. If you're hiking as a career you'd better be prepared to WORK in exchange for your food money, not expect it.
    As I already explained it is PART OF not my whole plan. If I check the hiker box first and find something I need such as half a box of bandaids why buy a box if I only need a few. Whats wrong with me taking 3 or 4 and leaving the rest for someone else?

I also said im gonna buy and try some dehydrated food I found online. If I like it its almost half of my daily calories needed and its only $90.

Others have said its horrible but we all have different taste buds. My kids love mustard. I hate it.etc.

where i am now, which might not be where i am tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    People doing what? Dumpster diving? Begging?

I've got a different approach. In my opinion backpackers who glom onto trail shelters or who carry minimal food and rush to trail towns give hikers a bad name.
    hell yeah again tipi!! and it's not "dumpster diving," it's "food rescuing." and i rescued 11 bags of snickers minis, 3 pounds of grapes, bananas, apples, plums, wheat thins, triscuits, 4 boxes of raisin bran, a gallon of milk, a half gallon of OJ, and 3 pounds of yogurt just today!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++