WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Tips needed on use Zpacks Poncho/pack cover/ground cloth

I recently used this in the UK for two weeks and liked it apart from wet arms in rain. I did think about making some long cuffs to help with the wet arms -any one made those. Any tips on putting it on without hanging myself, though better than the Pertex poncho I had before.

Images

It does take practice and doesn't work well for larger packs. I have not been successful in getting it on by myself with it already fully zipped on both sides. It can be done if you have a partner to help. But since I usually hike solo, I've tried all of the following and haven't converged on the best system yet:

1) Start with it fully unzipped... I put it on and get it over my pack, find the correct corners on one side, zip up that side, repeat for other side. It does take a bit of being Harry Houdini to have the dexterity to do all that ... especially in a heavy rain and/or high winds.

2) If you start with it fully unzipped and it's not really windy, I skip zipping up and use the elastic cords to keep it secured around my waist.

3) Alternatively, I've recently tried the method where I keep one side fully zipped and the other side completely unzipped. I have been able to get it on and over my pack that way fairly easy and thus I only have one side to attempt to zip up if it's raining hard enough where I want to be fully zipped.
    Last edited by SteelCut; 05-19-2016 at 15:15.
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

I use steel's method # 1. I just try and make sure it's over the pack properly and aligned right before I mess with the sides

And I've learned that cursing at the poncho doesn't help, it just makes me look like a crazy hunchback doing circles in the rain.

++ New Posts ++