WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Spend vs difference in these 3 pretty similar sleeping bags, thoughts?

Hi,

Im looking at these two:

WM Sycamore MF, 2lbs. $489.00, 25 EN, 850 fill down, fill weight 17 oz, quilts out, open foot box
    http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/sho...8_10000001_-1_

Sea To Summit Trek II, 2lbs, 4oz, $239.00 (on sale) 18 EN, 650 fill down, fill weight 17.6 oz, quilts out, open footbox
    https://www.rei.com/product/830941/s...c:cse_PLA_GOOG

Sierra Designs Zissou, 23 EN, 2lbs, 15.6 oz fill weight, 700 down, $199, but not footbox, doesnt quilt out.
    https://www.rei.com/product/102275/sierra-designs-zissou-23-sleeping-bag

So, in specs they seem pretty similar or am I missing something?

4oz more on the SToSUmmit bag, about $150 cheaper.

thoughts?

The WM bag would probably be quite a bit warmer than the zissou at the same weight.

The WM is expensive because it's 850 fill down (typically a lot pricier than 650/700 fill) and the company has a great reputation for quality bags that last

the sale price on the trek is good... so if you want to cut some cost and aren't "super ultra-light, must save all ounces", then that ones seems pretty good to me.

If you're looking at the weight of these bags, you should definitely check out quilts. Enlightened Equipment, Hammock Gear, Zpacks etc

When I was bag shopping awhile back, the Sycamore was on my short list along with the Alpinlite. I stumbled upon a deal on the Alpinlite. I would have been just as happy with the Sycamore.
    I also own the WM Antelope.
    These are my best pieces of gear. They aren't expensive. They are a lifetime investment.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

So is it a big deal if the WM bag is not water repellant? (I have no clue)

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

I'd hands down vote for WM bag too. Packs up small, light weight and super high quality. Disclaimer: I own 2 WM bags and have owned 2 others.

Quote Originally Posted by tombolino View Post
    So is it a big deal if the WM bag is not water repellant? (I have no clue)
    From the WM site, "All of our fabrics are finished with a DWR, (Durable Water Repellent) that is rated as 80/20. This is an industry measure of durability that suggests that 80% DWR is retained after 20 washings. In reality this rating is for laboratory test procedure only and is not realistic for home washing." So yeah, all their bags are water repellant.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

thank you!

check out the REI igneo on sale right now as well. on for $220 right now and is comparable. Can't go wrong with the WM bag, but if you are looking to spend less, this is an option

The Igneo is a great bag for the price. No, it is not in the same league as the WM or the cottage industry quilts, but for the price you get a very good quality 20* bag for less than 2 pounds.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    These are my best pieces of gear. They aren't expensive. They are a lifetime investment.

Well said. I have the Ultralite. Can't go wrong with a long bag that is 2#.
    nous défions

It's gonna be ok.

Ditch Medicine: wash your hands and keep your booger-pickers off your face!

++ New Posts ++