WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Is the StratoSpire 2 too much tent for one?

I've got it narrowed down for my PCT SoBo thru hike that I will begin in July.

It is between Tarptent's SS1 and SS2.

Both have the same pack dimensions.

The SS 2 is 10 oz heavier, but I have a feeling that 10 oz really goes a long way. Plus if I ever want the more space for others in the future it's there.

Any one have input before I pull the final trigger? Thank you so much.

Since your primary purpose is for a thru hike, I would go with the SS1 and save the 10 ozs.

This sounds wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Hosh View Post
    Since your primary purpose is for a thru hike, I would go with the SS1 and save the 10 ozs.
    Agreed.
    I'm very close to overcoming decision paralysis.
    I'm down to the SS 1 and Solong 6.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Agreed.

Wayne
    Just something about the SS aesthetic design that really makes me happy. Maybe at the end of the day, when you definitely have it narrowed down to two great tents, looks come into play?

Now the question is for the SS... do I buy the "solid" wall interior in addition the mesh and carry both of them with me for the option of interchangeability? Cascades and Sierras could warrant the warmer solid wall.

I have owned 3 TT's. My other issue is the low venting on many/most of their tents. Not an issue for everyone, but the cool night breeze is right in your face, depending on conditions. I am a rotisserie sleeper and found the exposure to wind unpleasant.

I have contemplated buying a Moment DW, yes I have a gear obsession, but would get the solid interior. Much of my backpacking is at altitude in sub-alpine environs, so cool/cold night breeze is pretty common. The extra ounce or so would be worth it for me and would only carry the solid interior. The cost/weight difference is pretty minimal.

I have owned 3 TT's. My other issue is the low venting on many/most of their tents. Not an issue for everyone, but the cool night breeze is right in your face, depending on conditions. I am a rotisserie sleeper and found the exposure to wind unpleasant.

I have contemplated buying a Moment DW, yes I have a gear obsession, but would get the solid interior. Much of my backpacking is at altitude in sub-alpine environs, so cool/cold night breeze is pretty common. The extra ounce or so would be worth it for me and would only carry the solid interior. The cost/weight difference is pretty minimal.
    Yes. I think I will carry both mesh and solid. I am not accustomed to cold all too well besides breaking ice dams for a week in Boston 2 years ago during their 100 inches of snow. Other that I am from Florida and have lived in Texas for 3 years. I am already going pretty light. I think mesh and solid will be able to be okay.

I think you might be expecting too much from a solid inner. While certainly a solid inner will impede the infiltration of dust and fine dirt, I doubt you would notice a significant interior temperature difference. Carry one inner and rely on your sleeping bag/quilt for warmth. I have the SS 2 with mesh inner and have been very happy however, hiking the arid and dusty Southwest would make the solid inner a better choice.

Good Luck

I would pick one or the other and not carry both. If it's too hot, you can vent pretty easily. The vestibules are big enough that you could leave one or both open even in a driving rain.

I would pick one or the other and not carry both. If it's too hot, you can vent pretty easily. The vestibules are big enough that you could leave one or both open even in a driving rain.
    If it's too hot with the solid you mean? I am starting Sobo in July so I will be in the desert in the fall. I think more so the cold is going be the feature weather temp.

Read about half way down.

I have put about 1000 miles on the ss2. It is IMO the perfect size 1 man tent, or couples tent if you sleep with your packs under your head as I do.

I do have to say that the SS1 or 2 design all the same, requires a very specific ground area to setup ideally. "One root in the wrong spot means a reset". Tight areas like I found in Mass, where theres just now a lot of flat land to choose from can become difficult to pitch.

Pros: Its light, fairly inexpensive, has never let me down in huge storms or <4 inches of flooding.

cons: Setup is specific, wind HAS blown it up off the ground enough to let the pole collapse on me(one timeon Grassy bald, roan highlands).

I have the all mesh inside nest and love it, couldn't see needing the solid wall.
    I am looking at getting the cloudburst3
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Read about half way down.

I have put about 1000 miles on the ss2. It is IMO the perfect size 1 man tent, or couples tent if you sleep with your packs under your head as I do.

I do have to say that the SS1 or 2 design all the same, requires a very specific ground area to setup ideally. "One root in the wrong spot means a reset". Tight areas like I found in Mass, where theres just now a lot of flat land to choose from can become difficult to pitch.

Pros: Its light, fairly inexpensive, has never let me down in huge storms or <4 inches of flooding.

cons: Setup is specific, wind HAS blown it up off the ground enough to let the pole collapse on me(one timeon Grassy bald, roan highlands).

I have the all mesh inside nest and love it, couldn't see needing the solid wall.
    I am looking at getting the cloudburst3
    Do you think something like the Solong 6 from Lightheart is about the same situation in regards to setup?

Quote Originally Posted by Rybir View Post
    Now the question is for the SS... do I buy the "solid" wall interior in addition the mesh and carry both of them with me for the option of interchangeability? Cascades and Sierras could warrant the warmer solid wall.
    Tough question. I wouldn't carry both. That's just me and my new found weight dropping ideas.
    However, if I buy the SS 1, I will buy the solid inner tent for use in the desert and around snow.
    I also plan to use the fly alone when bugs aren't a problem. That to me is the biggest advantage of a real double wall tent.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

My primary purpose has changed to more of a duration goal: e out there at least two months. Doing a thru hike and daily high mileage isn't the goal. so now I am leaning towards the extra space

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Agreed.

Wayne
    These are the two I am thinking of too. What are you looking at as pros con's of each?

Here are mine

SS1
    Huge Vestibules, probably would not use them much
    Easy to open 1-4 sides of vestibule
    small size 32x86 floor. should be able to fit bag at head with 6ft mat
    48 in height. with apex at angle to floor, it looks like it might be easier to have 2 people sit in tent if you drop down netting and widen floor.
    True 2 wall tent.
    no pocket-can it be added?

Solong 6
    100 in x 30 in. with 55in wide at center.
    45 in height
    small vestibules, for shoes only?
    awning or close in, extra pole for awning.
    lots more floor space inside, bag beside or at head/feet
    not sure if you can open each of 4 sides of vestibule separately. couldn't find any pictures with 1/4 or 2/4 open.
    has a pocket which I like.
    most of tent is 2 walled.

Interested in what others see as the benefits of each

"I do have to say that the SS1 or 2 design all the same, requires a very specific ground area to setup ideally. "One root in the wrong spot means a reset".
    I shot a video sometime ago showing a workaround this problem.Can be used for most tents ;
    <span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); background-color: rgb(235, 235, 235);">

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    "I do have to say that the SS1 or 2 design all the same, requires a very specific ground area to setup ideally. "One root in the wrong spot means a reset".
    I shot a video sometime ago showing a workaround this problem.Can be used for most tents ;
    <span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); background-color: rgb(235, 235, 235);">
    Great. Thank you. I liked your "How to set up on rock video" too

Thanks for your comment Rybir.
    Be careful though, I read somewhere here that there are manufacturer's shills about.

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Thanks for your comment Rybir.
    Be careful though, I read somewhere here that there are manufacturer's shills about.
    Hmm...yes. Could be very true Franco.

Regardless, I pulled the trigger on Stratospire 1. Feeling good about it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++